“Time with the Parents”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro
London, United Kingdom
“Time with the Parents”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

The first thing I have to say about this hotel is the staff. They are absolutely wonderful. They really know how to offer a wonderful service nothing was too much trouble. My in-laws forgot their tooth brushes, we asked if they had any, the young lady said yes and placed them in their room before we returned from our day out .
We have stayed in Cheltenham and found that the restaurant was a much more enjoyable experience. The food seemed to be very small portions, not that we expected huge meals we just compared with Cheltenham du vin. Baring that in mind the breakfast was excellent.

We also had a reserved parking which is great. (£10 per day) but the car park is so tight. Get there early so lots of space and don't move. The internet was a bit hit and miss but the reception offered us a booster which made a huge difference.

All in all we had a lovely time which was due to the Wonderful staff.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Nikki D, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review. Sincere apologies regarding the wifi. We are currently in the process of an upgrade to fibre optic and so we are experiencing some switch over issues. I am however grateful that you were able to use a booster from our reception to improve the service.

I will have a chat with out Head Chef regarding the small portions. The HDV brand are issued with set menu guides so no matter which hotel you visit the sizes should remain the same.

I am very grateful to you for mentioning the wonderful staff we have here. We work very hard to pull together to ensure a guest experiance to remember and I will certainly feed back to the team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Our experience was a comedy of errors. Unfortunately, the joke was always on us. We had specifically requested a quiet room but were given a room directly above the front door, overlooking the parking lot. We asked to see another room and were shown to another noisy room above the restaurant's outdoor seating area. A party was going on and could be heard even with the windows closed. We were told these were the only two rooms available but we could change rooms in a few days. We chose the room over the parking lot as it was the quieter of the two, and marginally bigger.
If you are expecting to enjoy time relaxing, this hotel is not for you. Weddings are booked on the weekends. Groups also came for birthday parties and baby showers. Hotel guests must share the reception and sitting rooms with party guests and restaurant patrons making it hard to find a quiet place to read and relax. Service was uneven during the weekend. Staff needs more training and a manager to help out.
Our room, the Wili Ovitz, was so small there was no place to sit except for the bed. A small desk that served as a refreshment center and vanity had a chair pushed underneath. If the chair was pulled out it blocked access to the bathroom. There was no other space in the room to use the chair to watch television or to sit.
An assortment of snacks were on the desk for purchase. We took the lid off a can of chips and discovered that the seal had been peeled back and the chips were open. We tried a second can with the same results. My husband brought the cans to the front desk. The clerk acknowledged that the seals were opened but said they "often peel back and open on their own". She looked inside the containers and said, "It looks like all the chips are still there so they're ok." Uh, no thanks.
The bathroom was small but the shower head rates 10 stars. The beds and pillows need replacement as they are old and uncomfortable. The noise from the parking lot and entryway weren't too bad except for the night that there were late arrivals who banged on the front door, rang the bell, and hollered until someone came to let them in. The door to our room shared the same space as the entry to a service space. Housekeeping was very quiet but, inevitably there was a bit of noise when they were coming and going.
We paid to have breakfast included but there was confusion on two mornings as to whether we had paid for this privilege. The breakfast buffet was like that offered for free at most continental hotels: juice, rolls,cereal, fruit, pastries. For an additional fee one could order menu items a la carte. My husband ordered full English breakfast and said it was good.
The service and food at breakfast was better than at other meals. We found the restaurant to be undistinguished and very overpriced.
The restaurant is apparently considered a chi chi place to dine. Patrons were nicely dressed for a special evening out. The hotel is trying to market itself as a destination for fine wine and dining but misses the mark. The addition of newer artwork featuring a wine motif isn't successful. The hotel is older and needs an entire facelift. New artwork and pillows make it look like mutton disguised as lamb.
We used our hotel as a base to explore Kent. I asked at the front desk for information on Country Houses and gardens. She said they didn't have anything. When pressed, she opened a cupboard filled with all sorts of brochures on Kent. She handed me information on activities to do with your children. We were travelling as a couple and obviously long past our child rearing days. Information on zip lining and a discount coupon for a show featuring jousting knights wasn't quite what I had in mind.
We paid an additional fee for parking in the small lot. On the first morning we noticed signs which reserved places for patrons. We had no sign. My husband went to the front desk to request one to guarantee our reservation when we returned. We were told our sign must've blown away but would be replaced. We returned to find our space reserved for "Mr. Muddlehunny". Our surname begins and ends with those letters but everything in between was in a muddle. The desk clerk told us a Mr.Muddlehunny had reserved our spot for lunch so we'd need to find another spot. Really?! (It was past dinnertime, and we worried about the safety of Muddlehunny taking to the road after such a long luncheon accompanied by wine.) We found a new parking spot and again requested a Reserved sign. My husband carefully spelled out our last name. A sign duly appeared at our spot: "Reserved for Mr."Mittlehunny". Who is Mittlehunny? Will he be lunching with Muddlehunny? The mystery remains. Frankly, we were to tired to care.

