“Truely awful” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Russell Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Russell Hotel
uk
“Truely awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

Stayed for one night in July 2013. Hotel is badly in need of revamp with colours of mustard, orange and brown making a very 70's look. Our room had not been hoovered and the bathroom was truely shocking. The bath was dirty and looked as though someone had tipped coffee down it. The walls and bath were an oppressive green colour and the toilet seat was of the old fashioned wooden type. The sheets were clean and shampoo and shower gel were provided. The breakfast and dining room were typical of a working mans cafe and since my cutlery had not been cleaned properly I found my appetite decreasing. Could do with a visit from Alex Polizzi as it is in such a convenient position for the town but owners clearly now nothing about currrent expectations from customers.

Room Tip: Our room was at the front.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Deb A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Southwell, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

My grandson and i stayed here during a junior golf championship at nizels golf club thur and fri 20th and 21st june which was about a 20 mins drive my son booked it but could have done a lot better,the car parking is small and its a struggle to park, the access from the car park to the reception is a hike,the decor on entering is grubby and dated whole place needs a coat of paint, the reception was plesant and helpful
we went up to our room which was 70s decor beds was clean and comfy,
the bathroom was boardering on scruffy the hot water was nucular no soap one towel, the noise at night from passing drunks made sleep impossable until after midnight, and the price of £85 a night was a rip would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Royal Tunbridge Wells hotels

Redhill, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

Good place for 6 tired cyclists! We had the 2 triple rooms, one above the other at the back of the hotel, while we were given a lockable basement room for the bikes. Rooms were clean, bedding and towels fine. My mattress was nice and firm, not on it's last legs at all. Plenty of hot water in the shower, good pressure. They happily opened the bar for us after we went out for a meal.
Breakfast was good; between us we ranged from the full English to just boiled eggs and toast. All pleased with our food.
Room did get hot in the night. Probably not smart enough décor wise to take my wife for a romantic break, but it was everything I hoped for and more for us cyclists!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

Positives:
car park available but small one, Breakfast was okay but not great.
Staff were pleasant. Bar was open even at 2300 for lodgers, which was good.

Negatives:
Lot of noise from the main road. I had to keep the windows open as the radiator was boiling hot and I tried my best to lower the heat but could not. I did not bother to report to the staff as I checked in quite late and I wanted to hit the bed soon.
2. The shower was little dingy. The hot water again was so hot that I almost got scalded when I jumped in to the shower.

Overall I thought it was not worth your money. I spent £49 and you can get similar rooms for £30 with Brittania Group of Hotels.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

This place doesn't even get the basics right. Not clean, no soap in bathroom, one towel for two of us, curtains so thin the light came streaming through at dawn, really hot room for some reason, meagre breakfast in dreary room - all for the sum of £100 a night! If you just want straight forward accommodation, there's a Travelodge down the road. The one upside: we complained and got a significant discount.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BroadBean1982
Maidstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

The main reason for us choosing this hotel was because of its close proximity to the sport/tennis centre which i needed to get to early one morning for a course, so for that it was well placed. The car park is small, very small in fact but honestly i dont think they often have the number of guests to fill it. the welcome was nice and friendly and the hotel in general is quite clean. The rooms are adequate, they come equipped with what you need. Our main problem with the room is that the bathroom is very small, has a shower and a toilet, and if you try and dry yourself after a shower in the bathroom you just end up hitting the wall many a time because of the lack of space. and the sink is located in the room which is really annoying and just doesn't seem right. the decor is quite dated and it is quite old in general. i dont mind old decor in some hotels and squeaky floor boards so this doesnt bother me but some people may have a problem with it. Another issue is one for the cleaners, upon opening the wardrobe we found a large empty vodka bottle, which we have left for them to find it for themselves, but i dont think that they should have missed that. the rooms are all single glazed so it is quite noisy. Also, they have central heating on in all of the rooms for most of the day which is good in a way, but it doesnt go off until 11pm, and you cant turn the radiators down so it gets very hot, which also disturbs your sleep because it is quite an unbearable heat. the breakfast is nice, not much of a selection but the portions are nice and large to fill you up. And the price overall for the hotel is fairly reasonable. overall, it was adequate for our needs but in general i wouldnt choose to come here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Milosh96
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

This hotel is such a mixture of experiences. I needed a single for one night, the hotel was deserted, but I ended up in a room at the very top and those staircases are an effort! The attic conversion was ok, but the heating was on full blast all the time and not controllable, it was just too warm - on the staircases the outside windows were jammed wide open - in April! It was still stuffy.
I could have opened the window, but the main road outside was noisy even through the single glazing. The bathroom was simple, basic and in need of renovation. It had a shower head that wandered around like a garden sprinkler, so I at least I got some exercise walking around the cubicle trying to stay under it. Walls were a bit thin up there, presumably plasterboard and the snoring in the next room may not be an issue lower down with solid walls.
They advertise wireless connection in all rooms and have 2 networks. I could not get a link on the top floor, so the work I needed to do could not get done unless I took all my papers and references down to the bar - which was shut because there were so few guests. Apparently, said the helpful night porter, this connectivity is only a problem with tablet computers. Really?!!
Bed comfortable, room clean, adequate storage. View across the Common is ok, but you are at one end where it is narrowing rapidly so there are plenty of houses visible as the other side is nearby.
No restaurant, but there is a really excellent French bistro 5 minutes away and another plus is the main town centre is within easy walking distance and full of restaurants.
The whole place is tired, but they had the decorators in - or out as one side of the hotel was covered in scaffolding. The car park is useful but small and did contain quite a few builders vehicles overnight, so space was limited if arriving in the evening after the working day. Breakfast is plentiful and good, although the five of us in the room were entertained by a row in the kitchen involving a few choice phrases before they were shushed down by the management!
Would I stay there again? No. Too many little frustrations and things I had to sort out for the price, plus finally, as I handed my keys in, the couple behind the desk didn't even respond to my "Thank you", didn't ask if I had enjoyed my stay, didn't even say "Thank you" back but just carried on talking. That's not service.

Room Tip: Ask for the back if you are a light sleeper because of the traffic noise - it will not have the view...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo