“Dreadful hotel”

Campanile Hull - City Center
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Kingston-upon-Hull
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Booked into the Campanile Hull and realise why I had decided not to bother with these hotels again. The fixtures and fittings are old and 'tired' but worst of all on first use of the sink it fills up with water but then must be so blocked in the pipe work that after 30 minutes the sink has only just emptied! I phoned reception (it's now 10:30pm) but was told that nothing could be done - no staff available to look at the problem and I'd have to move rooms - not very helpful and having unpacked and got ready for bed not very practical. After complaining the best I was offered was a free continental breakfast which I find appalling as to have a working sink is surely a basic essential at a hotel and I would at least expect a refund of my room charge as they don't have anyone available to even look at the problem. If you ever have to stay overnight in Hull don't stay at the Campanile...

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank M_Goodman_MBE

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed here for two nights while on a course at the local hospital which was 12hour days so just needed a place it put my head down at night. Good location and plenty of parking while I was there. Well priced and comfortable room. Warm all night despite being icy outside. Bathroom clean and all the basics (Tv, Shower, kettle etc) except an iron which would have been useful but for the cheap price I can't complain. Not a luxury weekend away but for business/conferences where you just need to get your head down does the job. Reception staff helpful and friendly.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Ideal budget hotel in city centre ideally situated for visiting KC stadium. On busy road so close the shutters for a better sleep! Free car parking with enough space for larger vehicles. Adequate breakfast.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I spent three nights there this weeks whilst I was awaiting to pick up some keys to a house in Hull. The usually stay in the Travelodge when I am away from home as I tend to find them inexpensive and basically I know what I'm getting. However, the Travelodge across the road was full so they rang up and had the staff reserve me a room here. On booking in I found the staff were really welcoming. friendly and accommodating. The receptionist set up the WIFI for me on my laptop. I ate there three nights in a row and I loved their vanilla ice cream. The room was comfortable, warm and cosy: I didn't want to leave!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank HNRDeb
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on Thursday night. Does what it says on the tin. Bed was really comfy and snugly. As a smoker I also appreciated that I only had to step out of my door on to the balcony.
Staff were all very friendly.
Great free secure parking too.
No noise polloution, was a great nights sleep. Will defiantly visit again.

Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank NatCatHat
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Awful nasty cheap hotel, room dirty and cold could not use the promised wi-fi as the receptionist said it was broke, I had a wi-fi signal but she would not give me the password. Very unhelpful. Did not eat there, the food looked disgusting.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Steve S
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This hotel seems to get bad reviews, I don't see why, maybe I was lucky!

I checked the location prior to booking, and the pub next door didn't really bother me, you can't cut through the hotels grounds any more, and we stayed on a Friday night and didn't experience any bother or drunkards, and for £30, I thought "what the hell".

The receptionist let us park 2hrs prior to check-in which was nice, we headed off to the City hall for the darts tournament and I nipped back later to check-in and was back to the centre in around 20 minutes total.

The rooms are motel style - this actually appealed to me and was the deciding factor for me to stay here, it was a novelty. We were right on the front facing the road, ground floor, which are supposedly the worst rooms, but no noises kept me awake despite the doors and windows looking flimsy. The room was small, but this is an extreme budget hotel and was expected, there was however tea/coffee facilities and clothes storage, I could easily have lasted up to a week in the room. The bathroom was decent sized, but unfortunately is a shower-bath set-up, but as this was just somewhere to crash for the night, it wasn't a big deal.

I did notice the reception/bar/dining area closed up pretty early, this might be a problem to some, but overall - this was a pleasant experience, If I was coming to Hull again, I'd stop here no questions.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends