“Great time ”

The Barn Pub and Restaurant
Price range: US$18 - US$35
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British, Gastropub, Grill
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A character pub restaurant centrally located. Privately owned and operated since 1992.In addition to the excellent food and drink at great value prices, we are proud of our very friendly staff, which combined with the ‘barn’ character setting and decor makes us a special place for a meal in our lovely air conditioned Grill restaurant, or a drink and snack in our air conditioned bar and conservatory.Enjoy a drink or snack in our delightful garden, sunny during the day, heated for those cooler days and beautifully illuminated by night.Our philosophy is "to serve freshly prepared food, using high quality raw materials at unbeatable prices."The restaurant menu has evolved over recent years, taking account of fashion changes and is based on grills and Mediterranean specialities. We have a great reputation for steaks, using only prime 28 day matured British beef.We cater for weddings and have a civil ceremony licence, and private parties.
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Have had many happy times here. The staff are attentive and look after you. Not the most high brow establishment but a great time with no pressure. :)

2  Thank Rich S
PatronHandR, General Manager at The Barn Pub and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for your review.

Your complimentary comments reflect what we try to achieve at The Barn.

We hope that you will continue to enjoy more “happy times” with us.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We had our Wedding last Sunday 13th July, what an absolutely beautiful venue, which in turn gave us an amazing day. Everything ran like clockwork, from the numerous emails between myself and Janet, and Philippe and his fantastic team went above and beyond decorating the whole venue according to my instructions and even made it look more beautiful than I could ever imagine, nothing was too much trouble, they are all amazing. All of our guests have commented on the very pretty venue and the fabulous food, if you're looking for a smaller venue this is the one, I had 56 guests to the ceremony and wedding breakfast and 120 all in to the evening, it was a very relaxed day, everything we wanted to alter was done with no problem. We will be retuning many times from now on with lots of our guests wanting to enjoy The Barn again. The DJ Luke was brilliant too, the dance floor was packed right up to the end.

1  Thank Jan C
PatronHandR, General Manager at The Barn Pub and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2014

There is nothing better than seeing the brides face when she arrives on the day of her wedding to see The Barn 'dressed' with her decorations and finishing touches, so I am so pleased that you felt it looked more beautiful than you could ever imagine!

The Barn truly did look amazing and your flowers were just beautiful!

Thank you for such a wonderful review and good health and best wishes to you both!

Philippe and Janet
General Managers

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We recently got married here (well beginning of June but Honeymoon has made me write this review a bit later than is should have been!)
Echoing what other couples have said the staff at The Barn look after you from beginning to end. We do not live local – about 50 mins drive – and we came here first to check out The Barn as a potential venue. This was the only venue we went to – after arriving at The Barn, talking to Phillipe, having a gorgeous meal and emailing Jan we knew this was definitely the place for us to get wed.
Jan and Phillipe were so efficient with every query or worry we presented to them that in the end we really felt that everything was to be taken care of by The Barn, with care; we were made to feel that all we would need to do is enjoy our day. And enjoy our day we did. The venue was perfect. The ceremony room looked beautiful (hard to imagine the transformation when it is set out for everyday business), guests were looked after and made to feel welcome. Upstairs in the restaurant the wedding breakfast was served, guests had already picked their food (that doesn’t happen a lot at other weddings) and everyone commented on how lovely the food was and how competent and friendly the staff were. I even broke my nail (my precious bridal manicure!) and Phillipe managed to save the day with super glue! I had bought decorations that were put up around the venue by staff (one less worry for the bride and groom), the garden looked stunning in the sunshine and the evening reception started fluidly – there were no long gaps and waiting around, our evening guests were fed well and looked after by staff all night.
We planned our wedding in 6 months, we visited the Barn 4 times (mainly to try another burger!) and sent endless emails to Jan – every phone call, visit and email was dealt with efficiently and reassuringly. There was not one moment on our wedding day, or the run up to it, that we worried about our wedding.

Dan and I thank you all so much for all your hard work and I recommend anyone looking for a quaint, personal and memorable day to check out The Barn. The only problem we have now is that we have to move to Tunbridge Wells so this can become our local!

2  Thank laudan20
PatronHandR, General Manager at The Barn Pub and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to post such a detailed and complimentary review following your wedding with us last month.

We are, of course, delighted that you both had a wonderful day and that we removed any worries to ensure that your special day was truly special.

Yes it is unfortunate that you live a bit away from The Barn but let’s hope that you do consider moving to Tunbridge Wells or a little closer so that we can become your local.

With very best wishes for a long and happy marriage.

Philippe and Janet
General Managers

Reviewed 9 July 2014

For the majority of the meal my partner and I were alone in the restaurant which was lovely. The waiter was very attentive and the food was yummy! There was A LOT of food on the plate though which, unfortunately I wasn't able to finish. Well worth a visit, to this high quality affordable restaurant.

2  Thank DebG91
PatronHandR, General Manager at The Barn Pub and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

If I recall correctly, we had a quiet Monday recently and I think this may have been when you visited us, as I also remember you found our portions to be large!

It is so nice to read that you found us ‘worth a visit and a high quality affordable restaurant’ . Thank you.

When you next visit, if you would prefer smaller portions, please do not hesitate to ask!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Just back from lunch. Not packed out! Food o.k. Presentation o.k Drink prices o.k. The big problem is that you are cast away at 3.0pm sharp! Lovely and infrequent warm summers day, ideal for garden resting but at 3.0pm sharp, the loo is closed, the gates are locked and you are cast away! Coffee though is good. What a shame; almost but not quite the place to which one rushes back! Maybe it is different in the evening?

1  Thank heofgreatwisdom
PatronHandR, General Manager at The Barn Pub and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

I very much regret that you felt that you were “cast away” at 3 p.m. on the particular day you lunched with us – I apologise for this.

We have, in the past, opened all day but found that from Monday to Thursday there was insufficient business to justify keeping staff on duty in the afternoon and, therefore, we only stay open all day on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. That said, you should not have been made to feel that you were not welcome to stay a little longer after we had stopped serving and, in particular, you got the impression that the toilet was closed when in fact it was not.

Having investigated your comments further I have discovered that the duty manager on this occasion did have to leave the property at 3 p.m. for domestic reasons.

Once again please accept my apologies and I do hope that your unfortunate experience on this occasion will not deter you from visiting us in the future.