“Matched what I had read previously”

The Royal Hotel Hull
Salford Priors, United Kingdom
“Matched what I had read previously”
Reviewed 7 December 2012

Booked for a business trip in preference to the Holiday Inn Express which had worse reviews. I had a good sleep, felt comfortable and safe. It was relatively quiet .
However, my kettle did not work. The bath water was not hot at 8 am. I went for breakfast but was told I had not paid for it, I had. Breakfast places were limited because tables had not been cleared. There appeared to be three female staff but the clearing up was not a priority. I'm not sure why they were there, as only one hot drink was offered and everything else was self service, stacked on hot plates. I asked for a poached egg as it needed cooking from fresh, it arrived cooked to my liking but was swimming in plenty of its own water. such a simple rudimentary culinary task to correct, but it spoiled the meal.
This place has quite a history and considerable unrealised potential. Pity.

Room Tip: I was in 110, small but at the rear of the hotel. No traffic noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
Thank you for your review. I would like to apologies for the maintenance issues you have experienced. I have taken this up with my housekeeping and maintenance team. I have also spoken to the restaurant manager in regards to your breakfast comments. I am not sure why we managed to serve you an inferiour poached egg as I have a good skills based team in the kitchen. My team and I work hard to deover excellent customer service and I am personally dissappointed that we failed to deliver on this occassion. I do hope that you will allow us to serve you again in the near future, and if there is anything I can do to help, please contact me directly.
With kind regards,
Luc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
preston
Reviewed 7 December 2012

I'd agree that 'faded elegance' sums this hotel up quite well. As well as a spot of Fawlty Towers.

It's well soundproofed so the noise from the station doesn't wake you. It's clean and the main areas are still nice, but the rooms are basic and the concept of customer service was a bit lacking.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to read that your experience didn't match your expectations. I am worried that you mention Fawlty Towers and I hope that you find the time to provide me with some more specific feedback in order for me to address the issues that you experienced. I am confident that we deliver excellent customer service but if we failed to do so on this occassion, please accept my apologies. You can contact me direclty via the hotel switch board. I look forward to hear from you.
With kind regards,
Luc

Travellers are raving about these Kingston-upon-Hull hotels

Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2012

We had a great few days at The Mercure Royal and would certainly use this hotel again.
Although our room was on the small side, it was clean and tidy and the bed was spotless, the food was really good and the staff were very pleasant. Some of our friends who had rooms on the front of the hotel said that they had a bit of road noise, but nothing that kept them awake at night.
Walk out the back of the hotel and the train and bus stations are on your doorstep, which incidently can run rings around some of the bus and train stations we've seen.
All in all a great centrally based hotel.

Room Tip: If traffic noise is a problem to you then steer clear of rooms at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, 7 December 2012
Thank you for leaving a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. The team and I work very hard to deliver excellent quality and service and it is a pleasure to see that we have done it right during your stay. I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I never usually write reviews but do come accross them every single day at work as I am a travel advisor, I was thinking about staying at this hotel again and out of curiosity checked the reviews on here to see what others had to say. I am shocked that anyone could give this hotel a bad review! My partner and I stayed at this hotel over a weekend, it was very easy to find as there is an entrance to the hotel inside the train station. The staff were very welcoming and offered tips about the local area which was a nice personal touch. The room was fairly small but big enough for 2 adults. It is true that it is slightly difficult to get down one side of the double bed (in a double room) but for the price of the hotel and its location I personally don't see this as an issue worth ranting about. The different areas inside the hotel were all lovely, bright and well presented. The beds were comfortable and everything inside the room worked fine. We ate breakfast which was nice and we also had 1 night dinner which was exceptional, it was included in the price of our stay however I would pay to eat at the restaurant as the food was very good. The service we recieved throughout our stay was excellent as well. The problem with the majority of people these days is that they want to pay very little and recieve a lot in return! This hotel was more than adequate for what we wanted which was a nice place to stay whilst seeing the city centre and visiting friends. Would without a doubt stay here again and would also recommend this hotel to any of my customers looking to stay in hull.

Room Tip: The double room is absolutley fine do not listen to negative comments.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank steph23rach
Thank you for your kind review. It is always nice to read positive comments about the hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I have shared your review with my team and your review works as an encouragement to all the staff involved in running the hotel. Once again, thank you and I look forward to welcome you again.
Portsmouth
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Easy to find from the station as they have an entrance inside, really olde world although I found the prices for food and drink a bit pricey. Our room was a double, which we'd booked, small but enough for us, the cleaner came in every day and did a marvellous job. Would definately stay here again as the location is excellent for the high street, the old town, the museums and art gallery. We stayed from 29th November to 3rd December. The room carpet was a bit worn but all in all had a lovely stay in this really opulent hotel!

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for leaving a review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. I have informed my housekeeping team of your nice comments. I hope that I am able to welcome you again in the near future.
Reviewed 2 December 2012

Stayed at the mercure on the 1st December. After a really long journey we were met by a very friendly receptionist who gave us our room keys. My daughter and I went up to settle in to our twin room only to find it was a double. We asked for another room only to be told there was none and that there was nothing they could do as all the twin rooms had some sort of maintenance problem from the day before. Why were we not informed? And why assume that two women want to sleep in the same bed? Would they expect two males to do that? We asked for a camp bed. There was none! We asked for one of the single beds from the twin rooms to be brought to us, they couldn't do that, but we could have a complimentary drink, that was going to help lots. I asked for the manager, he/she never came but we got a single bed. It was very noisy from the Main Street and from people partying but I must say the beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for leaving a review. Please accept my apologies for the issues your experienced in regards to the room type. I trust my team have resolved the issue, although I am aware that I took a bit of time to do so. I value you honest feedback and hope that you will allow me to welcome you again in the near future. If you decide to stay with us again, please contact me directly in order for me to personally take care of your arrangements.
burnleyuk
Reviewed 1 December 2012

This was our second stay on an the all inclusive basis and being midweek was not as busy as our previous weekend break. From the check in at reception to our departure we were made to feel very welcome, all the staff Reception ,Bar, Restaurant and Room maids were very polite and friendly offering advise on where to visit and what to see. Being on "all inclusive" we were entitled to breakfast and evening meal plus soup and sandwich at lunchtime. Breakfast was buffet style with cereals, fruit, yoghurt, full cooked breakfast and eggs cooked to your liking by the chef. Evening meal was a choice of 5 starters and mains and there was also a la carte selection at an extra cost. The wine and beer from the bar was freely available and the bar staff worked extremely hard keeping our glasses filled and the lounge area clean and tidy. Will certainly return not just for the location but especially for the northern hospitality.

Room Tip: Both times we have had a room at the front of the hotel no noise and no problems.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your all-inclusive stay with us. But most of all that your enjoyed the 'northern' hospitality. I have passed on your kind comments to the team. I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.