“Spanish wines & tapas”
Review of Sussex Wine School

Sussex Wine School
More attraction details
Owner description: A very warm welcome to Sussex Wine School - an independent wine education company. We run wine tastings and wine courses in Brighton and Tunbridge Wells for people who enjoy wine and would like to learn more about it. No previous wine tasting experience is necessary.
London, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Spanish wines & tapas”
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Received this as a birthday present and went along with my wife. On arrival I thought - oh this looks a bit intimidating; a bunch of people sitting around a table with a laptop and projector up front. Alas, no! Great fun, really interesting and Jonny is so enthusiastic about wine it's infectious. To the point now where I have started to shun my usual cheap bottles of red from the supermarket. I now found myself searching out unusual wines from smaller retailers. Ok a bit more expensive (you still don't have to spend silly money) but I like the fact that I know just a little bit about wine, and what I am trying to look for. For example I never thought I would ever consider dry Sherry as a favourite - it is now and most especially with olives and almonds, that is if you find the right one. I'll be going along again at some point I'm sure.

Visited April 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

JonnyGibson, Owner at Sussex Wine School, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
Hi Scott
Glad you enjoyed the Spanish Wines and Tapas evening. Fino or Manzanilla sherry with salted almonds and olives really is a winning combination! Look forward to seeing you again soon. Jonny

Wadhurst, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Very informative”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

My wife and I went to the "Italy and Spain" wines evening and thoroughly enjoyed it. We learned a lot (just hope we remember some of it) and are now definitely minded to be more adventurous in trying wines from these countries.

Jonny clearly knows his subject and is able to present it in a very relaxed but informative way.

Recommended.

Visited May 2013
JonnyGibson, Owner at Sussex Wine School, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Thanks for your review of the Italy and Spain evening. I'm glad you enjoyed it and are being more adventurous with your wine choices. That's exactly what the courses and tastings are all about. Looking forward to seeing you at a Sussex Wine School tasting again soon. Jonny
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“An extremely convivial evening”
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We did the eight week course, and if we'd bothered to take notes, we would know a hell of a lot about wine now. We didn't though because we were too busy having a good time. We can spot a Riesling by it's smell alone though and fairly accurately guess the age of most reds, so we're more than happy. Thanks Jonny - really enjoyed it.

Visited November 2012
Carcassonne
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Superb!”
Reviewed 30 November 2012

If you are looking for a first wine tasting experience, already know your Bollinger from your Beaujolais or simply want to spend a few hours trying new wines with convivial like minded people - this is it!

Jonny is the font of all knowledge liquid and produced some excellent wines for us to sample (6 per night on the 8 week wine tasting course), along with nibbles. I can't recommend this course highly enough, The Brew House is a great location, glasses are provided and the host is great. We learned a lot and had a great time doing it. 11 out of 10.

Visited November 2012