“Absolutely fine for the price”
Review of Old Grey Mare

Old Grey Mare
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I've stayed at this place a few times whilst visiting my grandma, and it's absolutely fine. Clean, basic rooms at cheap prices. The last time we were there we were 'upgraded' to a family room for no extra cost! The rooms at the front of the pub also have a lovely view of the University.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Old Grey Mare

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Went here last night, had a porky platter and a hanging kebab, both were fab and really enjoyed, they have just got a new menu and I can certainly recommend this place, admittedly you know exactly what ur gna get with a chain but the food is good quality hot and served with courtesy, this place is really good too, they welcome you with open arms and make you feel that your business means a lot to them, cannot fault it... to andy and his team we may see you next week so I can try the flaming challenge and i'll be sure to make sure i'm hungry before I do... thanks again

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Recently stayed for two nights and found that the hotel/restaurant/bar gave us exactly what we were hoping for. The room was very clean and the beds comfortable. It had a decent television and facilities for making drinks. The bathroom had a shower over the bath which had a good pressure and shower gel is provided. We were in Room number 1 which overlooked the rear of the building and was quiet as it was at the end of the corridor which is quite a hike up and down steps fom reception. Reception was very welcoming when we arrived. The bar/restaurant was superb with a buzz about it and the prices of the food and drinks were very reasonable.The quality of the meals we had was very good. The staff in all areas are very friendly and nothing was to much trouble. When we revisit Hull we will definitely try to book here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Rooms are a bit dated and pretty basic. However there is free wifi at an acceptable speed. Food in the hotel is steak, ribs, chicken type affair from the grill. My ribs were a bit odd, as they seemed to have been cooked and then the sauce / marinade added before serving. Large portions though makes good value for money. Some of the breakfast options were missing off the menu, so I just went for a bacon butty.
Ok for one or two nights, but not a place youd stay for a romantic break

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
GoodNightInns, Guest Relations Manager at Old Grey Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear sowie,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review, we have shared your feedback with our management team.

Many Thanks
Good Night Inns

Reviewed 18 July 2013

I have lost count of the meals that myself and my wife have had at mare, we have not had a bad meal their in all this time. The steak I am told (from my wife is to die for and and I love the gammon amongst other things) Back most weeks on Fridays the staff are so friendly and accommeradating.Very good value food from a pub but restaurant standard

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I chose this for convenience to the uni (which cannot be faulted) and was pleasantly surprised. The staff are lovely, the rooms are clean and have everything you need. It was quiet - but out of term! Food is exactly as you would expect (I didn't try breakfast). Parking easy and they let me leave the car all day!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed at the old Gray mare hotel for 5 nights during a work trip. I am on day 2 and I have not slept well. When I first checked in I was given room 3 which is right next to the giant exhaust system for the kitchen. As soon as I walked in the the hum of the machine was quite noticeable. So I immediately went downstairs to the reception and found the manager (Scott) again who tried to accommodate me and found me an alternate room which was room 14. Well away from the generator and right above the main entrance to the pub and about 30 yards away from the main road! In short from the frying pan into the fire! Combined with poor quality beds (think of the kind of mattresses you would find in a hostel) noise of traffic and the occasional excited patron of the pub the biggest casualty thus far has been the very poor quality of sleep. I think if you get one of the rooms facing the rear car park, then you might get a bit of peace and quiet. Cleanliness is average and I am not talking about tired carpets and fittings, but poor efforts at vacuuming and as a result, there was dirt around the carpet. There was definitely evidence of a 'couldn't give a rats' by the cleaning crew. I still have another 3 nights....oh boy.

The food at pub is very cheap and the quality is reasonable. The steaks are good. The best bit of this place is the ability to just cross the road to university of Hull, which is where I needed to be. I booked through late rooms.com and paid just £32.50 per night for a double room. Car park is adequate. The pub is not as loud as some of the other pubs, it's mostly the unending traffic (it's 23:00 now) which has shown no sign of dissipating. There was 2 extra pillows in the rooms and plenty of teas and coffees.

Room Tip: Avoid any of the rooms in front of the hotel. I was in room 14.. Also a avoid room 2 and 3 right nex...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business