“Short stop for refreshment - wish we hadn't bothered”

The Head of Steam Hull
Price range: US$5 - US$16
Description: Kitchen by KerbEdge
Description: Kitchen by KerbEdge
Reviewed 5 August 2017

Although this is mainly a bar, they said they could do coffee and hot chocolate. Coffee was lukewarm. Hot chocolate was lukewarm. Asked for some hot milk to warm it up. Milk was lukewarm again. Nice brownie but paid an arm and leg for it! We live locally but would not go again. Wish I could have given a zero star rating.

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

I don't like complaining about businesses in my local City, I like to see them do well but I just had to comment on what I think of HOS. First, the interior, setting etc is lovely - everything looks great inside and it over looks the minister which is very nice BUT I think for the prices they charge, a bit of customer service wouldn't go amiss. A party of 6 of us went yesterday, and between us we spent almost £100... the place was empty practically at the time, but to have to get up and go to the bar when a bit of table service would be nice. Then when the food arrived I couldn't believe my £18 meal was served to me on a tray, in paper plates? £18? Paper plates? Sorry but for that price I expect a plate and not to have to unwrap my food before I eat it.

2  Thank Eve C
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

First time in this pub and hopefully not the last. We needed to find somewhere that could provide food for the 6 of us fairly quickly as the 2 children were getting hungry. All but one of us chose burgers. These were freshly cooked and tasted delicious. There was a sign indicating food by Kerb Edge, putting 2 and 2 together we remembered a private party where the Kerb Edge van had provided excellent food so we're pleased to see the consistently good standard. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

Walking past...spotted live musicians jamming...went inside...great drink, great music and even half a pint of peanuts...Hull is the place to be on a Tuesday night in August!

Reviewed 23 July 2017

I'll start by saying the drinks were nice but thats were the good stuff ends sadly

I had high expectations based on friends reviews. We were out as a couple (husband and wife) and were eating out and having a few drinks. Something that happens not very often with 3 kids so we were excited and looking forward to sampling the menu and cocktails. We booked about 9 days in advance so plenty of notice and when we arrived the barman acknowledged our booking and suggested we grebbed a drink as we were slightly early (only 5 minutes) but we obliged and grabed a couple of Erdinger cocktails. These were stunning and made to perfection by the female bartender who took great pride in the finish on top. After 10 minutes the barman came to take us to our table. It was a Saturday night and the place was busy and as we approached our table in the window it looked lie we were stuffed in the corner and also our table only had one chair. It becae aparent that the table behind had swapped the chair around to face their table and accomodate a guest that had just arrived. Expecting the barman to adress the issue (it was pretty clear what had happened) we stood by the table in the middle of the eating area awaiting the table to be fixed. We stood for what felt like an age and then the barman just walked back to the bar rather awkwardly. I thought he must be reviewing the seating plan but nope he just looked over at us sheepishly so I walked back over to ask what was happening. He said he awaited another table. We stood 10 more miuntes and a table came free which some guests that just walked in proceeded to sit at. The barman went over, talked to them and walked back to the bar. I asked what was happening and was told to get another drink. We stood at the bar awaitig to be served and another booking came in and they were told their table wasn't ready or something (I couldn't hear just body language said it all) They turned and left. I stood waiting still and then a table came available and my wife went to sit at it only to be told it was reserved.

Needless to say I never ordered another drink and we left.

We walked in to a bar nearby called Riddlers and I would HIGHLY Recommend it! They saved the night for us with a great 'tea pot ' cocktail and some delicious food.