“Delivered in every way'” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
North West
“Delivered in every way'”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

Stayed in Tunbridge to atend a hospital appt nearby - travelled from manchester. Although our main purpose of stay was to attend a hospital appt we wanted to turn it into a 'mini break' I agonised between this hotel and Spa Hotel up the road. So glad I picked this hotel! Due to a few bad reviews we didnt plan on dining in the Bistro - had a wander round Tunbridge which is filled with 'chain' restaurants. We decided to just opt for the Bistro and were not disappointed! The food was exactly what it sets its stall up to be 'Bistro' dining - though it is slightly on the pricey side! Wine was very nice. The rooms are pleasant if a tad small - but then how big does your room need to be? The rooms are quite dimly lit to fit in with the Hotel Du Vin sultry style and mirrors are not in abundance! Breakfast was simply divine! A great array of continental options with homemade flapjacks and apple loaf along with homemade preserves followed by a lovely grease free fresh breakfast - it was refreshing to have scrambled eggs in a hotel that were not rubbery and inedible! All in all we were both very pleased - having stayed in many 5 star top ranking hotels this was a refreshing change and delevered in every way!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MiniBreakMemories

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

Having been a fan of the Hotel du Vin chain for many years, their hotel in Tunbridge Wells was my first choice for a room when visiting friends in the area last weekend. After booking a room online I received a call a few days later informing me that I hadn't booked a table at the Bistro for dinner the evening of my stay. It turns out that I had inadvertently booked a special deal on the room which involved a minimum spend in the bistro on their frankly confusing online booking system. However I was assured that I could pay the higher room only rate on check-out as I wasn;t around for dinner that evening.

On arrival at the hotel I was told that they had booked me in for the Bistro that evening as I had booked the special rate online and that the system couldn't allow them to change the rate that I had chosen. The rude staff insisted that as I had picked the rate, that it what I had to stick to despite the fact that I was willing to pay the higher room only rate and that I wasn't around to use the Bistro that evening.

Despite a small discount applied to my bill, it has left me extremely disappointed and I will not stay at any Hotel du Vin again. Which is a real shame.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Josh45
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2011

We stayed on a Sunday deal - spend £75+ on a meal and the room is then £10, so this was good value - I don't know what the rooms cost usually.

The location is great - right in the centre of Tunbridge Wells. The reception area, bar and seating areas are just lovely as are the outside grounds with a variety of seating areas.

Our room - Taylor's Port - was at the end of the corridor which I was pleased about, thinking it would be quiet. However, when our neighbours returned to their room we could hear every word and every toilet flush and every shower and their TV - soundproofing definitely needs to be improved! I would recommend asking for a room with no neighbours! The temperature of the room was also extremely hot and stuffy - and it was only a warm April day.
The room itself was small but beautifully presented with a comfy large bed, superb shower, nice furniture, great views and lovely toiletries. Bathrobes were available in the room as was cafetiere coffee with cafetiere!

• Stayed April 2011
Haywards Heath
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2011

I had been a bit cautious when booking as I did not find the website layout very user friendly and when I called the hotel they offered a room rate that was more expensive than through Late Rooms. I went to this hotel with my partner and we were initially wowed by the downstairs decor. I was also impressed with the personal service of being shown to our room. Unfortunately the room we had was very small and not as glamourous as the website perhpas suggested. It did have a nice view of the gardens though. The room seemed to get very hot at night and neither of us slept well. Being so stuffy left us feeling thirsty and subjected to the high mini bar prices. (The only bottle of water was £3.75). When we were trying to get ready for dinner it did feel like we were on top of each other a bit and no space to sit and do my make up and no mirror near any natural light.
We had also booked a table for dinner using a voucher for £35 for 2 courses each, wine and coffee. Initially this seemed like a great offer and the house wine was lovely. The food was ok but over salted and not a huge amount of choice on the offer menu. Service was ok but average. The only engaging member of waiting staff was the chap that brought us the bill.
Itinal impressions were good and I got the impression they were trying to offer something potentially quite special. Its just a shame that I wasn't left feeling wowed.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2011

I booked the Hotel du Vin for a family 80th birthday party gathering (for cake-cutting and a toast) and was really lucky in being able to book a venue, just for a few hours, without charge (saving £100!).

The Hotel appointed us our own waiter, which was fabulous - again at no additional charge other than service charge. He really looked after us.

It was wonderful to have a comfortable and homely venue for our family to unwind and enjoy some mid-to-late afternoon hot drinks, celebratory cake-cutting, and a sparkling wine toast. We were very well monitored by our appointed waiter and were given plenty of privacy as well.

I would have to recommend the Hotel as they also reserved us two parking spaces, just for our presence for a couple of hours - when they were very fully booked, as evidenced by all the signs to various rooms for functions.

It was superb to be able to use their facilities, and it was wonderful to be given these without charge.

We have stayed in three Hotel du Vin hotels as overnight guests, and now experienced the Tunbridge Wells hotel, and are still convinced that the Hotel gives over and above the standard hotel service, and I would highly recommend it. The fact that it was absolutely full in both the bar and other function rooms is saying something about how popular it is as a venue.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
West Malling, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

I went to this Restaurant last night with my wife - a treat for our 18th Wedding Anniversary - what a mistake!!
You could not find a more pretentious Somelier, but after some discussion around wine, we settled on an Italian Sauvignon Blanc for £44, which was very good. (Considering the meals a Red Wine would have been more in line, but my wife prefers white wine and I was driving). The only time the Somelier returned to table was to pour the last dregs out of the bottle, after which he removed the ice bucket without even asking if we wanted another bottle.
I selected a Beef Wellington which was cooked very well, but my wife's dish (Donald Russell Rib Eye Steak) was shocking. It was cooked OK, but the quality of the meat was absolutely terrible - my wife left at least a 1/4 of the steak behind in gristle.
In terms of booking the restauarant, we tried to book for 7:30 but the online booking system only allowed a 7:00 booking, plus you get an email asking you to arrive 15 minutes early. Seems the booking system is a complete waste of time, as there were empty tables throughout, and by the time we left, they were STILL empty. Just as well we didn't arrive early however, as I would have walked out had I been forced to spend 15 minutes with that somelier.
Definitely will not return to this restaurant.

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Glenn M
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2011

We stayed for one night at the Hotel Du Vin, Tunbridge Wells. Had already stayed at the sublime Newcastle HDV so had high hopes, but it wasn't quite the same experience.

Check in on a Friday night at 6pm was chaotic - the receptionist was very pleasant but obviously rushed off her feet. The reception area itself (a small desk) was obviously far too small to cope with more than a few guests arriving at one time. It was nearly 10 minutes before we were dealt with (although we were acknowledged), but weren't shown to the room (which I think is a normal HDV service).

Room itself was compact (the cheapest rate) but sufficient for one night. Bathroom was small also with just a shower. Room and bathroom showing slight signs of wear and tear - a few cracked tiles, marks on the room walls etc. Bed itself very comfy even though it was a small double.

We didn't eat in the Bistro for a change but the hotel is well located for other restaurants in Tunbridge Wells. We did return for a drink in the bar and were ignored from entry for at least 10 minutes. I approached the bar to order drinks and was told bluntly by the barman "I'm going off duty", with no offer of getting help. Bar staff seemed more interested in tidying up the mess and dealing with the raucous group nearby.

Next morning we had continental breakfast for one (shared) in the room which is good value and sufficient.

Check out was busy again, and we had to wait a while to be served. Overall a nice hotel in a picturesque town but not a patch on the Hotel Du Vins in Newcastle or Poole - service is lacking in some areas and the rooms need to have wear and tear monitored.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple