Review Highlights
Keeper for a day

I bought a 'keeper for the day' experience for my OH's birthday and tagged along. It was a great... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
Mollyfloss
Battle, United Kingdom
Fantastic place

I booked an overnight stay for my hubbys birthday and our wedding anniversary combined. On arrival... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
Debjohn1
via mobile

All reviews open days photography workshop hand feeding cat lovers general public beautiful cats overnight stay camera settings amazing experience photographic experience love big cats once in a lifetime amazing photos resident photographer snow leopard afternoon tea chicken leg
Reviewed 29 July 2018

My husband and i went here for an open day today and had a nice time, the weather was not great, lots of rain and wind which was a shame, but still we got around and saw everything we wanted to see, the stalls were just brilliant and sold a lot of lovely merchandise to treasure, including lots of photos, pictures and statues of Maya.
The only downside and this is why i have only given it 4 stars is the fact that you cant get good photos of the cats as there is not viewing windows on all the enclosures which is a shame, staff will take a photo of the cats through the cages for a small donation, but they are not at all of the enclosures, they are very lovely people here though and i would recommend for anyone who loves cats to go next year.
The best enclosure for me was the white lions, you can go up above their enclosure and get some awesome photos of the beauties.
It was lovely to see Giles there to talking to people, so all in all like i say apart from the weather it was something different to do.

Date of experience: July 2018
TheBigCatSanctuary, Public Relations Manager at The Big Cat Sanctuary, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your review and we are so glad that you enjoyed your visit.

Our annual open days are our biggest fundraiser and also the only time when we have large numbers of visitors on-site. These days are designed not only to give the general public an opportunity to visit to see the cats, but also to get an insight into the conservation work we do, both here and around the world.

Generally, we offer personal experiences where our guests are given the opportunity to get up close and personal with our cats, be that in photography, guided tours or ranger days. During these experiences, there are many opportunities to take fabulous photographs, sadly, whilst we do our best on the open days to give the best possible opportunities, our enclosures are more tailored to photography on the personal experience days. This is also partially due to financial constraints, but we are constantly improving and building new enclosures all the time to provide the best possible environments for our wonderful cats.

We hope this didn’t detract too much from your enjoyment and that you were able to snap some good shots from the viewing windows that we do have. If you have an interest in photography, you can always find out more about our Photography Experiences via our website.

Thanks again for taking the time to review your visit.

Reviewed 29 July 2018

If you have seen the programmes on the television you will know this sanctuary is all about conservation. These animals are without a doubt magnificent. It’s only open a few days a year as it’s not a zoo so you would need to go on the web site. Tickets are not cheap but it is well worth it. A picnic is advised as food stalls are limited and expensive, but all other fascilities i.e. toilets are outstanding. There are also artisan stall selling lots of nicnacs and heaps of stuffed animals for the kids. Go see for yourself there is plenty of parking and the staff are really kind and helpful.

1  Thank Conor16
Reviewed 29 July 2018

I don't know where to Start.............This is definitely the place to visit nothing comes even close!

Well it was an Open Day and boy did they pack them in hundreds of people and kids, but it didn't faze me all part of the day and I guess I'm used to crowds.

It opens at 11am so we thought to leave home at 8am to allow for traffic, we got there just after 10am lol :-) no trouble at all I took a different route which avoided the main traffic perfect.

The whole layout is a photographers dream with many different positions to shoot from giving you some great photos, once you've sorted your settings out on your camera ;-) It's not a very big place so it's easy to get round rest, go back, return, and re-visit cats that might have been asleep which they do for long periods of time as we all know.

My fav would have to be the Lions speechless comes to mind, to be that close, to see them so clear is just amazing, you just want to climb over and cuddle all of them Lol :-D

I don't do much writing so this must say something good about The Big Cat Sanctuary

Love Taking Photos

Paul

2  Thank Paul D
Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

We took out 13.1/2 year old grandson to one of their opening days. It was a great experience to see all the different cats. We listened to the talks they did which is a great way to learn about some of the cats. It was a very hot day so some of the smaller cats didn't come out, though there was shade for them. It was very busy but not over crowded as we managed to get near all the enclosures. We all had a great day.

Reviewed 29 July 2018

I was lucky enough to be able to buy tickets to one of their open days and attended yesterday. From the moment we arrived all the staff from the car park guys onwards did a first class job in welcoming us and making sure we had a truly memorable day. Nothing was too much trouble. There is so much to see and do here or you can just sit back and have an ice cream and enjoy the majestic big cats in all their glory.
I am still on cloud nine this morning. I will definitely be returning next summer. Well done to you all. You can see how well these animals are cared for by their condition.

1  Thank Sparklysparkles