“Convenient and good value”

The Royal Hotel Hull
York, United Kingdom
“Convenient and good value”
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Just stayed at this hotel on a line dancing package. Rooms are pleasant and warm, we had a proper radiator in our room and an air conditioning unit as well. The breakfast was one of the best I have ever had, crispy bacon, cooked tomatoes, not the kind that are just shown the grill, perfectly poached eggs. In fact better than a lot of top five star hotels that I have stayed in. The staff were pleasant and the location is excellent, for shopping or arriving by train. We could hear a few muffled announcements but nothing too bad. The only down side was that there were two weddings taking place and some of the guests became a little boisterous at times. The bar area and restaurant are very pleasant.

We had set menus which were adequate if not very imaginative, but if the breakfast is anything to go by I would think the a la carte menu would be very good.

Good value for money and nothing really to complain about.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rose C
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased to read that you have had an enjoyable stay in my hotel. Please accept my apologies for the behaviour of the wedding guests, we try to manage this as best possible. I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.
Luc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a work trip on the 18/19 October and was really looking forward to it. When I arrived the staff were pleasant although they had problems finding my booking I didn't have to wait long for my room. I was happy that this hotel was literally attached to the station as after a 3 hour trip from London I wanted to head straight for bed! On first impressions the room was a 6/10, I enjoyed the various different bedroom lighting but the cheap electric radiator attached to the wall was a massive let down and constant noise turning off and then on. The BIGGEST annoyance was their bathroom, the water was lukewarm, if you like your shower hot/scolding like me, I would reconsider staying here, they sent an engineer in the morning who said that was as hot as it went because they didnt want people to scold themselves, this is nonsense as even at my local gym back in London they have a safety cap on the shower so you cant accidentally make it too hot unless you intentionally choose too. Perhaps the mist unhygienic thing was that there was a pair of pale green men's boxers in the bin! yes you heard me right! Can you get any more shabby? The food was mediocre but very pricey I don't think you could buy a decent dinner for cheaper than £15-20 and it didn't taste worth that to be honest, im not usually tight when it comes to food. The breakfast was nice but it would be really hard to get a standard English wrong. Even on speaking to the cab driver when leaving the hotel, he told me that other customers had similar disappointments. The only saving grace? I didnt pay for the experience thank god!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank aneika c
Thank you for leaving a review. I am sorry to hear that your experience hasn't been satisfactory. From reading your feedback I must conclude that you stayed in the west wing of the hotel, which is the oldest part in its orginal Victorian state, e.g. the heating is electric in those rooms rather then central heated radiators. I have spoken to my housekeeping team and addressed the 'cleanliness' issue. I am dissapointed that you didn't enjoy the food as the hotel has a reputation for excellent food quality. Your overal experience is not typical to the hotel, and I must disagree with the Hull cab driver as we have a lot of extremely happy guests. I admit that during your stay we have failed to deliver our usual high standards. I hope that you will allow me to serve you in the future. I propose that you contact me directly in order for me to arrange a complementary stay including dinner. Feel free to contact me via the hotel switch board to arrange a convenient date.
I look forward to hear from you.
Regards,
Luc

Travellers are raving about these Kingston-upon-Hull hotels

Isle of Man
Reviewed 7 November 2012

As the original Royal Station Hotel this must have been a destination in itself in the 19 and 20 centuries - highlighted by occasional old photos in the hotel and glimpses of the original building and beautiful facade.

The public rooms retain this feel with a modern twist, what lets the hotel down is the "Travelodge" style makeover of the rooms - very cheap and out of character with the building, showing wear and tear. But then they are priced at budget hotel level (if you're lucky) - and at the £43 I paid, fair, but still a dissapointment once you leave the lobby.

Check in was lacklustre, once I managed to prise the receptionist from chatting up his colleague - he must have been good at it as they were out later ! Very functional welcome and basically there's your key and lifts behind you. I had to ask about wifi and breakfast etc, much to his annoyance.

The room itself was small, and only really suitable for one - generally clean - though the balcony was clearly used as an ashtray by many previous guests, furishings tired - a bedside table was broken off, toilet seat broken, and more than one visitors hairs on the bed throw.... That said think middle of range budget hotel and it's there.

I did not eat at the hotel - everything was very quiet being a Sunday night and atmostphere lacking due to that. In the afternoon a number of customers were having the afternoon tea - advertised at about £10 - looked excellent value.

Being Sunday night everything seemed quiet in Hull - even the ubiqutious Wetherspoons - there's one almost opposite, and a better one on the other side of town. Watch out thought - in the evening the station entrance is locked and you have to trudge around the hotel to the front enterance.

Check out I did early to catch a morning train - the night manager was very pleasant and process quick. I had not taken breakfast as advised started at 7am, I was leaving just before that - but noticed the restaurant was already serviing.

