“Good and bad”

The Royal Hotel Hull
Reviewed 17 March 2011

Stayed for one night. Unfortunate check in problems, which I'm not sure if was a problem with our travel agents or the hotel, but we were eventually allocated rooms. Surprised to read that the hotel had been recently refurbished as decor and condition of fixtures and fittings in room didn't give that impression - noisy hum from bedside light, another broken light, toilet flush tempremental and mediocre shower. However, nice big room and comfy bed. Had trouble with my key and very pleasant, friendly man came and made sure it was all working fine. Had dinner in the restuarant and service was poor, robotic and cold. Our table seemed to miss out on the bread rolls which was unfortunate as there was no bread to accompany the soup. Food quality acceptable but not particularly memorable. Breakfast service similarly poor, there seems to be a strict demarcation of roles which meant empty plates/dishes weren't taken away. Other than service/room niggles the hotel itself has a pleasant feel and the lobby/bar area has been sympathetically decorated with a successful blend of modern and traditional. Would stay again, but would probabaly eat elsewhere!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank anonKingston
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2011

Dear anonKingston
Thank you for your comments following your stay and i am pleased that you would choose to stay with us again when back in Hull
Stewart Rushton, general manager

There are newer reviews for The Royal Hotel Hull

Reviewed 12 March 2011

The Royal Hotel was way below average for all the basic things that are easy to get right. When I arrived the chap on reception took a couple of minutes to talk to the people he worked with rather than deal with me. Then the room itself was small (I booked the standard room) and it smelled fusty. The room was clean, but one of the taps in the bathroom wasn't screwed down properly and it moved 90 degrees when I turned the tap. The flush didn't flush 9 times out of 10. In the morning I couldn't work the shower because it was so stiff and I had to get the duty manager to turn it on (and he admitted they were 'temperamental'). The breakfast buffet was very average and the toast was limp. I complained about the shower and flush to the receptionist and he said they'd look into it.

But it was all pretty surprising given that the hotel has been renovated recently (it looked old-fashioned too).

On the up-side, if you're coming by train the entrance is in the station but all the main hotels looked pretty central.

I would recommend a trip to Hitchcock's vegetarian restaurant though (google it). It's a bit studenty inside, but the food's very fresh and good. I was going to go to Ask or Prezzo's and I'm glad I went there instead.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank RobbleLondon
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2011

Dear RobbieLondon
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Mercure hotel in Hull.
I am delighted you found our location ideal and have noted your comments about the maintenance problems. These have been addressed and please accept my apologies for the frustrations this caused. Sincerely, Stewart Rushton.

Reviewed 11 March 2011

For the first time in all my years of adding reviews i have to say i found no service at this hotel. The hotel is fantastic , good value, full of old world charm but very well furnished rooms. Despite being part of the railway i found the constant bustle outside just added to the charm and , for a midweek break, i found it surprisingly quiet. Can't praise the building enough.
Sadly , whilst we all have bad service from time to time, the Royal Hotels was relentless. From problems with booking , despite phoning , writing & e-mailing confirmation i received nothing in return and , not surprising, this led to a problem on checking in.
Evening meals & breakfasts led to a level of service about as bad as i've ever had from waiting 20 minutes from having my pudding order taken to being delivered ( i lied- it was 22 minutes - i counted) to constantly having to ask for stuff at breakfast like coffee, toast, could you fill the juice up as it's all gone, all 3 sauce bottles empty, buffet style breakfast dishes just not replenished etc. Probably my best one was the side-salad i ordered with my main meal being delivered as i finished my last mouthfull of the main meal or was it my pudding order of toffee and apple pudding where i seriously was asked if i meant apple and toffee pudding , as this was how it was listed on the menu. I have to add there were only 4 people in the whole resteraunt so it wasn't exactly busy.
I don't think i've been a whole trip where i got the impression that every single member of staff disliked their job and showed no enjoyment - there was one single ray of sunshine though- Iain , on the main desk was friendly and efficient and as his was the last face i saw i will always remember the hotel fondly - but i won't stay there again.
We all read reviews of hotels we've stayed in and wonder if we've stayed in the same hotels as the reviews vary wildly but i cannot see how the service, particularly at meals, could have been any worse.
Can i add a few more minor niggles- you can't see the TV from the bed in my room. You used to be-able to as you can see where it used to be. There is Wi-Fi in the hotel but the codes they give you only last 24 hours so you keep having to go back each day & get the new ones.They do a fantastic afternoon tea which , on a whim , i would have liked - it is only available in advance?- in a hotel this size you have to order afternoon tea in advance?. There are no instructions for anything in the room - i know we all know how to work the kettle but TV controls are like the flight control panel on a 747 , as are the mysteries of the IPOD looking air-con controls or even simply a guide saying what time breakfast is - but then , that would be too easy , wouldn't it?.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MACreadie26
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2011

