“Koo Bar”

Cuisines: Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We went for a surprise 60th birthday do. There were also other"do's" going on, in a rather small "bar" noteably a hen night and stag night, which meant the staff were overrun and could not cope. The ladies loo, comprised of one toilet with a sliding door and no lock to it and a very small waiting area for one person. Noisy, nothing to add, could have been drinking in a barn!

1  Thank DracPatch

Reviewed 4 April 2012

I visited Koo Bar with a groupon voucher. My boyfriend and I both have hectic jobs and this was supposed to be a nice night out. We arrived at 7 when we had booked the table for and were asked to sit anywhere. After 15 minutes I asked if we could see the drinks menu, to be told the only two options were peach or strawberry belini. These came 20 minutes after ordering. We then had to wait again to order food. Which came 1hour and 45 minutes after ordering. We only ordered 2 pizzas and a side of chips. The food was not up to much either. There were 5 other parties of 2, therefore not busy many who also walked out, or complained. After the rating of 0 by the food standards agency. I will definitely not be visiting here ever again!

2  Thank Alexa87
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I visited Koo Bar last night on a Groupon voucher as it was cheap, which allowed me to have 4 Tapas dishes and 1 Jug of Sangria to share.

As I entered the building I must admit, my first impressions were a little bit dampened by the appearance of the worn furniture. However, when we approached the bar, we was greeted politely by a smartly dressed bartender, who showed us to our table, which were located near the windows, although he did suggest we used the private booths, to which we accepted.

We was presented with a private booth, with luxury seating, and was delighted to see there was a self service beer pump and although we never used it, the bartender explained how it works, and we was pleasantly surprised as we have never seen this concept before (for another time).

Upon us seating the bartender gave us our menus, to which we found was vast in choice and the descriptions alone made mine and my girlfriend's mouth instantly salivate, not to mention the delightful smells coming from the kitchen.

Shortly after we were served with our Sangria, which was simply beautiful. Approximately 15 minutes later our food came out looking and smelling beautiful, and as authentic to Spanish Tapas that I have never seen in the UK before (and I have dined all over the country).

The dishes we ordered were; Prawn Gambass, Chicken Satay, Calamares and Grilled Halloumi and Courgette. To say we was impressed was the least, all the dishes were served individually on a bed of salad and with dips and garnishes to compliment. The food was fresh, clearly cooked to order and was sizzling as it was brought to our table. We was that impressed we continued to order a further 4 dishes on the (remarkable well valued) Tapas Menu. These included; Prawn Gambass (must try if you go to Koo Bar), Falafel, Lamb Borek and Polpette Meatballs...which filled us up feeling ultimately satisfied.

To finish off what we thought would be a average night considering it was a Groupon offer, we decided to stay for Cocktail and was invited to the bar to watch them being prepared fresh. I ordered 'Old Fashioned' to which my partner ordered a 'Ellis' Gold', to which we learned was a signature 'KOO COCKTAIL'. The bartender was friendly, gave us an insight into how the cocktail was made and also showed off some of his amazing knowledge and skills, which I have never seen in a Cocktail bar this side of the country. We proceeded to order a couple more cocktail as we thoroughly enjoyed our night, before tipping the bartender (well deserved).

Overall I would give this place a 9/10...losing the 1 point simply for needing a slight revamp (but don't let it put you off). Me and my partner enjoyed it that much we are going again next week, although without the Groupon. Thanks KOO for an amazing experience, all in all.

2  Thank FoodLuver89
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I visited the bar with friends, we informed the bar man we wanted to order food and were shown to a private booth which was very comfortable.
We ordered tapas dishes from the menu, I would recommend the satay chicken and gambas prawns as they were very nice! We were able to watch the bar man make our cocktails from scratch, they were so lovely we stayed for more after our food.
Overall great food, drinks and service so I will definatley be returning

1  Thank NatHull
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I visited koo bar last night with my freind for the open mic night, even though it wasn't as busy as i expected but we were made at home and the atmosphere was brilliant, we both decided to have cocktails, i had the long island iced tea and my freind had the strawberry daiquiri, we stood and watched as the cocktails were been made, everything was made fresh and tasted amazing, i will definateley be returning to koo bar ......

1  Thank laura t