“City centre with quiet rooms” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Royal Hotel Hull

The Royal Hotel Hull
Walmer, United Kingdom
“City centre with quiet rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

Stayed here for two nights, on a special offer. Although the booking condition included a "free gift" nobody in the hotel knew what it was. We had asked for a quiet room, which we got as far away from the lift as possible, facing an inner courtyard. The room was a reasonable size but general maintenance was lacking. The bathroom door would not close, the shower head was in such a stupid position it flooded the bathroom with no way of preventing this except turning it off. The sash window was broken and as it was a really hot weekend we had to prop up the window with coathangers, a piece of wood appeared the next morning when the room was serviced. Breakfast was poor, it looked like a canteen with most of the tables pushed together to make long tables. The "hot " food was barely warm standard fare. There were lots of staff but no tables seemed to be being cleared very quickly and food on the hot counter was not refilled, there was also a lack of bread to toast. Breakfast the second day was a little better as the coach parties were not in evidence. Reception staff were pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing inwards.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Thank you for leaving a review. I would like to apologise for confusion in regards to your 'welcome gift'. I will follow this up with my reception team. I would also like to apologise for the maintenance issues. We have now fixed all our Victorian sash windows. I am sorry to read that your breakfast experience was not satisfactory. We served more then 100 breakfast covers from tour groups which explains the long tables. I know the staff work very hard to re-set tables as soon as possible but I apologise that this didn't go quick enough on this occasion. I do hope that I am able to welcome you back in the near future and I would like to thank you for your honest feedback.
Luc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Stayed at The Mercure Royal Hotel with the Glenton bus tour I was with. It is a very clean and pleasant hotel. The staff are very welcoming, friendly and helpful. Stayed in the twin room which was really nice, the beds were really comfy only thing was our room looked onto the train station.The lobby area is very pleasant. The meal at night was a three course meal and it was delicious. It was a varied menu every night which allowed you to try new things. The good thing is that Hull train station is right next door to the train station. Despite this I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay during your Glenton holiday. The hotel has been build as 1851 as a Station hotel to service that trains into Paragon station. Hence, some of our rooms overlook the station. I hope this has not detracted to much from your experience. I hope you will visit us again in the near future.
Wakefield, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

the hotel was stunning its rms was lovley plenty of towels daily,big tv,kettle n coffee,sugar ,tea if u needed more milk just ring them they will bring more up free of charge.the other rms downstairs we looked in there was a wedding in this rm it was huge but gorgeous it was massive.the service u receive is sensational,the bar was clean n open all day,the restaurant was 1st class if it isn't busy they will serve u everything so polite if there busy apart from cooked breakfast its self service.the shower was hot too n bathroom very clean.the only thing that was bad 4 us was there air con broke they was having it fixed the wk we was there but cos the window didn't open 4 safety reasons it was very warm they did offer another rm but we was leaving the day after so we put up wiv it,it was well worth the money we paid its a 9 out of 10 4 us wud defo go bk .

Room Tip: we was on b floor rd the back so we cudnt here any traffic also make sure u get a rm with a window t...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind review. I am happy to read that your enjoyed your stay and I have shared your comments with my team. I hope that you will return to us in the near future.
With regards,
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

we loved staying here, passing through only! the reception and bar area was amazing, the staff were so happy to help. the halls lifts were some what dated but nothing bad, rooms were lovely, a little noisy with the road out side but woke us up in time for breakfast. dinner and breakfast was so nice, I loved it. would go back any time, the only shame is that this hotel is in hull!!

Room Tip: ask for room off the street
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.. I am however disappointed to read that you are not rating Hull very highly. Hull has seem massive changes over the last 15 years and there are plenty place of interest, all museums are free of charge, a lovely marina, The Deep and much more. I hope that you will come and stay with us again and if so, I will personally recommend some places to visit or even arrange a private guided tour through the Ferens Art gallery. I look forward to welcome you and show off my fabulous Hull, hopefully City of Culture 2017.
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I liked this hotel. It has plenty of character and is situated very centrally in the city.Very close to everything with all points of interest within a maximum of 20 minutes walking. At one time it was very grand, with a plaque informing that Queen Victoria and her family stayed in a suite there, but many notable visitors to Hull have also slept there since. The hotel remains most clean throughout.
Room was not huge, as you would expect of an older hotel, but it was perfectly adequate in size and satisfactory. Not newly furnished, but of standard appeal and had comfortable beds. A nice bathroom also. Room overlooked the train station behind, which retained its century old appeal and interest. Parking for those travelling by car, did appear somewhat limited outside the hotel.
Staff were all amiable, helpful and friendly as is typical of Yorks folk and so made most welcome. Had a good size restaurant and lounge with plenty of space to enjoy the comforts. Stayed for 4 nights on promotional half board package and would have been happy staying the full week. First time been to a Mercure hotel and after this stay will look out in future for more of such midweek summer offers.
The food was also good, well presented and tasty. Choice somewhat limited but sufficient to suit most. Complimentary tea and coffee was laid out in the lounge to enjoy after each evening meal, although this may not have been the general rule for everyone.
Hull is a city which has seen a considerable makeover during the past decade, and is now clearly out to attract tourist interest. Has 8 free museums which must be a tops for a city of this size. Only visited the one as weather mostly kind during our stay. It depicted the city's history and was very "kids friendly", but enjoyable for all. Harbour and marina are great for relaxing stroll to pierhead, although many visitors head straight for Hull's prime attraction, "The Deep".
Never used bar in the hotel, as went out each evening, but popular with guests who decided to remain in hotel. There are two Weatherspoons close, one at 3 minutes walk and another at 15 minutes in the old town. Would recommend the latter ," The William Wilberforce", as used to be a bank and still retains a superior appeal. Enjoy a drink in the bank managers office, with the original brass "Manager" on the door, as a guiness goes down particularly well sat in there.
So , without doubt I would fully recommend the Mercure Royal Hotel for those wishing to be central to the high street shops or enjoy Hull's visitor attractions, albeit most guests I assume were there on business for which this Mercure is equally a pleasure.
My only hiccup was that the maid service overlooked our room on the one day, but this caused only minor inconvenience compared to what was a most enjoyable stay. I well recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. I am also pleased with your positive impression of Hull. The city and the many companies that trade in Hull work very hard to change the general bad perception of Hull. I hope that you support the city in the bidding for the city of culture 2017. I also hope that I am able to welcome you again in the near future.
Luc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingston-upon-Hull
Kingston Theatre Hotel
Kingston Theatre Hotel
#1 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Premier Inn Hull City Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Hull City Centre Hot...
#2 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Ibis Hull
Ibis Hull
#5 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Holiday Inn  Express Hull City Centre
Holiday Inn Express Hull City C...
#8 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Lazaat
Lazaat
#1 of 1 in Cottingham

Been to The Royal Hotel Hull? Share your experiences!