Dear MACreadie26
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. I am sorry that you had a number of issues with us and would like the opportunity to address these with you.
If you are happy to correspond, my email address is gm@hotels-hull.co.uk
sincerely, Stewart Rushton

Reviewed 9 March 2011

Despite emailing and asking for a quiet location, then repeating the request at reception, we were put in a room on the second floor immediately above the disco. Unfortunately we didn't realise this until the noise started at 10:00. We were unable to change rooms as the hotel was full, so heard the music and the DJ bellowing away until 12:30.
This rather spoilt our view of the hotel which is a shame, as the staff were very pleasant, the room was clean and the hotel itself was very good value for a lovely historic hotel. The location is fantastic, right in the centre of town. However we would not recommend the hotel on a Saturday night, although presumably other evenings are quieter.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
1  Thank propmill
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2011

Dear propmill
Thank you for your positive comments regarding our hotel team and location. We do put guests not attending events on the higher floors but accept my apologies as we were unable to find a bedroom on the top floor for you on this occassion.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel when you return to Hull.
Sincerely. Stewart Rushton

Reviewed 8 March 2011

A good, honest hotel ideally situated in the city centre. The hotel is clean, nicely renovated and most of the staff are attentive and pleasant. Rooms are done to a reasonable standard and are clean. We stayed in an all inclusive deal which was excellent value for money. The restaurant food is to a good 'pub' standard and is not badly priced though the bar is pricey (as to be expected in a hotel). All in all a pleasant stay. Just a word of warning though - weekend revellers catching trains at 3am can be noisy but this is hardly the fault of the hotel and is mentioned more for those of you who sleep lightly!

• Stayed: March 2011

Dear AshSmash1980

Thank you for your positive comments following your stay with us and i am glad our location was ideal for you. The last train out is at 23.30pm and the railway station closes from 23.30pm to the public though. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back when you return to Hull.
Sincerley, Stewart Rushton

Reviewed 15 February 2011

We stayed here for one night on a dinner, bed & breakfast offer. We have previously stayed here before the refurb and it has definatly improved. Our room was pleasant with a flat screen tv, kettle, hair dryer etc. The shower was not the best it was like being in a light shower rather than a heavy downpour but apart from that it was fine.
We had a three course meal in the evening and each course was nicely presented and tasted lovely. We had a couple of drinks in the bar / lounge area which is very nice.
The next morning we had breakfast which is buffet style, all the food was cooked nicely and stayed hot on our plates. We paid £70.00 for our stay and it was worth every penny, would definatly go back if the price was right.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

With kind regards,
Luc

Reviewed 5 February 2011

We stayed at the Royal Hotel on an all inclusive break and it was wonderful. From the minute we arrived we were made to feel welcome. We we allocated rooms on the 3rd floor which were obviously newly refurbished with new bathrooms, nice furniture and flat screen TVs.
The food was really nice and the restaurant very pleasant with lovely staff.
The hotel is part of the railway station and you can sometimes hear the station announcements from the restaurant which all adds to the character. It is in the centre of Hull and the shopping is excellent, I was really impressed with everything and would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank happyholidayjules

Thank you for your review. I am looking at all our ‘older’ reviews and I apologies that we didn’t reply to you sooner. I value your feedback and I hope that you will return to my hotel in the near future. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your all-inclusive break.
With kind regards,