“Scruffy”

The Royal Hotel Hull
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Stayed here for an overnight business trip. The reception staff were polite and walking into the ground floor is quite impressive. Unfortunately, the same cant be said for the rooms. The bed covers are on their last legs and so are the towels which are threadbare. Asked for an iron at reception and they said someone would bring it up, but it never arrived.
The room was dirty. I went to open the window and happened to look down at the radiator. The dust and dirt behind it was absolutely terrible. If I can see it, they can clean it. This is months if not years of dirt. If these are the standards of cleanliness, I'm not interested in trying the food.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

Thank you for leaving a review. I am concerned that you commented on the state of the bed covers. We use an outside linen provider and any linen with issues, e.g. marks, threads etc is monitored by them. I have taken this up with my housekeeping team and the linen supplier as you rightly mention this is unacceptable. We typically have no major cleanliness issues and I pride myself on having one of the cleanest hotels in Hull. I have however put in some additional measures to address any high and low level dusting. I hope that you will return to the hotel in the near future and please contact me direclty for me to look after you arrangements.
I look forward to hear from you.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

Fab stay staff and food% stayed here 4 times now every times the rooms are good and clean nothing to much trouble for the staff .... It has a free car park unlike other hotels in centre of hull ...it's right next door to the train station and in the heart of the city centre would recommend to anyone ....

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind review. It is a pleasure to read that you have had 4 enjoyable stays with us. I trust that I am able to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

On arrival reception staff were indifferent and unwelcoming. My room was a double but the room was of a size and shape that meant you could not walk round the bed. The bed was so close to one wall that it was a side ways suffle to get into bed. The bed base was not securlely fixed and the carpet did not meet the wall and was poorly fitted. The carpet had not been vacuumed up to the skirting board and there was a dusty white edge to the carpet. The shower control knob came off in my hand. I was soaked trying to get it back on. Breakfast was poor and almost cold. Our room was quiet and there was little or no street noise. The bar staff were polite and efficient. Check out was as misserable an experience as checking in. "Hello" and "Good morning" seem to be alien words to the staff. I was so upset with the staff attitude I left without complainng at the time. When I next return to Hull I will stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Check the size and shape of your room before booking.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarasa1

Thank you for leaving a review. I am dissapointed to read that your stay didn't meet your expectations. I have addressed the various issues with the relevant departments. I would like to offer you a complimentary stay as I am keen to show you that your experience isn't typical for my hotel. I do admit that we make mistakes but the team and I use our mistake as a learning curve. I am confident that we offer great value for money and I hope that you will contact me direclty in order for me to arrange your future stay.
I look forward to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 18 November 2012

Nice hotel, good all inclusive package, food reasonable, great for an overnight or 2 night stop in Hull, fab prices.
Staff did not always seem sure of what they were supposed to do but overall friendly and caring team. Very busy when we visited (mothers day) but staff tried to please. Overall good value for money.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind review. It is nice to read that you have had an enjoyable stay in my hotel and I hope that you will return to us in the near future.

Reviewed 17 November 2012

We stayed here earlier on this year and our experience was so bad we were invited to stay on a complimentary basis how i wish we hadnt bothered The staff were informed that we were going to be there and it was so embarrasing as they either ignored us or tried so hard to please us It was really wierd that the member of staff( Rebecca) that had caused us so much upset the first
time we stayed at this hotel was inthe queue front of me at breakfast the next day as i had been told by Alison the manager that she had been sacked. T he food was again cold and inedible We werent allowed to chose from the main menu until David the duty manager had got permissission from someone else when i did chose from the main menu there was none left "coincidence" Breakfast was a shambles
No tables no food left .All in all another bad experience . imust say the room was better than the first time ,

Room Tip: dont bother
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kathersdunston

Thank you for your review. I am dissapointed to read that your experience didn't live up to the expectations. However, i have spoken to my management team whom welcomed you in the hotel. They were under the impression that your stay was enjoyable, so I am not sure where the truth lies at the moment. In regards to the staff member that you encountered whilst in the queu for breakfast, she is no longer employed by the hotel. Returning guests on a complemantary stay issued by me are typically well looked after and I am sorry to read that you got the impression that some of my staff members ignored you. I am sure that has not been deliberate and my apologies if you got that impression. I appriciate that you have shared your experience.

Reviewed 13 November 2012

Just stayed at this hotel on a line dancing package. Rooms are pleasant and warm, we had a proper radiator in our room and an air conditioning unit as well. The breakfast was one of the best I have ever had, crispy bacon, cooked tomatoes, not the kind that are just shown the grill, perfectly poached eggs. In fact better than a lot of top five star hotels that I have stayed in. The staff were pleasant and the location is excellent, for shopping or arriving by train. We could hear a few muffled announcements but nothing too bad. The only down side was that there were two weddings taking place and some of the guests became a little boisterous at times. The bar area and restaurant are very pleasant.

We had set menus which were adequate if not very imaginative, but if the breakfast is anything to go by I would think the a la carte menu would be very good.

Good value for money and nothing really to complain about.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rose C

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased to read that you have had an enjoyable stay in my hotel. Please accept my apologies for the behaviour of the wedding guests, we try to manage this as best possible. I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 9 November 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a work trip on the 18/19 October and was really looking forward to it. When I arrived the staff were pleasant although they had problems finding my booking I didn't have to wait long for my room. I was happy that this hotel was literally attached to the station as after a 3 hour trip from London I wanted to head straight for bed! On first impressions the room was a 6/10, I enjoyed the various different bedroom lighting but the cheap electric radiator attached to the wall was a massive let down and constant noise turning off and then on. The BIGGEST annoyance was their bathroom, the water was lukewarm, if you like your shower hot/scolding like me, I would reconsider staying here, they sent an engineer in the morning who said that was as hot as it went because they didnt want people to scold themselves, this is nonsense as even at my local gym back in London they have a safety cap on the shower so you cant accidentally make it too hot unless you intentionally choose too. Perhaps the mist unhygienic thing was that there was a pair of pale green men's boxers in the bin! yes you heard me right! Can you get any more shabby? The food was mediocre but very pricey I don't think you could buy a decent dinner for cheaper than £15-20 and it didn't taste worth that to be honest, im not usually tight when it comes to food. The breakfast was nice but it would be really hard to get a standard English wrong. Even on speaking to the cab driver when leaving the hotel, he told me that other customers had similar disappointments. The only saving grace? I didnt pay for the experience thank god!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank aneika c

Thank you for leaving a review. I am sorry to hear that your experience hasn't been satisfactory. From reading your feedback I must conclude that you stayed in the west wing of the hotel, which is the oldest part in its orginal Victorian state, e.g. the heating is electric in those rooms rather then central heated radiators. I have spoken to my housekeeping team and addressed the 'cleanliness' issue. I am dissapointed that you didn't enjoy the food as the hotel has a reputation for excellent food quality. Your overal experience is not typical to the hotel, and I must disagree with the Hull cab driver as we have a lot of extremely happy guests. I admit that during your stay we have failed to deliver our usual high standards. I hope that you will allow me to serve you in the future. I propose that you contact me directly in order for me to arrange a complementary stay including dinner. Feel free to contact me via the hotel switch board to arrange a convenient date.
I look forward to hear from you.