“Cold and dark!”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Cold and dark!”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I must admit that I was looking forward to this experience after reading the reviews... I was however disappointed with the surroundings which were dark, cramped and cold albeit on a very cold night. The restaurant was busy with almost all of the 20 or so chairs taken.
The staff though were attentive and whilst the meals good but the portions quite small for the prices charged.
In summary this is small restaurant with aspirations to be something other than it actually is.

• Visited March 2013

“Lovely”
Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

This wasn't our first visit to this restaurant and will certainly not be our last , as with every other visit we have made we both had a lovely time , nice atmosphere good service with amazing food cooked to perfection we are never disappointed , if your ever in hull and want something special then this is the place to go the food will blow you away , already looking forward to going again

East Yorkshire
“Perfect!!!”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Didnt even know this place existed until a friend recommended it to my partner. Its small and cosy and perfect for a couples outing, maybe wouldnt dine here with a large party as only a small dining area. Regardless of this we both had steak which was absolutely to die for, we asked for a different sauce as neither of us liked the option on the menu, the chef made us a peppercorn sauce like non ive ever tasted! Delicious...service was amazing, location very central, literally a minute walk to a selection of bars. Perfect, will definitely be returning soon. Thank you x

• Visited March 2013
east yorkshire
“Have an amazing experience”
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I have eaten here several times, and never been disappointed. Rather than specifically praise my experience I would like to counter other comments.
Where else in Hull, particularly the Old Town do you get prompt inobtrusive service and a delicious cordon bleu meal?
The rooms are very subtly lit, what's worse than a 100 watt bulb overhead?
The building is one of the oldest in the area, the older they get the more difficult it is to keep things as you might get with a newer one.
The owner is Australian!! And? He and his sous chef can tantalise those taste buds like nothing I have experienced in my home town.
Take a chance and try the place, relax and enjoy!!!

1 Thank comfortlover63
Hull
“Rough Diamond”
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I have walked past the Cooks Endeavor bar and restaurant for years and the bland dark facade has never tempted me to walk beyond the permemantly closed door which is also due to the restricted opening times.

After a drink in William Hawkes opposite my wife and I intended on going for a nice meal somewhere which is largely impossible in Hull City centre. We saw what looked to be a menu taped to the window of the Cooks Endeavour and walked accross the street to have a look. It seemed expensive but did offer what looked to be "fine dining" meals so we thought we would take a chance.

The bar was empty when we walked in at about 8pm and a temp waitress sat bored behind the bar but the view through an open kitchen door suggested a well maintained and modern looking kitchen so we continued.

After asking if we could dine we where led upstairs to the small but intimate dining room were the waitress had to go back and find the key to the room only to be accompanied back upstairs with the Australian chef who shoulder charged the door as it was not locked but simply stuck.

Candled were lit and we were given the menu which had a small selection but offered good meals with what looked to be quality produce.

The mood of the room was very 18th century with old photographs of Whitby telling a silent story of a distant past when Whitby and it's residents toiled against raging seas and tougher times.

The wait was about 25 minutes but the food when it came was very nicely presented and showed that the chef through every effort into what he wanted to portraty as fine dining. The food itself very nearly matched its premise but just lacked that final push that would have seen it grace menus in the true quality restaurants that this unasuming establishments would dearly love to be.

However, that is not to say that this rough diamond does not rank among the better restaurants this city has to offer and the chef, albeit a colonial cousin shows his passion on every plate we recieved. Why he chose Hull to work in I don't know but if he is willing to commit this sort of cuisine to this city then I think the people of Hull who want a little bit more than an ASK pizza or a Curry from Beverley road would do a lot worse than vist Cooks Endeavour.

I for one will put it firmly at the top of my list of place to eat when I want to escape the humdrum of processed establishments and the multi mix environments as "family pubs"

I would say that they need to advertise better but as far as I am concerned, if I get the same peace and quite of the intimate comfortable surroundings then it's just fine that they carry on as they are.

Well done Marty (Chef)