“Best Restaurant in The Pantiles and Underrated on Trip Advisor”
Review of La Casa Vecchia

La Casa Vecchia
Price range: US$11 - US$32
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: La Casa Vecchia, based on the historic Pantiles in Tunbridge Wells is the perfect place for an evening meal or bite to eat at lunchtime. La Casa Vecchia specialises in Mediterranean cuisine and boasts an excellent wine list, with wines from around the World. La Casa Vecchia offers the perfect venue for an evening out, with a relaxed feel the restaurant offers a wide range of Mediterranean cuisine and a friendly service.
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Hands down the best restaurant in The Pantiles, unless you don't care for Mediterranean food. The menu is varied with starters, pasta, pizza, and mains. The cooking is excellent, the presentation good, the wine list decent, both the Portuguese red and white very appealing, and the staff outstanding. Particular compliments and special thanks to Lydia, from Spain, and Artur, from Portugal. My wife and I dined at the restaurant on multiple occasions...(No, we have no ownership nor any other involvement. Just a couple of civilians.)...and these two were especially welcoming and warm.

Some food highlights: the mussels starter is generous and nicely spiced; the gnocchi with a mild gorgonzola sauce very deftly done. Gnocchi can be difficult. This one has confidently balanced flavors and a lovely texture. Pizza -- well here I have to interrupt myself with a biographical note. I came of age in and in the environs of New York City. I learned something about a good pie in my formative years. (Pizza in New York was generally better then than it is now, but that's another story for another time.) La Casa Vecchia makes a really good pie, especially the Pizza Grey Lady, named after the music venue upstairs. The crust is thin, which it has to be, neither the tomato sauce nor cheese overwhelming, which they can't be, the other ingredients fresh and well composed. Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about.

Among the mains, the duck breast is superb and, again, generously portioned.

One thing I've noticed about Trip Advisor and me. I'm more confident about the B&B, hotel, and self-catering apartment reviews than I am with the restaurant reviews. La Casa Vecchia has received mostly good reviews, but it's rating on the numerical listing is much lower than it should be. Seriously, not to pick on anyone, but how can The Ragged Trousers, which is a pub in The Pantiles and only serves food during the day, be ranked higher as a restaurant than La Casa Vecchia?

At any rate, I live approximately 9000 miles from Kent, but if I'm there again I'm certainly going back to this place. And if you're in the neighborhood and happen to be jonesin' for a good pie, get over there. You won't be sorry.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

During the summer, restaurants on the Pantiles open up their doors on a Thursday night, set tables out, and allow you to eat outdoors.. From 7.30 guest jazz singers entertain you, and if the weather is kind, it's almost like being in a cosmopolitan European capital. Couple this with fantastic food and you're guaranteed a great night.

Food at La Casa Vecchia is so tasty - be prepared to wait a little, but it's so fresh that it's worth the wait! We had a Cataplana, which took over an hour to cook, but the mixture of fresh monkfish, prawns, mussels, salmon, clams in a rich base stock was amazing!

1  Thank Crumbles_11
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We visited as a family for dinner last night. The service was fine, the waiters were attentive and quick. We had a meat and a fish paella, both of which were enjoyed! The downfall was ordering desserts! I would thoroughly recommend the restaurant and the mains but please don't waste your money on dessert! They are well below average in taste and quality!

1  Thank LaurenS750
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We've been twice now in the afternoons. The service has been excellent and the seven different dishes we've tried have all been consistently good to very good. The prices seem fair, about £2 more than nicer 'pub grub' and I've certainly paid the same for a lot worse!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

A great mid-week dinner out as a couple!

We used our taste card, which allows 2 for 1 on all courses. Sometimes when we tell staff we have a 'taste card' (at many chains such a pizza express) the standards and service slips -but not at this restaurant!

The staff couldn't do enough for us and were very accomodating. Time was spent clarifying the menu and talking through specials. There were enough courtesy checks but it was not too invasive.

The platter to start was delicious, especially the hummous!

Steak and chorizo skewer for the main was a feast for the eyes and we were pleased we ordered it!