“Pleasant enough, but honestly... I prefer Premier Inn & a Beefeater anyday!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Spa Hotel

The Spa Hotel
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Pleasant enough, but honestly... I prefer Premier Inn & a Beefeater anyday!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

As I was travelling alone on business and unable to find a Premier Inn locally, this was in the right place at the right time. Looked very nice on the web site etc.... so booked it. Then I reviewed the hotels very elaborate menu and found it to be really expensive (e.g 8oz steak £36!), with little choice of "normal" day to day food which is what I want to eat at the end of a working day, not high end "posh" food.... I also noted that the breakfast was priced at £13.95 per person. I decided to pick up a nice salad from M & S and chose not to have breakfast at that price...I would go elsewhere. On arrival, everything went smoothly, checked in and located my room. This was clean and well presented. I eventually found the kettle and refreshments in a small hidden cupboard...what a relief...a cup of tea! - this is not labelled and it is not obvious what is contained. I did not leave my room, but found the staff friendly enough on check in and departure. Overall, pleasant enough, but honestly... I prefer Premier inn & a Beefeater anyday!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Linda H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tunbridge wells
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed at the Spa hotel on my wedding night and had a great time - the room was beautiful and the breakfast very generous. In particular, the reservations team was very helpful indeed in stepping in and helping our party ensure that we all had somewhere to stay after a rival hotel let us down (the wedding itself was not at the hotel). Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my boyfriend on valentines day 2014, the hotel itself is beautiful! The staff were unhelpful and grumpy, clearly find it too hard to even raise a smile, room smelt of damp and wasn't that clean! the beds weren't that comfy at all and the service was very poor! Took nearly half an hour just to get a drink! I think I will avoid next time and just get a travelodge.....

• Stayed February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Georgieee123
Spa2000, General Manager at The Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We had a very successful valentines night and your comments do not reflect the feedback that we received from other guests. We are always very concerned when guests do not enjoy their stay, however it is a little difficult to investigate this some 4 months later. We always ask guests to raise any issues that they may have during their stay with management so that we may swiftly rectify any problems there and then.
Birmingham, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

After a disappointing day traveling and being stuck in traffic for hours I go to Tonbridge and went to the Premier Inn which was fully booked. Now even more frustrated I looked at the list of the nearest hotel and within 5-miles was 'The Spa' - slightly more cost than the Premier Inn unsure about booking but in the mood I was in I couldn't be bothered - I just needed a room to settle down in.

OMG - From the moment stepping into the hotel and the lovely lady in reception all the way through to the next day I felt so relieved in booking this hotel. The staff are so courteous and caring, prices are reasonable the room was fantastic and little touches such as complimentary bottled water, trouser press, Iron, fantastic internet connect not just within the hotel but also within the grounds. I didn't use the complimentary gym and sauna facility but I can imagine its great !

With the weather touch 20deg I sat outside and had my dinner overlooking acres of land and forest - superb !! The staff were also tremendous and couldn't fault this hotel at all. This hotel and the staff are brilliant and I recommend this to anyone wanting to get away from the stresses and strains for modern day life........beautiful surroundings, food and great staff. Well done guys and rest assured I will be returning but instead of a business trip my wife and I look forward to spending a week with you.

Keep up the good ! I do travel a lot for business but certainly one of the best nights I've had at any hotel !! Sad to leave !

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank zafiqbal
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

This review is based on the use of the Restaurant only as we did not book accommodation. Fantastic afternoon tea with my mum. Pricey but service great and all those tiny cakes and finger sandwiches were extremely satisfying. Simply fab.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Younkee
Blandford Forum, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We enjoyed our weekend break, when we visited the swimming pool and had dinner in the restaurant, as well as drinks and lunch in the bar.
Our room was lovely, and staff were all friendly and helpful.
Restaurant was expensive, but high quality food and service in luxurious surroundings.
Pool was disappointing - the swimming pool itself is very small, and we didn't use the sauna as it was separated for male and female. When you are away for a romantic weekend, couples would surely choose to visit the sauna together?!

Room Tip: Our room faced the front, and was very large, with bay window overlooking the front. We were very pl...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jenny H
Suffolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Excellent part buffet style breakfast with freshly cooked English plate. Good sandwich lunch served in the comfortable lounge. Enjoyable supper in the recently refurbished Bar. The staff are well trained in a formal style despite what the odd reviewer might say and I have particularly enjoy this aspect of my regular visits. The rooms are are pretty good size and everything works, is clean and well suited to guests who like more traditional style hotels. Air-con in all rooms to my knowledge. There is a very good gym with sauna and steam room. The pool is more a relaxing pool, not one for triathlon training! Tennis court too. Sky sports on the TV, free internet, easy access without getting embroiled in the main part of the town but not too far to walk in across the common for the fitter amongst you. I think it would be a struggle to find much to complain about and if there is I would have every confidence that it would be swiftly put right if addressed to the duty manager in a reasonable manner.

Room Tip: There is some road noise to the front facing rooms but not a real problem. It is a popular wedding h...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Mercure Tunbridge Wells
The Tunbridge Wells Hotel
The Tunbridge Wells Hotel
#7 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells

Been to The Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!