“Disappointment at the Spa” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Spa Hotel

The Spa Hotel
Bexleyheath
“Disappointment at the Spa”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

This hotel is very overpriced and very average, we were at a wedding at high rocks and decided to stay here because the wedding party were. The room had a four poster woooo which was made from old panels very small and noisy when you moved, the room was stuffy and musty we had to open the windows and go out to let it air. We had lunch in the refurbished bar which to be fair was not too bad apart from the bar manager who constantly rucked his staff at every opportunity and for no real reason. I did not realise that for my £200 it was room only and they then charged £30 extra for the worst breakfast I have ever had in a hotel and on a Sunday 8/10am for breakfast is rediculas, cold toast, wet bacon, no eggs and staff that could not be bothered at all and all served in a massive room with zero caracter, trust me on this stay in the hotel du vin and by pass this at all costs. Thank god the wedding was good,

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Chrisb1974
Spa2000, General Manager at The Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We normally receive positive comments regarding our breakfasts, however we would always encourage any guests to raise their concerns with the Duty Manager so that any problems can be swiftly rectified at the time. We are also sorry that you did not like our 4 Poster Room. Since acquiring the hotel in 2007 we have invested several million pounds in an extensive refurbishment programme, which is on-going.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

We use the venue a lot for work, quiet hotel, polite, clean hotel with nice grounds. Always a happy returning customer. Prices at the bar are pricy. Conference room is big. Help on tap as much as you need.

• Stayed September 2013
hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Booked one twin and one double for me and my sisters. The trip was to deliver a memorial to our mother who lived in the area so the Spa, being one of the oldest and most established hotels was of course our choice.

Old iconic hotel, beautiful old building and nicely decorated. Very comfortable and well equipped rooms, although very warm. Nice spa area with pool which was good but small.

Rather worryingly I booked in for the two rooms and took the keys with me while out visiting an old friend. I gave no names as to who the rooms were for (other than me). Being unable to get hold of me, my sister who arrived while I was out simply said she was staying with me and they gave her a key - no questions asked. I was not particularly comfortable with this.

Service was lacking and generally slow Our coffee order was forgotten. Our side of chips for lunch arrived as we were finishing our meal. Breakfast was nice with a good selection but disappointing service - we had to stack up used plates because we were running out of room, only one very small pot of milk for two taking coffee, and not one smile to be seen!

I am glad we stayed there as it was very comfortable, an old established part of Tunbridge Wells, and with three sisters nattering it didn't really matter if things were forgotten as we were there for other reasons, but I would have been very disappointed if I had chosen the hotel because of its standing and on a tourist basis.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Jaffrey, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

Before I list all of the positive aspects of staying at the Spa Hotel, I must caution that, for
travelers who appreciate calm and quiet, weekend stays at the Spa Hotel must be avoided.
The Hotel is a major venue for weddings, and with that come the noise and occasional
alcohol-fueled misbehavior of wedding guests. For long stays, check in on a Sunday evening,
and depart on a Friday morning...and your visit will be restful. Food at the Hotel is impeccably
fresh; one can dine healthfully and elegantly. The staff is uniformly helpful and professional.
During weekday nights, one can sleep--with windows open--and not hear a sound.
The new-ish owners of the Hotel are gradually redecorating, and the spaces within the complex
that have been freshened provide a nice mix of contemporary and traditional design.
I didn't avail myself of the Spa's SPA...their health center...and so cannot comment on that aspect of the Hotel's offerings. Finally, extensive and lovely private parklands lie behind the Hotel.

Room Tip: Book a newly-redecorated Contemporary Room
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

I have stayed in cheaper hotels in tunbridge wells, but It is worth paying a little bit more to stay here. We stayed for a wedding and were pleased with the whole experience. The room was a good size,with a very large bathroom. Comfortable bed with good fixtures and fittings, which all helped to provide us with a great nights sleep. The grounds and location are both brilliant, with the town easily accessible.
My only recommendation would be to extend the serving hours for breakfast as some of our group woke up after 10 and had missed all of the food. We would stay again.

Rochester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

Went to The Spa Hotel at Royal Tun Wells, it was as good as when I went last time, good parking, very close to the town walking distance, to the Pantiles, which everyone should go to see, and take the waters (taste etc) supposed to be very good for you. Hotel has lovely gardens, very roomy reception, plenty of space to have afternoon tea etc and meet people.
First class restaurant, beautiful dinning room very placitual, food and service very good, right for a 4 star Hotel, but not over expensive.
If you want to stay in Tunbridge Wells then this is the place to go. Paul and Joan Bennett

Room Tip: Get a room at the back if possible
East Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

My husband and i had our wedding reception at the spa so for our 20th anniversary i took us back for the night.

On arrival there was a small queue in reception the family in front of us were being booked in. The lovely lady at reception was chatting to them asking if they had stayed before, telling about all the facilities breakfast spa etc.
Our turn. Our receptionist asked our name we signed in then she pointed to the right and told us our room was round there and up the stairs!!!!
Not quite the warm welcome i was expecting! Maybe sadly i would have liked to have been asked if i had stayed before then i could have told her yes 20 years ago and that this was our anniversary which i was kinda excited about.

Our room 111 was fantastic beautifully decorated no complaints we loved it.

On return in the evening from diner in the Wells we thought we would go to the bar.
It was very quiet with only a couple of people in so we sat ourselves up at the bar and looked at the cocktail menu.
Two very young lads were serving and we chatted to them. It was a disappointment to find that they didn't know how to make our cocktails without the instruction cards!!!
At £11 each in such a hotel this was in our opinion pretty poor!! Although they were great cocktails

We slept wonderfully and went to breakfast

The dining room is lovely as were the staff. Breakfast was good although felt a little "hovered" over by the waiting staff who tried to take my plate away while my husband was still eating.

All in its still a fantastic beautiful hotel with fabulous grounds which to us brought back our wedding photo memories

I did fill in the feedback form that was in our room and hand it in when we left but alas no response. I would recommend coming here but don't expect a warm welcome.

2 Thank RuthEastSussex
The Royal Wells Hotel
The Royal Wells Hotel
#6 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells
Mercure Tunbridge Wells

Been to The Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!