“Its neither a Hotel or a Spa”
Review of The Spa Hotel

The Spa Hotel
London UK
“Its neither a Hotel or a Spa”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

ho·tel
"place for overnight stay: a building or commercial establishment where people pay for lodging, and where meals and other facilities such as conference rooms are often available"

spa
"resort with bathing and mineral water: a resort with mineral springs"

I Checked in with an open mind as always having read the negative hotel reviews. Having been asked for my credit card for 'Pre-Authorisation' I was immediately charged the full amount of the room. Having been given the key, I was directed to the room via the lift to the 3rd floor only to find that our designated room was on a seperate part of the hotel up a flight of stairs ( which isn't easy with 2 young children/luggage and a buggy).

Quality of the room resembled a simple B&B which made the Grosvenor hotel in Torquay look simply luxurious ( Sorry Mark !), with dated fixtures and fittings. Unfortunatley the Spa failed to impress which resembled a local authority swiming pool from the 80's,dated and dirty and in need of refurishment.

On a positive note the hotel's wifi is free and available throughout

Room Tip: Try the Travel Lodge next door or maybe the Hotel Du Vin for a touch of class
3 Thank mapmuppet
Spa2000, General Manager at The Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry you found the stairs difficult – we do have a lift but this does not service every single room due to the age of the building. Since acquiring the hotel in 2007 we have invested several million pounds in an extensive refurbishment programme, which is on-going. A scheme to improve and enlarge the spa area is being worked on, but this will ultimately depend on planning.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bexleyheath
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This hotel is very overpriced and very average, we were at a wedding at high rocks and decided to stay here because the wedding party were. The room had a four poster woooo which was made from old panels very small and noisy when you moved, the room was stuffy and musty we had to open the windows and go out to let it air. We had lunch in the refurbished bar which to be fair was not too bad apart from the bar manager who constantly rucked his staff at every opportunity and for no real reason. I did not realise that for my £200 it was room only and they then charged £30 extra for the worst breakfast I have ever had in a hotel and on a Sunday 8/10am for breakfast is rediculas, cold toast, wet bacon, no eggs and staff that could not be bothered at all and all served in a massive room with zero caracter, trust me on this stay in the hotel du vin and by pass this at all costs. Thank god the wedding was good,

3 Thank Chrisb1974
Thank you for your feedback. We normally receive positive comments regarding our breakfasts, however we would always encourage any guests to raise their concerns with the Duty Manager so that any problems can be swiftly rectified at the time. We are also sorry that you did not like our 4 Poster Room. Since acquiring the hotel in 2007 we have invested several million pounds in an extensive refurbishment programme, which is on-going.
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We use the venue a lot for work, quiet hotel, polite, clean hotel with nice grounds. Always a happy returning customer. Prices at the bar are pricy. Conference room is big. Help on tap as much as you need.

• Stayed September 2013
hampshire
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Booked one twin and one double for me and my sisters. The trip was to deliver a memorial to our mother who lived in the area so the Spa, being one of the oldest and most established hotels was of course our choice.

Old iconic hotel, beautiful old building and nicely decorated. Very comfortable and well equipped rooms, although very warm. Nice spa area with pool which was good but small.

Rather worryingly I booked in for the two rooms and took the keys with me while out visiting an old friend. I gave no names as to who the rooms were for (other than me). Being unable to get hold of me, my sister who arrived while I was out simply said she was staying with me and they gave her a key - no questions asked. I was not particularly comfortable with this.

Service was lacking and generally slow Our coffee order was forgotten. Our side of chips for lunch arrived as we were finishing our meal. Breakfast was nice with a good selection but disappointing service - we had to stack up used plates because we were running out of room, only one very small pot of milk for two taking coffee, and not one smile to be seen!

I am glad we stayed there as it was very comfortable, an old established part of Tunbridge Wells, and with three sisters nattering it didn't really matter if things were forgotten as we were there for other reasons, but I would have been very disappointed if I had chosen the hotel because of its standing and on a tourist basis.

Jaffrey, New Hampshire
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Before I list all of the positive aspects of staying at the Spa Hotel, I must caution that, for
travelers who appreciate calm and quiet, weekend stays at the Spa Hotel must be avoided.
The Hotel is a major venue for weddings, and with that come the noise and occasional
alcohol-fueled misbehavior of wedding guests. For long stays, check in on a Sunday evening,
and depart on a Friday morning...and your visit will be restful. Food at the Hotel is impeccably
fresh; one can dine healthfully and elegantly. The staff is uniformly helpful and professional.
During weekday nights, one can sleep--with windows open--and not hear a sound.
The new-ish owners of the Hotel are gradually redecorating, and the spaces within the complex
that have been freshened provide a nice mix of contemporary and traditional design.
I didn't avail myself of the Spa's SPA...their health center...and so cannot comment on that aspect of the Hotel's offerings. Finally, extensive and lovely private parklands lie behind the Hotel.

Room Tip: Book a newly-redecorated Contemporary Room
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I have stayed in cheaper hotels in tunbridge wells, but It is worth paying a little bit more to stay here. We stayed for a wedding and were pleased with the whole experience. The room was a good size,with a very large bathroom. Comfortable bed with good fixtures and fittings, which all helped to provide us with a great nights sleep. The grounds and location are both brilliant, with the town easily accessible.
My only recommendation would be to extend the serving hours for breakfast as some of our group woke up after 10 and had missed all of the food. We would stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Went to The Spa Hotel at Royal Tun Wells, it was as good as when I went last time, good parking, very close to the town walking distance, to the Pantiles, which everyone should go to see, and take the waters (taste etc) supposed to be very good for you. Hotel has lovely gardens, very roomy reception, plenty of space to have afternoon tea etc and meet people.
First class restaurant, beautiful dinning room very placitual, food and service very good, right for a 4 star Hotel, but not over expensive.
If you want to stay in Tunbridge Wells then this is the place to go. Paul and Joan Bennett

Room Tip: Get a room at the back if possible
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa
The Tunbridge Wells Hotel
The Tunbridge Wells Hotel
#7 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells

Been to The Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!