“A very good choice, with an excellent restaurant”
Review of The Spa Hotel

The Spa Hotel
Reviewed 26 August 2014

The staff at this delightful hotel did everything to make our stay comfortable and memorable. The receptionists, Rahsina and Sonia greeted us warmly and processed our booking as we would have wished. Heeding the warning of an earlier reviewer we requested a room far removed from discos and wedding celebrations, and our request was met. Room 101 on the first floor was as far removed as one would have wished, and we were undisturbed. I shan't dwell on the attractions of the grounds, or leisure facilities, but must commend the restaurant which deserves recognition. On DB & B tariff, we were alllowed £35 towards the a la carte menu which we chose. the salad of spring vegetables and the betroot cured salmon were starters of the highest calibre, the Brill and Cod prepared by a chef who knows how to treat fish, and the deserts worthy of a Michelin star. Experienced serving staff, courtesy but not stiffness. Yes it is a bit old fashioned, but your reviewer who compares this hotel with an old aged home is a fish out of water, and must not have been there on the nights when the young were present en masse for wedding celebrations.

Room Tip: Ask for room 101
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dubliner21
There are newer reviews for The Spa Hotel

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I recently arranged a spa day with my friends, it included a massage and afternoon tea. The afternoon tea was very good, could have done with more sandwiches but very nice. The cakes were beautiful and there was plenty of tea and coffee. The staff were very attentive. We all had a facial too and I do think that I had a wonderful massage and facial, really felt indulged and spoilt. However, the swimming pool and steam room really let this place down. I understand that they have recently invested money and there are projects that they plan to do however, had I have known just how poor the swimming pool area is, I wouldn’t have gone and encouraged my friends to spend our hard earned money there. The swimming pool area is cold, tired looking and it is a walk away from the steam room. Now, I don’t know about anyone else but I don’t want to walk through a reception area in my fluffly robe to the steam room. The specialness just doesn’t feel special. Then when you get out of the steam room, you trudge back to the pool. Also there is a problem with the Jacuzzi. There isn’t one! There is a jet of water in the pool that you can bob into and feel some bubbles against your body….Ohhhhh cold water. Lovely. Not. Had I have known what a let down this area was then we wouldn’t have gone. I won’t be going back which is a shame as the treatments I found to be of a very high standard. This is how cold it is in the pool area, whilst two of us were having our treatments, our three other friends went and got changed so they weren’t shivering in/by the pool…

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lucie U
Spa2000, General Manager at The Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased that you enjoyed your tea and spa treatments, but are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the pool area and general layout. I am not aware of any other adverse feedback regarding the pool or pool area temperature, however this is now being closely monitored. We appreciate that the spa layout is perhaps not as we would have designed it ourselves, however as I believe you may have been made aware, plans are being formulated to improve this area but of course these things do take time. We do not have a Jacuzzi, and we do not advertise that we have a Jacuzzi, but again this is something we hope to rectify in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I would really like to give this hotel a 3.5 rating but as i dont feel its worth a 4 i have given it a 3.

My first impressions were it was 'odd' some bits of the hotel are very old fashioned which is fine but in need of a bit of TLC and them some parts are very modern and I couldnt really understand what the hotel was trying to achieve in terms of its identity.

Staff on reception were friendly and helpful.

Our room was very big including bathroom and gave us lots of space to move around the room.

The swimming pool area was also good for my daughter to play in.

The grounds were very nice to have a wander around.

The bar area felt very comfortable and again staff were friendly but seemed to lack any atmosphere.

Breakfast was reasonable enough.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Visited with 4 friends for afternoon tea & would recommend it! We chose to have it in the Orangery which was lovely & bright & comfortable. The sandwiches were fresh & very tasty with a good selection, the scones were warm & very light & the selection of little cakes were delicious & just the right size. A good selection of teas to choose to drink & plenty of it. The waitresses were very good, & remembered each time who had which tea & were very polite & friendly.

Would certainly return here for tea again & the restaurants looked very good too.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gillyfun
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I have just had an amazing Guinot hydrothermie facial which has left me feeling ultra relaxed. My skin feels smooth, hydrated and rejuvenated. A rare feeling for me! I was given the facial by a superb therapist, Kat; she was polite, friendly and extremely skilled when administering the products and using the specialist equipment. I would definitely recommend this treatment.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2014

It's like staying in a Old peoples home! Decor is very dated and haggard.
No welcome as you checked in! the card machine didn't work & the staff thought that was hilarious - apparently it's been faulty for months. Breakfast £14, quality of breakfast worth £2, walk down the road and get full for £4. Won't be staying again, already chosen a better hotel for next time.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ScottM2109
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Olde Worlde antique charm ... but with contemporary chic spliced in, giving a really unique feel and trans-generational appeal. I'm there now, and feel as if I really got lucky, as I'm going to an event today, and tried without success to find a B&B nearer to the venue. However, I got a last-minute room at The Spa. I think it is fantastic value, considering what you get ... lovely room, clean, spacious, recently re-furbished, garden view, complimentary spa attendance, enormous breakfast with huge variety of things to choose from, and excellent food in the 'Zagatos' bar and brasserie inside the hotel. The grounds have a pond with water-lilies, numerous very large, old. well-cared-for trees, and even a very civilised 'smokers hut' in the corner of the garden! And staff are fabulous. Good-humoured, helpful and efficient. I would have given this lovely place all of 10 stars, except for the NOISE!! Do be aware that this hotel is understandably a really popular venue for weddings and parties. There was a disco in the main dining room, and although my room is 3 floors above it, I could hear it quite loudly, and feel the vibration of the music on the walls and floor. Before I arrived, I had phoned in some consternation to ask about the noise, because my booking confirmation had a disclaimer about noise from weddings and guest parties. I was told that my room was in a different part of the building. I suppose 3 floors above qualifies as a 'different part of the building' - sort of!! However, I would guess that weekdays would perhaps be more peaceful at The Spa, or a cosy winter weekend, warming oneself up in the spa -:) Or maybe ask for a room on the other side of the building from the main dining area, which I guess is where the discos usually are. Otherwise, a totally, truly, fabulous place.

Room Tip: On weekends, call up and ask if there is a wedding or party booking. If there is, find out where and...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa
The Tunbridge Wells Hotel
The Tunbridge Wells Hotel
#7 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells

Been to The Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!