“Very disappointing”
Review of La Casa Vecchia

La Casa Vecchia
Price range: US$11 - US$32
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: La Casa Vecchia, based on the historic Pantiles in Tunbridge Wells is the perfect place for an evening meal or bite to eat at lunchtime. La Casa Vecchia specialises in Mediterranean cuisine and boasts an excellent wine list, with wines from around the World. La Casa Vecchia offers the perfect venue for an evening out, with a relaxed feel the restaurant offers a wide range of Mediterranean cuisine and a friendly service.
Reviewed 17 July 2014

After reading the reviews I had high expectations before eating here. Unfortunately we did not have a good experience. When we arrived we waited quite a while until are drinks order was taken. And then again it took a little while until they took our food order. The pitta and hummus starters came out quickly, but our mains took over an hour to come out! Admittedly one of our party had to leave while we were waiting to take a fractious dog home (but he was prepared to eat his cold). There was no communication from the staff as to why there was such a delay. I think they had forgotten us, as tables that arrived after we ordered got served long before us. When the food did arrive, the chips and spinach for the steaks arrived, but the steaks did not! By the time they came out the spinach and the chips were cold. The meatballs and pasta were also cold. My sea bass arrived pretty much after most of my friends were half finished, and although I ordered exactly the same dish as my friend, our plates of food were completely different! What I should have had was mashed potato and roasted tomatoes with sea bass. What I got was sauted potatoes, 1 roasted tomato and two raw tomatoes with sea bass. I did not raise this with them, as I had been waiting for what seemed like hours, and was so hungry I would have eaten anything! But I wish I had said something, as it was very greasy and salty. We did however complain about the other things - the meatballs did get replaced (no apology from the waiter though) and we got a bowl of hot chips on the house to make up for the cold ones (which we requested - they were not offered). On a positive note, the waitress was lovely and is the reason I rated poor and not terrible. She was the only member of staff to apologise and brought us a free bottle of wine. The waiter was very sullen, and did not make any attempt to apologise at all! A real shame as we are all locals that eat out a lot.

There are newer reviews for La Casa Vecchia

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We come here often for family dinners and this time sat outside on a Saturday evening. The food is always delicious, great portions (large!) and very friendly staff who make you feel very welcome. The fresh homous is delicious and even my 16month old tucked into the seafood paella.
Great view of the Tunbridge Wells Pantiles on a Saturday night and with live music at the bar upstairs it always feels like we've had a great night at la Casa Vecchia.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Hands down the best restaurant in The Pantiles, unless you don't care for Mediterranean food. The menu is varied with starters, pasta, pizza, and mains. The cooking is excellent, the presentation good, the wine list decent, both the Portuguese red and white very appealing, and the staff outstanding. Particular compliments and special thanks to Lydia, from Spain, and Artur, from Portugal. My wife and I dined at the restaurant on multiple occasions...(No, we have no ownership nor any other involvement. Just a couple of civilians.)...and these two were especially welcoming and warm.

Some food highlights: the mussels starter is generous and nicely spiced; the gnocchi with a mild gorgonzola sauce very deftly done. Gnocchi can be difficult. This one has confidently balanced flavors and a lovely texture. Pizza -- well here I have to interrupt myself with a biographical note. I came of age in and in the environs of New York City. I learned something about a good pie in my formative years. (Pizza in New York was generally better then than it is now, but that's another story for another time.) La Casa Vecchia makes a really good pie, especially the Pizza Grey Lady, named after the music venue upstairs. The crust is thin, which it has to be, neither the tomato sauce nor cheese overwhelming, which they can't be, the other ingredients fresh and well composed. Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about.

Among the mains, the duck breast is superb and, again, generously portioned.

One thing I've noticed about Trip Advisor and me. I'm more confident about the B&B, hotel, and self-catering apartment reviews than I am with the restaurant reviews. La Casa Vecchia has received mostly good reviews, but it's rating on the numerical listing is much lower than it should be. Seriously, not to pick on anyone, but how can The Ragged Trousers, which is a pub in The Pantiles and only serves food during the day, be ranked higher as a restaurant than La Casa Vecchia?

At any rate, I live approximately 9000 miles from Kent, but if I'm there again I'm certainly going back to this place. And if you're in the neighborhood and happen to be jonesin' for a good pie, get over there. You won't be sorry.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

During the summer, restaurants on the Pantiles open up their doors on a Thursday night, set tables out, and allow you to eat outdoors.. From 7.30 guest jazz singers entertain you, and if the weather is kind, it's almost like being in a cosmopolitan European capital. Couple this with fantastic food and you're guaranteed a great night.

Food at La Casa Vecchia is so tasty - be prepared to wait a little, but it's so fresh that it's worth the wait! We had a Cataplana, which took over an hour to cook, but the mixture of fresh monkfish, prawns, mussels, salmon, clams in a rich base stock was amazing!

1  Thank Crumbles_11
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We visited as a family for dinner last night. The service was fine, the waiters were attentive and quick. We had a meat and a fish paella, both of which were enjoyed! The downfall was ordering desserts! I would thoroughly recommend the restaurant and the mains but please don't waste your money on dessert! They are well below average in taste and quality!

1  Thank LaurenS750