All reviews western theme themed hotel country music ribs steak and eggs coffee machine monkey nuts wild west theme indian tribes american beers fun place to stay great shower spa valley railway restaurant downstairs breakfast was included a great stay good size
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Not expecting too much from a 'Western Theme' hotel in Tunbridge Wells we went with friends for a quick overnight break.
From the outside the building is very imposing and the western theme wears well on the old station. Plenty of free parking at the rear, which is always welcome. Inside the first thing you notice is it's saloon style and I have to say that it's not bad. Having travelled the Mid West they have certainly done their homework. Some may think it's a pastiche but these places do exist out there. Check-in is at one end of the bar and very efficient. We were a little early but all was ready for us. A nice touch was we were shown to the rooms and the facilities explained to us. On the way back down we accidently stopped at the bar for the next couple of hours. And what a bar it is. A huge range of American beers. Comfy corners or bar saddles. So many free snacks including popcorn, monkey nuts and tortilla chips that you could save the price of a meal in the restaurant! If you hate country music this may not be the place for you as it's piped non stop in the bar and restaurant. But saying that I heard just about every variation on a theme in the time we spent there. Blues to Bluegrass.
So tacky cowboy rooms. Not really. It just all works. Sure the fittings and fixtures are western overload but it just looks right, even a little understated compared to some lodges I've stayed at. So in the room, which I would say is larger than average, you have a full size desk, a wardrobe, double bed, a chair or two, flat screen TV and capsule drinks machine. A nice up to date shower and toilet unit, again above average size. And as a bonus the shower had a pump, so good firm pressure. No aircon but two huge sash windows that opened fully. We looked out onto the supermarket car park but after it closed no noise at all. Minor moan, curtains are a bit thin. Blackouts would be better. Standard size double bed but not uncomfortable and a feather duvet as a cover. Extra pillows in the wardrobe. Loads of towels and really good quality.
The most impressive thing about the room was it was spotlessly clean, it just looked so clean that I did something I've never done before, the dust search test. Tops of mirrors, door frames etc. Nothing. This is the cleanest hotel I've have ever stayed at. Perhaps I was just lucky but I don't think so.
So after booking what could have been a theme night disaster we found a bit of a gem. I'm ready to go back there already.

Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank Blackrat751
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed one night as we were in town for a wedding. Great hotel and fantastic service. The wedding was at an upscale hotel nearby and boy were we glad we stayed here. Would highly recommend this place if you can see past the cowboy theme!!

Date of stay: July 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julia G
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

We just had a lovely night at Smith and west. The rooms are perfect, its one of the few hotels where everything is well designed and just works. The decor is nice, within the boundaries of a wild west theme. The shower works, which is seldom the case in many hotels. The rooms are very well laid out and the beds are comfy. To top it off the service was outstanding.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is really fantastic value for a short stay. Lovely staff, great breakfast and a really good double bedded room.
The bedroom has a generous sized bathroom with a power shower and a bonus for me - a mini tassimo for an Americano, in the morning.
Everything spotless at the Smith and Western and if you are around in the evening 'mosey on down' to the diner for some Tex-mex !
If I go back to TW, it will be at the Smith and Western.

Room tip: I think, all the rooms are laid out the same.
Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The attention to detail to make the Western theme interesting and funny was great. The food was delicious and the helpings were generous. The bedrooms were very clean and neat and again had the western theme. We were made to feel very welcome by all the staff.

• Trip type: Travelled on business