“Historic Hotel”

The Royal Hotel Hull
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Very clean, staff extremely pleasant and helpful. Receptionist on until 11pm 1st March was very very helpful, it makes such a huge difference. Beautiful building with plenty of character. Free wifi, toiletries, tea/coffee etc, very clean and tidy. No noise at all. Bed not too comfortable, but that's a very personal thing. I would recommend and will return in July with family for our sons Graduation. (if the prices are not raised for this occasion)...... For history fans, our own Queen Victoria actually stayed in a suite here in 1800s!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your views on your recent visit at the Mercure Royal Hotel Hull.

We all pleased to read that you overall had a good stay and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome back in the near future.

I will distribute your comments to the whole team as they too, will be pleased to read your comments.

Thank you again for taking the time to communicate your experience via the trip advisor.

Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Spent 4 nights here from 20 February. We had a great room and had an excellent breakfast of porridge and a vegetarian omelette cooked by the breakfast chef Margaret. Abby handled the booking and processing brilliantly. In summary, we had a very relaxing and enjoyable break and will visit again .

• Stayed: February 2014

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed for 2 nights on an all inclusive break with friends. Early check in and late check out were included as part of the deal and we had free room upgrades. Room was spacious, well equipped and spotlessly clean.
We had dinner and breakfast in the hotel on both days. Breakfast was a buffet, plenty of choice and eggs were cooked to order and brought to your table. The dinners were excellent. Plenty of choice on the menu with 'daily specials'. Food was well presented and exceeded our expectations.
All the staff were friendly and helpful.
We all enjoyed our stay in Hull and would return to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 February 2014

If your looking for city center convenience maybe this hotels only plus, especially if your arriving by train or bus. Frankly check-in was slow with careless attitude. Room was the smallest I've stayed in during my 6 weeks in UK. Room located on first floor directly above the entrance, extremely noisy room. My second evening after completing 12 hour work day went like a nightmare. Food service in restaurant took over 2 hours half of which was getting served by very slow staff. Food was nothing short of average and the price was high for quantity and quality. I was told that kitchen was slow because of large function in ball room. That ball room function, on a Monday night no less, was so loud with live music I had to threaten to call police as music went on into the early hours. When function was over the attendees who stayed on the same floor as myself were extremely intoxicated. It was as loud as a sporting event in the corridor as everyone said there good nights.
My complaints to desk staff fell on deaf ears who said they were helpless in controlling situation, although did try to apologize.
Highly over rated and would not recommend, for the little extra per night there is a relatively new hotel from large chain close by. This will be my next choice when returning to Hull city.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Redrooster52

We are dissapointed to hear of your experience and please accept our apologies. I will distribute your comments to the whole team as they too, I am sure will be disapointed too. The next time you are planning to visit the area again please give me a call as I would welcome the opportunity to apologise in person and also try to make up for the inconvinience you have experience.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed for 2 nights as part of a coach party. Easy check in. Room was small with broken toilet handle, missing toiletries and soiled bedcover. Reception quickly offered replacement room with no view (not a problem) and it was ideal, slightly bigger and comfortable. Breakfasts were buffet and very good. Evening meals however were not good. Tough gammon with very under cooked veg one night and chicken so tough as to be in edible with odd tasting ratatouille the next night.
Restaurant staff efficient friendly and helpful. Would I stay here again? Probably not

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

We all pleased to read that you overall had a good stay but we are disapointed to hear that you did not enjoy the dinner.
I will distribute your comments to the whole team including the catering team as they too will be concerned on your comments.I am however certain that they will work hard on ensuring the delivery of good food and service to all our clients on a consistent basis.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Stayed here over the weekend on the all inclusive deal. Rooms were ok could probably do with updating, food was excellent. The staff were helpful and friendly. Free parking and everywhere was in walking distance, enjoyed the old town and went to a couple of museums which were free. Would definitely stay here again,

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay. I am also pleased that you enjoyed Hull as a city. I hope that you will stay with us again in the near future.
regards,
Luc

Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

My partner & I stayed here last night.
The hotel is in a great location with access directly from the train station.
The room we were allocated was clean & quiet.
The buffet breakfast was served until 11.00am on Sunday morning & was very good.
Only minus point was there was no lock on the bathroom door, however this did not spoil our stay. We mentioned this when we checked out & the staff on the reception desk thanked us for reporting it & said they would get it fixed.
We will use this hotel again if staying in Hull as it was great value for such a central location.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for leaving such a kind review. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcome you again in the near future.
regards,