In summary - great location, staff quality mixed, rooms can be small and tired., Just OK if price is right and you don't let the smart lobby build your expectations up.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room - the standard small rooms are only suitable for one.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for leving a review. I appriciate your detailed constructive feedback. I have spoken to the reception team in regards to their unproffessional behaviour when you tried to check in. I take on board your comment about the room decor, we are currently reviewing where we can improve this, although we had a soft refurbishment about 2 years ago. The room sizes in my hotel vary indeed, this due to the age of the building. I hope I am able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future and as you liked the afternoon tea that we serve, please contact me directly and I will arrange for you to sample the afternoon tea delights.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Ideal location in the centre of town with free parking, free reliable internet conection, nice, clean, spacious, comfortable.

Only negatives preventing a five star review being an incredibly loud Church service taking place in one of the meeting rooms into the evening ruining any possibility of relaxing in the hotel bar. Also, a recently opened night club at the side of the property pumping out loud bass from 11pm until 2am, admittedly only noticeable occasionally when I think rear doors were opened for air or cigarette breaks but if a light sleeper I suggest you ask for rooms not on the side facing the club.

Room Tip: If a light sleeper I suggest you ask for rooms not on the side facing the recently opened night club...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 10ymg10
Thank you for leaving a review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Please accept my apologies for the noise that you heard from the church service. I am also able to inform you that I am working closely with the Hull City Council to address the noise issues from the night club. Improvements have already been made and i will continue to monitor any disruption. I hope that you will return to us in the near future.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Found a great deal for this hotel using the Mercure website.I was visiting family for a short break and wanted a central location in Hull.This hotel fits the bill perfectly .It is located right next to the station and literally a stones throw from the shops. The warm welcome on arrival set the scene for our stay.The room was modern, beds very comfortable,and spotlessly clean.The breakfast next morning was great lots of choice and nothing was too much trouble.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the station side if you don't like watching and listening to trains.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sp H
Thank you for leaving such a kind review. It is always a pleasure to read that my guests have enjoyed their stay. I hope that you will return to us in the near future. I look forward to welcome you again.
London, England
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Let's cut to the chase: this hotel is very centrally situated. In fact, it's right next to the train station and opposite the main shopping area so you could not find a better location. The rooms are comfortable and clean but slightly tired and dowdy. There's even a TV attached to the wall at a very precarious angle for good measure. However, the rates represent excellent value for such a central hotel. Abby on Reception is very friendly and welcoming and Bev in the dining room offers a cheery smile to start your day. She will also arrange poached eggs for you (even though it does not actually say that anywhere) but, in fact, breakfast is mostly self-service. There is plenty of choice and the staff, led by the lovely Bev, are, again, helpful, friendly and very accommodating.

One thing slightly puzzled me though. When I returned from a local function at about midnight, the front doors of the hotel were wide open and there was nobody on Reception. It was deserted. Had there been a mass evacuation I wondered? Anyone could have walked in as nobody asked me to show my key. Can the Mercure really afford such lax security measures on a Friday night in the middle of Hull?? I then called Reception from my room - several times over the period of about an hour - but, still, there was no reply. I even called the hotel's landline from my mobile but it seemed that everyone had gone to bed or gone out to party (judging from the noise from outside the bedroom window) and left the doors open. So, it's a bit strange that the hotel's literature states, "Room service available 24 hours - just dial 0". Sorry, love, but if you dial 0 in the dead of night at the Mercure you will most definitely go hungry. Just as well I had just had a vol-au-vent.

A shame, really, as the staff were lovely. The very sweet Abby was rather shocked when I checked out and told her of the disappearing reception staff the night before and said she would tell the Duty Manager immediately. I hope she did... before someone walks in off the street and steals a peanut.

TIP: Don't forget to visit Hull Truck Theatre to see their latest production which is invariably of an extremely high standard. The theatre is a hop, skip and a monologue away, just the other side of the train station.

SHOPPING: Have a wander around Princes Quay Shopping Centre and admire the views of the old merchants' area.

Room Tip: BEWARE: there must be a nightclub somewhere nearby as the music blared out until approx 3am so make...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for leaving a review. May I firstly apologise that it has taken a bit of time to respond to your constructive feedback. I have spoken to the nights team in regards to your comments and they admit that they have been setting up conference rooms and didn't hear the phone. Measures have been put in place to prevent the issue for re-occuring in the future. I have passed on your lovely comment about Abby. I also hope that you will use us again in the near future and if there is anything that i can help you with, please contact me directly.
Stanstead Abbotts, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2012

Very nice hotel; lovely food; affordable prices, you pay for what you get except for breakfast which I feel should be included in the price; lovely rooms; very clean. The only thing stopping this from being rated as excellent was one member of staff (a young girl with dark hair and glasses) who was a little slow and didn't look me in the eyes when I spoke to her. The rest of the staff were all very efficient, polite and friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, 7 December 2012
Thank you for leaving a review. I am pleased to read that you have had an enjoyable stay. Hopefully I am able to welcome you back in the near future.
Regards,