“2 night bank holiday weekend stay”

Campanile Hull - City Center
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Kingston-upon-Hull
sunderlland
“2 night bank holiday weekend stay”
Reviewed 8 May 2012

when we first arrived we were given a key to our room on the ground floor, when we opened the door we were hit by an overwhelming smell of vomit. The source of the smell turned out to be a splash/stain on the bathroom door, wall, bed and carpet. We went straight to reception and asked to be switched rooms however the hotel was full and we were advised it could be cleaned.

Despite cleaning and 'air freshening' the stink remained and we had to stay in the room, with nowhere else to book on a bank holiday we were stuck. We had our breakfast upgraded to a full english as an apology. The room itself (excluding the vomit) was not to the standard we would expect, even for the price. The 'tea making facilities' included to dirty cups and spoons crusted in sugar.

We were moved to another room on the first floor for our second night, which in comparison to the first, was luxury. If we had had this for our full stay I would have most likely changed my rating to average or even very good.

The night club, which is practically in the car park, was very noisy on the saturday night but no noise on the Sunday.

Despite this the city centre location was great, free parking, free wifi, extremely comfortable beds and great breakfasts. The staff were also very helpful and apologetic.

However I can guarantee we will not stay here again in a hurry!

Oh and watch out... there is only 1 plug in the room... not good for two girls..!

Room Tip: Face the carpark to avoid road noise and ask for a room closer to reception to be further away from...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Maldon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I was in Hull on business. The rooms are separate to the reception - similar to a US motel - which is good only in fine weather! The room was absoultely fine. The bed was very comfortable and clean. Good kettle and hairdryer (thanks). Telephone that connects to reception which is great for a solo traveller and not in all hotels. Good TV and separate heating for the bathroom. A bath!!! which you don't get in the Holiday Inn Express chain. Some of the rooms are near the road however I requested a room not overlooking the road and I was lucky to get it. You don't get if you don't ask!! I didn't drive to the hotel however good car park with free parking. So close to the railway station and Pearson Park. As I have provided this review I have increased the review from a 3 to a 4 due to it met my expectations and more. It is rated as a 2* however for me it has beaten many 3* that I have stayed in .

Room Tip: You can always request a 'more quiet room' which is at the back of the block. You are still...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Nikiann
North Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Stayed here overnight 28/4/12 and 29th april. We were very satisfied with our room 121, st floor.
This overlooked the main thoroughfare of Beverley Road. Being the weekend the traffic was, I am sure was at lower level then through the week. Having said that, we were still in our room early on Monday morning when the rush hour started and were not disturbed by sirens or heavy goods lorries.

We were made to feel welcome on arrival on Saturday by the reception staff and found that our room altho basic was very clean. Beds were comfortable and the bathroom was cleaned to a very high standard. Heating turned on at 2 pm which you can regulate yourself

Breakfast was to your personal preference i.e. Continental. For £2.65 extra Full English Breakfast. No complaints here.

All in all would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Traffic less noisier at weekend. You get what you pay for. Which is reasonable
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank santorini055
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Central location short walk to Station, City Centre and old town and KC Stadium. Friendly welcome, nice staff, Chalet style rooms away from reception block, good parking in a secure compound. Rooms a little tired but spotless bedding and bathroom. Our rooms faced out to the main road and suffered a little traffic noise, but roller shutters block out street lights.The reception and on site dining room was excellent and breakfast was good and plenty of it. There is a relaxed feel about the hotel and it is not as bland as many Travelodge and Premier Inns. 200 Mtrs away is The Wellington Pub 16 Real ales and the largest selection of forign beers you are ever lilkey to see. No food but we were encouraged to order a takeaway and eat in the bar ( no curry ) all in all a very good stay have used before and will use again.

Room Tip: Get an inward facing room if possible.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sirleeolgit
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We booked 2 rooms for us & our elderly parents who are in their 80's through Booking.com.I clicked on the breakfast inc option which then took me onto the Campanile website, where i filled in the booking details, got my husband to check them for me and noted down the TOTAL COST, it also said there will be no more money to pay than is shown. So, for 4 miserable nights, we endured the noise from the main rd, the constant sirens from police, ambulances etc & the unbelievable rumblings from lorries & buses. At one point, at about 4am, half asleep, I asked hubby if there was a spaceship landing it was that loud. But, have to admit the breakfast was lovely, as were the 2 ladies that served it to us. Imagine our surprise then, when we went to check out, to be given a bill, not for £288 as we had expected, but a bill for £424!!! The very unhelpful,disinterested manager was exactly that!
He just kept telling me to email Booking.com, who you also get no joy from.
Like previous reviewers i would not recommend this hotel, even if you are deaf, which, by the way, my father-in-law is & even he couldn't get a proper nights sleep!! Beds extremely comfy though.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the car park, believe it or not!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Kingston-upon-Hull hotels

Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Really recommend this hotel for anyone travelling long distances and wanting to spend a night, or two, in a real bed ! reasonably sized bathroom with all modcons and free toiletries . The bed was surprisingly comfortable and the heating was indivudually controlled,so we were not cold ( in february!) Free internet in the rooms, which is better than any of the more expensive hotelchains ! The rooms are cleaned every day and there is a restaurant on site, in case you wish to have breakfast oooor lunch/dinner. Campanille Hull on Beverley Road has very friendly helpful staff and is located very close to city centre too. YES : we recommend this hotel,completely!

Room Tip: You can take your dog with you to this hotel, but expect a small extra charge of £5, Worth it though...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Stayed here end of January 2012 while up visiting family. The chalet style rooms are just ok. The have roll down shutters over the windows which I guess you can roll up but I couldn't find the winder. Just as well really as keeping it down helps insulate against road / late night reveller noise. Even if the shutter was up the room has a dated 70's look/feel which is fine for nostalgia but a bit 'other wordly' cave-like feel to it. It was very cold out but at least the room was cosy with a wall heater and a high wall-mounted heater in the bathroom too.so we didn't go cold. Good supply of hot water too so no problem there either. However the chalets are not connected to a lobby-style main entrance so there is no one to monitor comings and goings. Went to bed just after midnight after a nice meal and a couple of drinks to get some sleep before driving back to London the next day. At 03:30 I was awakened by a group of twenty-somethings arriving back from a night out. They weren't riotous but loud and my sleep was ruined. Given that all rooms have only enough room to be double/twin I'm of the opinion that some kids are wise enough to book a room here (because it is so easy to access chalet area unmonitored) and use it as a sleep-over base for 3, 4 or more (doesn't matter if they sleep on the floor as the rooms are warm on a cold night) to save on taxi fare until public transport starts up in the morning. There are also safety implications here because you feel you cannot bang on the wall, knock on the offenders door just in case it turns out that it becomes a nightmarish scenario so in effect you feel powerless to act with no immediate form of aid at hand. To be honest I might use this place again if it came down to price. However next time I might only use it during the week. I would only recommend on this basis but would not recommend it for any woman/lady as it really is (again, in my opinion) more suited to men.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family