“Visiting friend in Jack and the Beanstalk”

The Royal Hotel Hull
Reading, United Kingdom
“Visiting friend in Jack and the Beanstalk”
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We had booked a room here as a friend of ours was in panto, starring in Jack and the Beanstalk. Our suite was lovely and nice sized bathroom. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff who were very friendly and obliging. The hotel also had wifi. Although bang near the Railway Station we both slept like logs.

Breakfast was a help yourself style which was fine for my husband and me. There was plenty off fresh coffee and tea but I unfortunately found the coffee a little weak. However the hot food was varied and plenty of toast and cereals for those who preferred a continental one.

Would we visit again, I would say yes we would.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank aroperofmischief
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. I have passed your kind comments to the team. Feedback such as yours will encourage the team to work even harder in exceeding our guest's expectations.
I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.
Luc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

My boyfriend & our little girl, booked for 5 days over the Christmas period. Sam Cavell could not do enough for us, when we got there, Christine, Andy and Bob works on the bar. Christine remembered us from our previous stay, so it was like being part of a family.The Christmas meal was to die for. The chef made sure that everyone enjoyed their meal. The rooms we stayed in on the first floor, were spotless, the staff are very attentive. The famiy room we stayed in met our needs, the special touch was that, it was kitted out with Christmas decorations, which our little girl Mia loved.
I have to say we stayed here last year too for our Christmas as the beauty also about the hotel is its location, as you get off the train the hotel is just there, also is in very close proximity to St Stephen's Shopping centre. To be honest we did not have to go out to bars, as the atmosphere in the hotel bar was amazing......
You will not regret staying at the Mecure........We didn't.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 338SharonS
Thank you for your review. It is pleasing to read that you have enjoyed a memorable experience in our hotel. I have passed on your kind comment to the team involved. Once again, thank you for your kind feedback and I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.
darlington
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Stayed in hotel early Dec 13 for 2 nights. Check-in was approx 20 mins late because the hotel was full!!
Excellent location and couldnt have been closer to the train station. We had a room facing the main road which was a bit noisy but this was nothing compared to the noise from the lifts. Our room (301) backed onto the lift and as the hotel was so busy, the noise from the lift was almost constant until 2am on the first night. We asked to be moved the following morning but were told as the hotel was full there were no other room available. I wish we had gone home as the noise was even worse on the second night and we had no sleep at all. We were so exhausted we couldnt face breakfast and just opted for coffee.
The food in the hotel was excellent although the quality did suffer slightly when the kitchen was busy.
I did complain to the hotel and was offered another free night as compensation.
I would probably stay in this hotel again but it would not be during a busy period and I do not want a room near the lift!!

Room Tip: Keep away from room near lifts ie 301
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank paulinespens71
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to read that your stay was impacted by noise of the lifts. The hotel was, indeed, very busy at the time of your stay and I apologise that we couldn't accommodate a room move. I do hope that you will return to us in the near future and please contact me directly for your complimentary stay and I will personally look after your arrangements.
South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Visited the Hull Royal Hotel for 2 nights stay in December 2013. Everything about the hotel was top notch. The service from staff was great, cleanliness cannot be complained about unless you're a nit picky type of person who searches plugholes for hairs! Only thing I would suggest is a toilet brush added to the rooms, I don't know if this is a hotel wide problem but there was not in the room I stayed in.
Noise from the train station was not a problem at all considering the roof of platform 1 & 2 were directly outside the window.

Recommend to anyone visiting in the run up to city of culture 2017.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for your kind review. It is always pleasing to read positive comments about the hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.
Nottingham
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I booked a one night stay at this hotel with some trepidation, given the reviews on this site, but the price and location (and free parking) were too good to miss. Really glad I did now. I got a double room on the third floor, on the inside of the hotel. The room was large and well fitted with newish furniture and carpeting. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quickly warmed by the radiator. Room lighting, with individual bedside reading lights, was definitely above the usual hotel standard.

I understand what people have said about the plumbing - the toilet flushed noisily and the shower design required standing under cold water whilst turning the hotter water on! Other than that though, I could have no complaints about the room - a good, big TV, large bath towels, tea and coffee facilities and a quiet night's sleep.

The buffet breakfast, for £10, was also good value. Plenty of choice and helpful service. The communal areas of the hotel do look tired and in need of moderninsing, but the bar area was fine. Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel to others, based on my experience.

One futher tip - whilst checking out, a couple, also checking out, were complaining bitterly about their room. The girl on reception was polite and apologetic and organised free coffee for them both whilst they waited for the duty manager. She also suggested that if they had voiced their complaint about their room during their stay, she could have arranged a transfer or even an upgrade - you can't say much fairer than that!

Room Tip: Given its location, next to the railway station, high rooms on the front or inside of the hotel, wou...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for leaving a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Review sites such as Tripadvisor are a usefull tool when researching for a hotel, albeit the responses are just a small cross section of opinions. I am pleased that you formed your own positive opinion about our hotel and I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

We spent a Saturday night here in September. I love these old hotels, and I can forgive quite a lot for the sake of enjoying the atmosphere. The room we had was small but comfortable and the bathroom was adequate. Loved the bar area, with its bustle, and although we didn't travel by train I really like the way you can get straight from the station concourse to the hotel lobby. The staff were pleasant and helpful. Did not like the breakfast (though the large guest stuffing the pockets of her loose trousers with everything she could clearly did!) it was a buffet of undercooked or over cooked food, and the lack of any beer other than large brewery generic stuff (not for breakfast!) were the downsides. Nevertheless we will probably stay here again, the things I didn't like are easily fixable I hope

Stayed September 2013
Thank you for leaving a review. I am sorry to read that you found the hotel 'faded grandeur', the hotel team works hard to meet and exceed our guests expectations. I apologise for the fact that we only partially achieved this. I will address the breakfast issues with the Head Chef. I am, however, pleased that you found our staff to be pleasant and helpfull. I look forward to welcome you again.