“excellent weekend break”

The Royal Hotel Hull
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Kingston-upon-Hull
Reviewed 22 November 2011

fab time, nothing was too much trouble, from reception staff to john on maintanance who took me to several rooms to choose from as original room was rather small. settled on a double window annex room, yes the rooms are old, but very clean, no smells, light and airy,everything you need for a weekend away. evening meal choice of starters mains or desserts, and dave the manager and aimee who served breakfast was an asset. all inclusive bar, great .location very central to all shops and museums.

Room Tip: would choose room at the front of the hotel as they are the larger bedrooms.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

Thank you for leaving a review. I am looking through all my ‘older’ reviews and I hope you will accept my apologies for the fact that we didn’t reply any sooner. I value your feedback and I hope I am able to welcome you again in the near future.
Luc

Write a ReviewReviews (1,376)

Reviewed 21 November 2011

My wife and I stayed here for one night recently. On arrival we were kept waiting only a short time and the receptionist helpfully advised us we had the choice of two rooms - one at the front on the first floor, but there was a wedding party in the room underneath!! or we could have a room in the old part of the hotel where it would be quieter. We opted for the latter!!

The room was basic and tidy, and the bathroom looked quite clean. But the bottom of the showerscreen was a good 1-2 cms above the bath edge so whenever we had a shower the water went on the floor!! Not good! The room had been repainted but not well, and cracks and peeling lining paper had been painted over which probably lasts only as long as it takes the decorator to leave the building.

We had room service which was okay, and arrived on time which was good. The waiter was very polite and helpful.

It wasn't a memorable stay and is lower down the scale of hotels I've stayed in over the last few years - but it could be a fantastic place. There is real potential in this hotel - right next to the railway station opposite House of Fraser and the shops of Hull. It's history, location and architecture are all huge pluses if only the owners would invest in restoring this place to its former glory.

But for the price we paid for the room and breakfast it was adequate.

Would I stay here again? Probably not.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for leaving a review. I am looking through all my ‘older’ reviews and I hope you will accept my apologies for the fact that we didn’t reply any sooner. Since your stay, I have taken over as General Manager and the hotel has undergone some substantial positive changes. I value your feedback and I hope I am able to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

booked all inclusive deal via hotelshop and cant fault it at all. check in efficient,room clean and comfortable.bar and lounge area very nice with separate tv room, good choice of beers, house wine quaffable. set menu differed each evening with choice of 4 or 5 starters and mains ,good quality well cooked and better than expected for the price. breakfast offered good choice of cooked and cold selection with fried or poached eggs cooked to order, all very nice indeed. great location for sightseeing, shops museums etc almost on your doorstep. best of all though was the staff. everyone bar none were friendly, service was excellent throughout and nothing was too much trouble, so refreshing these days and very much appreciated. would not hesitate to recommend hotel to anyone and will definitely be returning in the future, well done all of you

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 November 2011

There was a big party going on when I arrived so had to wait some time to check in. Person that checked me in was polite but didn't offer any information about the hotel or area. Room was OK but I don't think it was the 'superior' I had booked. If it was, I can't imagine what the others are like. It had ill fitting bed linen, shabby carpet and old furniture. You could also hear the extractor fan from next door's room which went on and off all night. Excellent location but this hotel really does need some updating.

• Stayed: November 2011
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2011

Thank you for leaving a review on tripadvisor.com.
I am disappointed to read that you haven't been entirely satisfied with your most recent stay. I am keen to understand what happened, would you be so kind to contact me directly with the room number that you stayed in. (gm@hotels-hull.co.uk) I will then investigate if you were allocated the correct room type. Our hotel has undergone a 'soft' refurb about 18 months ago. We replace all curtains, beds and mattresses. I agree with your comment about the linen. We are changing our linen supplier in the next coming weeks due to various quality issues. I hope that you will take the time to communicate with me directly and I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 13 November 2011

Stayed here again on business for one night as the hotel is so conveniently located adjacent to the station and provides a good value for money stay. On the whole enjoyed my stay much better than the first time. The rooms aren't memorable but do provide everything you need and it was all in working order and clean. Public areas are tastefully decorated and spacious. Breakfast was a much more pleasant experience on this stay, with a warm welcome and efficient, friendly service and a good range of cold and hot buffet items, with other dishes provided on request. My only gripe was the lack of welcome from the lad on reception on arrival, but that was compensated by a helpful and friendly lass on check out. Definitely worth considering if you have to say in Hull.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for leaving a review on tripadvisor.com
I am pleased to read that your second visit has been more succesfull. I have taken your feedback on board and will speak to the reception team in regards to their welcome. I would also like to inform you that we are introducing Privilege rooms for the business traveller. These will offer upgraded aminities, free news paper, bathrobe & slippers, free mineral water and snacks and free wifi. These rooms will be available per January 2012. I look forward to welcome you again in the near future and if there is anything I can do to help, please contact me directly on gm@hotels-hull.co.uk.

Reviewed 11 November 2011

The Royal has very nice public rooms. My experience of the staff has been very positive. The bedrooms are functional but no more. Cleanliness was very good. No issues with noise. All in all the Royal is a decent place and reasonably priced. I would certainly be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for leaving such a kind review on tripadvisor.com.
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are constantly working to improve our product, hence your feedback in regards to the rooms is appriciated. I hope that I can welcome you again in the near future.

A TripAdvisor Member
Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Mercure Hull Royal is always a pleasant stay, staff are friendly and courteous (although could have done with the bar opening later.) Ample car parking and easy checkout made things easier to get in and out of the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review on tripadvisor.com.
It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay. I have passed on your kind comments to my team. I hope that we will be the hotel of you choise again when you are visiting Hull. I look forward to welcome you.