Room Tip: Do not get the Wili Ovitz room!
5 Thank RMCReview
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us. I wanted to come back with some feedback to your comments.

We do have rooms of various sizes, you booked our standard room Willi Opitz which is situated on the second floor towards the front of the hotel which I can appreciate may get a little noisy as it is on the roadside even though double glazed. We do our upmost to ensure guests are comfortable with the room they have chosen as being a listed building there are many shapes and sizes and if available offer an alternative room if not to your liking. The majority of guests had already checked in which meant we were only able to offer one other standard room which was to you declined due to the guests outside using the Terrace area.

On the Saturday you arrived we did have one wedding taking place. As it was a lovely summers eve most guests went outside to the back of the hotel after their meal. Some may have gone to check in at reception or enjoy a cocktail in the bar whilst we turned the event room round for the evening reception which usually takes around an hour, after which they are invited back to the room. We feel we cannot put any restrictions in place for the bar or lounge areas as all guests should be able to enjoy the areas of hotel.

The crisps, found amongst the mini bar items, have terrible packaging. We have found that on the odd occasion the foil seal inside the cap pops open and so I have been in contact with the supplier. These items are soon being replaced and so for this I can only apologise and the staff at reception should have just replaced this no question. Pillows are being replaced throughout the hotel.

In regards to the door bell at night we lock the hotel front doors for your own safety and security from 2am at weekends and 1am during the week. The night team respond to the door bell for any late arrivals, I apologise for any upset this may have caused you.

I do feel that our country table is a far better offering that that of a 'free buffet' at a continental hotel. We have sourced local suppliers and are able to offer freshly squeezed juices, cereals, baked croissants, brioche muffins and pastry, banana bread fruit and natural yogurts, granola, fresh fruit, fruit salad, prunes, fresh honeycomb and berry compote all of which are replaced throughout the morning so that you can enjoy just the country table or cooked breakfast alongside this.

As you are aware we were not blessed with a big car park and therefore works on a first come first serve basis however we guarantee a car parking space at £10.00 if required. There are simply no excuses for a miss spelt name. We have your details on our booking system and this should have been a very simple request to carry out for you. I am sorry that such a simple task ended up offending you, I will ensure that necessary steps are taken to make sure this is a disappointing one off.

Please accept my sincere apologies again for any upset caused, should you wish to return to the hotel please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I can ensure you are well looked after and can inform you of any possible events taking place.
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Having stayed at several of their properties I was looking forward to this. What a disappointment. Check in not friendly. Although front desk staff did come good. I read an article recently by a hotel chain head that said your first experience is the most important, too true. He also said if it's not good then the hotel has an uphill battle to get you back, also true. We found, generally, staff in all areas of the hotel were unfriendly, to put it crudely, up themselves. The worst part was breakfast on the last day. I ordered a full English and asked for the bacon & sausages to be well done, they came out burnt and inedible and also missing the mushrooms, tomatoes & black pudding. No explanation was given just put in front of me as if it was all quite OK. We had dinner included in our rate, this was below par. On checking out I mentioned the poor breakfast and also how poor the wifi connection was. I was asked if I had a booster from the hotel, clearly I didn't and one was never offered. The manager did take the breakfast off the bill and also said they knew there was a wifi problem and did I have a booster. A bit late to be to be told about the wifi booster on checking out. Highly unlikely I will return to any du Vin hotels.

