“Awful experience!”

The Royal Hotel Hull
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Turned up to the hotel to find that there was no parking because of an function on at the hotel. Then only one member of staff at check in who was not able to check people in efficiently, taking over 30mins to check in. Then after this ordeal go to my room to then find that I have been given the wrong key and entered someone else's room with them in it. The cleanliness of the rooms were poor too with hairs in the bathroom and on some surfaces. The bed was below par too, not being very comfortable. Then the breakfast in the morning was not what it is advertised to be, claiming to be locally produced tasted like frozen food. Also to add to insult the staff at breakfast were rather rude too. Wished we stayed at the holiday inn down the road. I would avoid staying here in the future unless you are a fan on 1980's hotels.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your views on your recent visit at the Mercure Royal Hotel Hull.

We are dissapointed to hear of your experience and please accept our apologies. I will distribute your comments to the whole team as they too, I am sure will be disapointed.
The next time you are planning to visit the area, please contact me directly as I would welcome the opportunity to apologise in person and also try to make up for the inconvinience you have experience.
Thank you again for taking the time to communicate your experience via the trip advisor.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Good Price, Ideal loction, Staff on the whole very good. Spoiled slightly by the very rude portly woman at reception who would not retrieve our left luggage as she was 'busy' on the phone to her friend an episode which then almost resulted in us missing our train.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Very clean, staff extremely pleasant and helpful. Receptionist on until 11pm 1st March was very very helpful, it makes such a huge difference. Beautiful building with plenty of character. Free wifi, toiletries, tea/coffee etc, very clean and tidy. No noise at all. Bed not too comfortable, but that's a very personal thing. I would recommend and will return in July with family for our sons Graduation. (if the prices are not raised for this occasion)...... For history fans, our own Queen Victoria actually stayed in a suite here in 1800s!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

We all pleased to read that you overall had a good stay and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome back in the near future.

I will distribute your comments to the whole team as they too, will be pleased to read your comments.

Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Spent 4 nights here from 20 February. We had a great room and had an excellent breakfast of porridge and a vegetarian omelette cooked by the breakfast chef Margaret. Abby handled the booking and processing brilliantly. In summary, we had a very relaxing and enjoyable break and will visit again .

• Stayed: February 2014

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed for 2 nights on an all inclusive break with friends. Early check in and late check out were included as part of the deal and we had free room upgrades. Room was spacious, well equipped and spotlessly clean.
We had dinner and breakfast in the hotel on both days. Breakfast was a buffet, plenty of choice and eggs were cooked to order and brought to your table. The dinners were excellent. Plenty of choice on the menu with 'daily specials'. Food was well presented and exceeded our expectations.
All the staff were friendly and helpful.
We all enjoyed our stay in Hull and would return to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 February 2014

If your looking for city center convenience maybe this hotels only plus, especially if your arriving by train or bus. Frankly check-in was slow with careless attitude. Room was the smallest I've stayed in during my 6 weeks in UK. Room located on first floor directly above the entrance, extremely noisy room. My second evening after completing 12 hour work day went like a nightmare. Food service in restaurant took over 2 hours half of which was getting served by very slow staff. Food was nothing short of average and the price was high for quantity and quality. I was told that kitchen was slow because of large function in ball room. That ball room function, on a Monday night no less, was so loud with live music I had to threaten to call police as music went on into the early hours. When function was over the attendees who stayed on the same floor as myself were extremely intoxicated. It was as loud as a sporting event in the corridor as everyone said there good nights.
My complaints to desk staff fell on deaf ears who said they were helpless in controlling situation, although did try to apologize.
Highly over rated and would not recommend, for the little extra per night there is a relatively new hotel from large chain close by. This will be my next choice when returning to Hull city.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Redrooster52

We are dissapointed to hear of your experience and please accept our apologies. I will distribute your comments to the whole team as they too, I am sure will be disapointed too. The next time you are planning to visit the area again please give me a call as I would welcome the opportunity to apologise in person and also try to make up for the inconvinience you have experience.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed for 2 nights as part of a coach party. Easy check in. Room was small with broken toilet handle, missing toiletries and soiled bedcover. Reception quickly offered replacement room with no view (not a problem) and it was ideal, slightly bigger and comfortable. Breakfasts were buffet and very good. Evening meals however were not good. Tough gammon with very under cooked veg one night and chicken so tough as to be in edible with odd tasting ratatouille the next night.
Restaurant staff efficient friendly and helpful. Would I stay here again? Probably not

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

We all pleased to read that you overall had a good stay but we are disapointed to hear that you did not enjoy the dinner.
I will distribute your comments to the whole team including the catering team as they too will be concerned on your comments.I am however certain that they will work hard on ensuring the delivery of good food and service to all our clients on a consistent basis.