“Rough Diamond”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Hull
“Rough Diamond”
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I have walked past the Cooks Endeavor bar and restaurant for years and the bland dark facade has never tempted me to walk beyond the permemantly closed door which is also due to the restricted opening times.

After a drink in William Hawkes opposite my wife and I intended on going for a nice meal somewhere which is largely impossible in Hull City centre. We saw what looked to be a menu taped to the window of the Cooks Endeavour and walked accross the street to have a look. It seemed expensive but did offer what looked to be "fine dining" meals so we thought we would take a chance.

The bar was empty when we walked in at about 8pm and a temp waitress sat bored behind the bar but the view through an open kitchen door suggested a well maintained and modern looking kitchen so we continued.

After asking if we could dine we where led upstairs to the small but intimate dining room were the waitress had to go back and find the key to the room only to be accompanied back upstairs with the Australian chef who shoulder charged the door as it was not locked but simply stuck.

Candled were lit and we were given the menu which had a small selection but offered good meals with what looked to be quality produce.

The mood of the room was very 18th century with old photographs of Whitby telling a silent story of a distant past when Whitby and it's residents toiled against raging seas and tougher times.

The wait was about 25 minutes but the food when it came was very nicely presented and showed that the chef through every effort into what he wanted to portraty as fine dining. The food itself very nearly matched its premise but just lacked that final push that would have seen it grace menus in the true quality restaurants that this unasuming establishments would dearly love to be.

However, that is not to say that this rough diamond does not rank among the better restaurants this city has to offer and the chef, albeit a colonial cousin shows his passion on every plate we recieved. Why he chose Hull to work in I don't know but if he is willing to commit this sort of cuisine to this city then I think the people of Hull who want a little bit more than an ASK pizza or a Curry from Beverley road would do a lot worse than vist Cooks Endeavour.

I for one will put it firmly at the top of my list of place to eat when I want to escape the humdrum of processed establishments and the multi mix environments as "family pubs"

I would say that they need to advertise better but as far as I am concerned, if I get the same peace and quite of the intimate comfortable surroundings then it's just fine that they carry on as they are.

Well done Marty (Chef)

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Mark W

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Still to be beaten”
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Our 4th visit to Cooks Endeavour and it hasn't failed to impress us every time.

Intimate setting, nice staff, fantastic food and a laid back approach meaning you can feel comfortable spending as long as you want in the restaraunt. Most people still haven't heard of the place, but with the standard of restaurants in Hull now improving it more than holds it's own. I haven't had a better meal anywhere in Hull and will be back in the new year.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Chocice22
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Great food, but not the best”
Reviewed 29 November 2012

The food was very good quality, and well cooked, but the restaurant looked very tired and in need of refurbishment. Staff were great and service superb. There are better restaurants in Hull, but there are very many that are worse. Its worth going to sample the menu.

Visited November 2012
hessle
“Dark!”
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Food good, service good, value for money good ! This is however the darkest restaurant I have ever eaten in to the point where I had to hold the candle up to the menu ! Was all a bit weird chef having a cigarette on the front of the restaurant when we arrived :-( an all lacked a bit of atmosphere shame because was really nice food

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank HessleTravellingbird
Hull - Yorkshire
“Possibly the best chef in the city ?”
Reviewed 6 October 2012

Second visit to this wonderful restaurant in Hull's old town. Blink and you'd miss it - Cook's Endeavour is from what I've learnt one of the oldest licensed premises in the city. A quirky, full of character building with lots of original features, beams, steep staircase and wobbly walls ! Visited on a quiet Friday evening at 8.30 to be met by the staff for pre dinner drinks in the bar downstairs which incidentally is now open for just drinks should you not wish to dine.
Now a word regarding booking - definitely recommended as there are only 20 or so covers in the main front restaurant however there are ather rooms at the rear of the building. The front main room is the much nicer setting though.
Ordered starters of king prawns which were delicious, superbly presented. Main course of chicken breast filled with king prawns, with bacon served with holandaise sauce and fresh vegetables was again delicious and presentation faultless. My partner's choices were equally as good.
Attentive staff during the meal were on hand if needed but not at all in your face enabling diners to enjoy the food and their company together.
At the end of the meal enjoyed a chat with owner and chef Marty downstairs.
There are plenty of new restaurants popping up in Hull so competition is fierce - 1884 Dock St Kitchen at the Marina, and new eateries on Princes and Newland avenue but, give this place a try. I have visited most and for food quality and presentation, they do not compare to Cook's.
One of the best secrets in Hull ? Possibly so.

• Visited October 2012