1 Thank Millsejohn
Nikki D, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear reviewer,

I am disappointed that after checking out you felt you still had to write a review like this on trip advisor. When I spoke to you at reception you mentioned the breakfast and wifi only. Breakfast we removed from your bill with your satisfaction and although I take on board your comment regarding wifi, and it being too late to offer a booster, I will make sure that we are informing future guests of our current situation with the forthcoming fibre optic install and offer boosters where needed.

My most concerning factor is that you considered the staff here inadequate on your visit. I am very proud of the team here and although we inevitably cannot get things right all the time we do our upmost to ensure our customer service is of a high standard, however reading your review it is clear that we have let ourselves down on this occasion. For this I can only apologise and I will certainly be sharing your comments with the team. Should you wish to consider returning please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will ensure you are well looked after.
Kent
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My partner and I enjoyed a lovely meal at the hotel in the beautiful garden. The staff were lovely, and one of the managers Nikki was on hand to ensure we were well looked after. The food was lovely and the setting relaxing and warm. Lovely staff and lovely evening. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2014
Nikki D, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to write us a review. I am delighted that you had such a lovely meal out on our bistro terrace. I will certainly pass on your thanks to all the staff here at the hotel. I do hope we have the chance to meet again soon!
Devon UK
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here for one night for my nieces wedding in July . It was a sweltering day and the hotel was very busy, we weren't able to get into our room until 4.00 pm so that meant changing into our wedding gear in a toilet.
The staff made a great effort to give the bride and parents their rooms at 12.00 which was really important as the wedding was at 1.00.
Food for the wedding was fantastic ,wine for the meal was excellent but drinks from the bar were very expensive .
When we did get to our room which was over the function room it was very small and had no real links to the Chilean vineyard it was named after , no pictures on the wall very bland decoration , small shower room with excellent shower and great toiletries . If we were to stay again I think we would go for one of the larger rooms .
The one small fan did nothing to cool the room and it was impossible to sleep until 3.00 am
We were jealous the next morning to find that many other rooms had air conditioning .
Breakfast was fine but the service was slow and our table had a 45 min wait from first order to the last .
Check out was slow but efficient and the bill was correct .
We had a fabulous time at the wedding and the organiser did a splendid job of making sure everything went off really smoothly .

Room Tip: Go for one of the larger rooms and ask about air conditioning in the summer.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank denise m
Many thanks for your review on trip advisor. I am sorry to hear of your uncomfortable night with us, it was an unusually hot evening and although the 'wing rooms' do not offer air conditioning I will certainly invest in some better fans. Our wing rooms are the smallest in the hotel but will soon be undergoing a refurb which we are really looking forward to in the new year. I apologise for the delay in breakfast, I am aware of what happened and it has ben dealt with, so please be assured that this was a dissapointing one off. I am glad to hear that you had such a fabulous time at the wedding and I will pass on your comments to our wedding co-ordinator who ran the event on the day. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon to one of our larger rooms.
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We came here for my birthday at the weekend and had a really fantastic time. The restaurant is beautiful and so ambient, the food and wine delicious, and it made for a really special evening. The waiting staff were also very nice and attentive.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind words on trip advisor. I am delighted that you were able to enjoy a romantic meal with us and I will certainly pass on your thanks to our chef who always likes to hear feedback. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed at Hotel du Vin for a couple of nights after our wedding in July. We had the Pommery Room on the second floor which had beautiful views over Calverley Park. Lovely room and bathroom, very quiet in the hotel as was a Sunday/Monday and the air conditioning was very welcome with the warm July nights. Loved the additional touch of a bottle of champagne and note from the hotel in the room when we arrived which we enjoyed the next night with some great room service food from the restaurant. We had such fond memories of the two nights we stayed here that we went on to visit the Pommery champagne house in Rheims to see the inspiration for the room's theme.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely review, I was delighted to read that our Pommery room inspired you to visit Rheims. I will certainly pass on your comments to the team here and very much hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back for your anniversary!