“Must try to see how good it really is”

The Whittington and Cat Hotel
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Stayed here whilst going to Biffy concert.
Couldn't believe how close to the arena, station, shops and restaurants we were.
Staff really friendly and welcoming
Would definately stay here again if in Hull and recommend it to friends.
Stayed in te Emerald Room only £49 bargain!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Debra0808

Reviewed 16 January 2011

From the outside, this looks a little disheartening, being a traditional old pub in an area that has been largely redeveloped (trading estate, etc). However inside the B+B is fantastic
My room was spacious and decorated in what can only be described as boutique style. Lots of little trimmings (sweets on the dressing table, etc).
Breakfast is on a help yourself, cereal, tea, coffee, juice, fruit basis and there is an honesty box if you want to help yourself to chocolate, coke, etc from the fridge.

Food is served downstairs. Good selection and freshly cooked (not re-heated). I had fish and chips/ Nice haddock in crisp batter and home made chips....Big portion too and very reasonably priced. The bar is well stocked with real ale on hand pump. Price was about £50 per night via laterooms.

I will be back when next in Hull

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank sowie
Reviewed 1 September 2010

I read the Trip Advisor reviews before I booked at the Whittington and Cat and was very happy with my choice. When I arrived however, I have to say that my heart sank as I drove round the roundabout approaching the Inn. From the road it did not look very promising! Located by a big road and nestling next to a retail park. Undaunted I went in (having parked in the retail park!) and was met by a cheery smile and a very warm welcome.

It transpired that due to booking issues, I had been upgraded and was to stay in what was called the apartment. So climbing to the second floor I was shown round a fantastic room with a full size kitchen off he lounge, a large leather sofa and a huge LCD TV. In the bedroom a large and very comfortable double bed and a nicely appointed shower room.

As a previous reviewer has said, breakfast is cereals and fruit along with tea and coffee, but this is fine.

This is a fantastic little B&B / Inn and I really can't recommend it highly enough. As and when I am back in Hull, I will certainly stay here again. Try it, it's good value and a super place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank bobmonk13
Reviewed 21 June 2010

- 5 mins walk from the train station
- Lovely rooms
- Great, friendly service
- Wonderful Fish & Chips
- Fantastic value

If you have to be in Hull, stay here.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank John_Kelly123
Reviewed 30 April 2010

Great staff, friendly atmosphere. If you like a full english breakfast this b&b won't suit you as its help yourself to cereals, juice, and tea or coffee. Food excellent Steak pie to die for gravy as well.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2010

I have a lot in common with the previous reviewer in that found this lovely pub trying to avoid the big chains in town. I found the staff to be very helpful and friendly and stayed in the Black & White room. It was nicely laid out and the large wall mounted LCD TV was great.

I had a great night's sleep but the edge was taken off the stay with an underpowered shower and the 'continental breakfast' which boiled down to help yourself to orange juice, cereal and milk from the fridge in the corridor and eat it in your room.

When I stay away I have very long days and look forward to a cooked breakfast or at least a 'proper' continental breakfast with toast, pastries, yoghurts, meats etc.

I still believe this is a place worth staying, but not the bargain I thought I'd found given the breakfast provision.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank FrogDad
Reviewed 7 April 2010

Found this hotel when searching for somewhere to stay for an evening in Hull. I try to avoid the big chains where possible but occasionally it's the easiest bet. I'm very glad to have found this hotel this time!

The hotel is an old Victorian pub and from the outside looks like a typical pub but on the inside is clean and modernised. The hotel itself is beautifully decorated. We stayed in the Black & White room (each room has a theme).

For the money we paid it was great and will definitely stay again. The only downsides were the uncomfy bed (for me, my partner slept fine) and the bathroom wasn't as clean as it could be - neither bad enough to say anything though! But the location, friendliness of staff and it not being a chain makes up for this! Also considering it is above a pub it was very quiet.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple