“Not much has changed”

The Royal Hotel Hull
Stockport
“Not much has changed”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I've stayed at the this hotel many times on business over the last 6 years and I was interested on the latest trip to see what had changed since it had acquired the 'Mercure' name.It's always seemed a little stuck in the past so I was hoping for some radical changes. There are some new tables and chairs in the restaurant and bar areas and there's also now free WiFi which is good but, apart from that, I couldn't see how it fitted in with the Mercure brand which I've always associated with something slightly up market.

Some minor issues in the room such as a missing toliet roll holder which could easily have been fixed by someone going to a local DIY shop, and a toliet seat that wouldn't stay up - neither of which say 'Mercure' to me.

Not a bad hotel by any means - just still some way to go.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Thank you for leaving a review. I am looking through all my ‘older’ reviews and I hope you will accept my apologies for the fact that we didn’t reply any sooner. Since your visit, I ahve taken over as General Manager and we have made some positve changes. I value your feedback and I hope I am able to welcome you again in the near future.
Luc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
or
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Rooms are renovated to some extent, public spaces even less. Shower pressure and temp not consistent.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, 4 August 2011
Dear anonymousor. Thank you for your comments following your stay with us at the Royal hotel When you return back to the city, my team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal. Sincerely Stewart Rushton, General Manager
Sheffield, UK
Reviewed 26 July 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Royal Hotel in Hull for the weekend. The hotel was full and we felt that we were assigned a room that we hoped was only used as a last resort (although there was no apology to indicate this to be the case). It had been recently modernised, as with the rest of the hotel, but whilst it had a double bed, the size of the room and the facilities made it suitable only as a single. Our window actually overlooked the station concourse, so with the window open we heard all the announcements and could smell and hear the diesel train engines. That on it's own wasn't too bad, but the bathroom was tiny and the shower just a pathetic drizzle. The breakfast was poor and service chaotic - the hotel being full seemed to have taken them entirely by surprise! Overall, a real disappointment and not one expects from the Mercure brand.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Inthebook Thank you for your comments following your stay with us at the Royal hotel. The slight downside of choosing a hotel by a railway staion is you may occasionally hear the trains. I have noted your comments on the other areas and will address these. Sincerely Stewart Rushton, General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Kingston-upon-Hull hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We chose to stay at the Mercure Royal in Hull after reading tripadviser reports. The hotel was a real treat, beautiful old building recently refurbished, beautifully decorated, good carpets and curtains (even in the back areas), good staff, tasty food. Can't fault it. Excellent stay.
The real surprise was HULL itself....... it is lovely. So much thought and money has been spent up dating and modernising old warehouses etc, and the waterside walks. Absolutely lovely. We went to see the David Hockney painting in the Ferens Gallery..... Staggering (thank you David) but stayed and were so impressed with HULL........ Try it, Businesses should flock there, it's great.

Room Tip: Spacious, Spotless, quality furnishings. Maybe duvet a bit too hot, and unable to open windows but w...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear alex2010 Thank you for your positive comments following your stay with us. When you return back to the city, my team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal. Sincerely Stewart Rushton, General Manager
Sheffield
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Recently refurbished to a high standard this hotel is in an ideal location with shopping centres and museums on the doorstep.Free car parking and internet are a bonus.with their "all inclusive" deal not to be missed.Friendly, helpful staff complete the package.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for leaving a review. I am looking through all my ‘older’ reviews and I hope you will accept my apologies for the fact that we didn’t reply any sooner. I value your feedback and I hope I am able to welcome you again in the near future.
Derby
Reviewed 18 July 2011

This was my third visit to this hotel using their all inclusive deal,and again was not disapointed. The staff go above and beyond to help, are pleasent and chatty and warm. The hotel backs onto the station concourse (great if you arrive by train) and if you wish, you can have a room overlooking the station if you ask at the time of booking. Dont imagine these rooms are noisy, they are double glazed and more noise comes off the air cooler than comes from the station. The restaurant can get busy early evening so it is best to book your table early if you want to eat at a specific time. The meals are to a very good standard if a bit limited on choice. Breakfast is a self service buffet with fresh hot produce coming from the kitchens regularly. (nb. If you want fried eggs you have to ask). Decor of the hotel is generally ok but could do with a little refresh in some areas. Overal this is a comfortable hotel and as long as they do the all inclusive deals we shall return many times.

Rotherham
Reviewed 16 July 2011

We stayed for 2 nights on the all inclusive deal (£79 each) The hotel was charming, welcoming and conveniently situated for tourist attractions. We were put in an Executive room which was lovely. Facilities were excellent (we even had 2 TV's, 1 for the bed and 1 for the sitting area) All the staff were very friendly and helpful, especially the Bar and Restaurant Staff . Its impossible to remember all the names but Ruth and Barbara in particular. The food was excellent (the only slight niggle being the menu on the All inclusive deal was the same both nights. This was no problem to us as it all suited our tastes. For value for money this deal was outstanding and we will be recommending this hotel to all our friends and we will be visiting it again. Thank You for a wonderful stay.