“Lovely Hotel”
Review of The Spa Hotel

The Spa Hotel
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed here overnight on business. It's a beautiful hotel with real old world charm. The room was beautifully laid out and made the most of the small space. The bathroom was spotless, air con was effective and the bed was really comfy. Staff throughout the hotel were very pleasant and said hello as you passed them. My meal in the bar that night was tasty and washed down with some excellent pints of Peroni on draft. Breakfast was disappointing. Runny eggs and sausages that had seen a little too much of the grill. I didn't eat much of it. Overall though it was a very pleasant stay in a beautiful part of england and I would return in a heartbeat.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Wonderful quaint little hotel. The rooms are small, clean and very comfortable. The staff were helpful and professional. The bar serves a cappuccino that rivals anything you will be served in Italy. And the prices are more then reasonable. I'd go back.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I'll keep this snappy-ish, as I could go on and on
Check in: They can't find my booking, so I give the young lady the reservation number. She informs me I was booked for the previous day. So I show her the booking request / confirmation, which clearly showed I was correct. She apologises and informs me she can sort a room out for me, and proceeds to check me in, after a lot of faffing about. Then she informed my I need to sort out the wrong booking, as my company may well be charged! Not happy, but at least I'm not trying to find a room in another hotel.
The room part 1: I open the door and all appears to be in order. I need the toilet so go to switch the light on and nothing! I try the other room lights and nothing. I try the TV as I can't be bothered to go back down to reception. I works, so I can get by.
The bar: I change and go down for a bar meal. I order a pint and charge it to my room. The young guy behind the bar comes over and informs me I can't charge anything to my room as I haven't a credit facility. So, I explain to him the booking error and tell him I'll get my card once I've finished my meal. No he has to have it before hand. Why didn't the receptionist take a swipe when I checked in (I thought nothing of it as my bill and extras are all charged back to the company account). Ok, I go to my room, get my card and return to the bar. He tells me he'll come across to my table and get it. After about 10 minutes of farting about serving others at the bar, he finally appears. He takes my order and I offer my card, he then proceeds to tell me he'll get it later.
I order my food, which was up to the usual high standard.
The room part 2: No lights, but I've got TV. I decided to brush my teeth before bed. Turn on the sink tap in the darkening bathroom, and it's the hot tap. Ok, it's the other tap. Ah, that's the tap that doesn't work. A trickle of water that would take about 5 minutes to fill a cup. OK, lets grab the bottled water to rinse my mouth out. The bath taps work, so there's a slim chance of a shower in the morning.

I've yet to check out, so fingers crossed.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
5  Thank motobrox
Spa2000, General Manager at The Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately without a date and room number, or guest name, it is very difficult to investigate such comments. However we would once again reiterate the importance of raising any issues with the Duty Manager. If we are not made aware of issues, we cannot address them. We are sorry that your card was not pre-authorised on arrival, however our Barman was following our procedures. Further training has been arranged in how to deal with such situations.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The Spa Hotel has increased the price for 3 course Sunday Lunch and coffee to £34.
On the last two visits the restaurant was almost empty. Although the food is good they
have increased the price too much and customers are going elsewhere.
Sorry to say probably our last visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank brianhorton
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband had booked and paid for a spa day at Spa Escapes T wells for myself and two friends, when we arrived it was closed - and it seems never to open again.

In desperation of trying to salvage what was looking to be a disappointing and wasted day, I rang the Spa Hotel in an attempt get a booking, which at such short notice, I wasn't overly optimistic. However, my lack of optimism was unnecessary. We actually managed to get the same type of package from the Spa Hotel at half the cost and we had lunch and tea included in the price too.

The staff at the spa hotel are extremely helpful, pleasant and polite. My friends and I made use of the sauna, steam room, relaxation room and pool prior to our treatment (back massage) The facility also has a gym which we did not use. But I have to say that we all had a great day at the Spa Hotel and I will definitely go back and use their spa facilities again. It was very pleasant relaxing visit. They are also very trusting, payment was not requested at all during our visit, in fact I went to them and paid the bill at the end of our session. cant fault them.
I would definitely recommend this place

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 June 2014

As I was travelling alone on business and unable to find a Premier Inn locally, this was in the right place at the right time. Looked very nice on the web site etc.... so booked it. Then I reviewed the hotels very elaborate menu and found it to be really expensive (e.g 8oz steak £36!), with little choice of "normal" day to day food which is what I want to eat at the end of a working day, not high end "posh" food.... I also noted that the breakfast was priced at £13.95 per person. I decided to pick up a nice salad from M & S and chose not to have breakfast at that price...I would go elsewhere. On arrival, everything went smoothly, checked in and located my room. This was clean and well presented. I eventually found the kettle and refreshments in a small hidden cupboard...what a relief...a cup of tea! - this is not labelled and it is not obvious what is contained. I did not leave my room, but found the staff friendly enough on check in and departure. Overall, pleasant enough, but honestly... I prefer Premier inn & a Beefeater anyday!

1  Thank Linda H
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed at the Spa hotel on my wedding night and had a great time - the room was beautiful and the breakfast very generous. In particular, the reservations team was very helpful indeed in stepping in and helping our party ensure that we all had somewhere to stay after a rival hotel let us down (the wedding itself was not at the hotel). Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple