“food great service terrible”
Review of Basil

Basil
Cuisines: British, Soups
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Right.. LETS START WITH THE NEGATIVE then move to the nice bits... the service here was awful it took 10 seconds to order drinks but half an hour to make some coffee's.... (in fairness to them they were very VERY busy and by the standard of the food i can understand why).. it is amazing the daily salads are phenomenal!! if the waiters would stop banging your elbows and ignoring you as they rush past and were a bit quicker and attentive this place would be on my favorite places in Kent list...
this has definitely not made me want to avoid the place as food that good is actually worth the wait and my vegetarian girlfriend has a lot of choice there and the quiches just like the salads are UN BE FREAKING LEAVABLE !!!! i'm not generally a "quiche type of person" but theirs genuinely got me a little bit warm and fuzzy!!!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My fiance and I have visited Basil many, many times now as we are trying to be healthy and they offer a good selection of salads and lunch items. The food is usually very good, and the cakes are incredible! However, the service is only okay and the main problem we have is that they run out of food, especially whole grain bread far too early! Bread is so cheap I really don't understand why they don't get more in every day. For instance last week we visited with my fiance's parents and at 1:30pm on a Tuesday they had run out of brown bread and salads! As we were on a tight schedule we stayed and made do with the options available but no one enjoyed the experience. That said with a few tweaks they could be great.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The first time I came here I ordered a salad and a coffee which took 30mins to arrive! Not impressed and I vowed not to return. However, a friend convinced me to be taken there for lunch, and I'm so glad I went back. The mozzarella pesto panini was amazing value for money; it was huge and filling and honestly the best one I've ever had. My friend had a salmon bagel and thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff were friendly and attentive. Sadly they don't take bookings and it can get very busy in here, which probably explains the delay the first time I visited, but I will make another return and I look forward to it.

1  Thank RubyM8L
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I have had lunch and coffee at Basil several times and never been disappointed. The food is all homemade, fresh and exciting looking. It's not particularly cheap, but I think worth every penny. They also make the best brownies and flapjacks in the area!
My only complaint is that it's too small so very hard to get a table. I wish they'd move to bigger premises.

1  Thank KentJuliaC
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Everything looks very nice but is nothing special and expensive. We found it very noisy and our table wobbly so moved to another table near the door. This table was sticky, we left as soon as we could.