“Dated with poor service, never again” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Royal Hotel Hull

The Royal Hotel Hull
Burnham-On-Sea, United Kingdom
“Dated with poor service, never again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Arrived after 4 hour drive to find the car park full - they had an evening seminar on and the seminar guests had filled the car park. 20 minutes after arriving we were checked in, with one of the rooms we were allocated already being occupied! After the debacle of returning to reception we were given another room. Both rooms generally tired.

Went to bar for evening meal and (in fairness to the few staff around) had to wait 10 minutes to get a drink. Evening food was OK.

Breakfast was very poor, little choice of second rate food and did not feel like the locally sourced produce they say.

Also used the gym but it is hardly next door. The gym is pretty good but it is across the road from the hotel.

Definitely better places for the money.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to communicate your views on your recent visit at the Mercure Royal Hotel Hull.

We are dissapointed to hear of your experience and please accept our apologies. I will distribute your comments to the whole team as they too, I am sure will be disapointed.
The next time you are planning to visit the area, please contact me directly as I would welcome the opportunity to apologise in person and also try to make up for the inconvinience you have experience.
Thank you again for taking the time to communicate your experience via the trip advisor.

Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Turned up to the hotel to find that there was no parking because of an function on at the hotel. Then only one member of staff at check in who was not able to check people in efficiently, taking over 30mins to check in. Then after this ordeal go to my room to then find that I have been given the wrong key and entered someone else's room with them in it. The cleanliness of the rooms were poor too with hairs in the bathroom and on some surfaces. The bed was below par too, not being very comfortable. Then the breakfast in the morning was not what it is advertised to be, claiming to be locally produced tasted like frozen food. Also to add to insult the staff at breakfast were rather rude too. Wished we stayed at the holiday inn down the road. I would avoid staying here in the future unless you are a fan on 1980's hotels.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Good Price, Ideal loction, Staff on the whole very good. Spoiled slightly by the very rude portly woman at reception who would not retrieve our left luggage as she was 'busy' on the phone to her friend an episode which then almost resulted in us missing our train.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Liverpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Very clean, staff extremely pleasant and helpful. Receptionist on until 11pm 1st March was very very helpful, it makes such a huge difference. Beautiful building with plenty of character. Free wifi, toiletries, tea/coffee etc, very clean and tidy. No noise at all. Bed not too comfortable, but that's a very personal thing. I would recommend and will return in July with family for our sons Graduation. (if the prices are not raised for this occasion)...... For history fans, our own Queen Victoria actually stayed in a suite here in 1800s!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

We all pleased to read that you overall had a good stay and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome back in the near future.

I will distribute your comments to the whole team as they too, will be pleased to read your comments.

Bridlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Spent 4 nights here from 20 February. We had a great room and had an excellent breakfast of porridge and a vegetarian omelette cooked by the breakfast chef Margaret. Abby handled the booking and processing brilliantly. In summary, we had a very relaxing and enjoyable break and will visit again .

• Stayed February 2014

Bradford, West Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed for 2 nights on an all inclusive break with friends. Early check in and late check out were included as part of the deal and we had free room upgrades. Room was spacious, well equipped and spotlessly clean.
We had dinner and breakfast in the hotel on both days. Breakfast was a buffet, plenty of choice and eggs were cooked to order and brought to your table. The dinners were excellent. Plenty of choice on the menu with 'daily specials'. Food was well presented and exceeded our expectations.
All the staff were friendly and helpful.
We all enjoyed our stay in Hull and would return to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Qualicum Beach
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

If your looking for city center convenience maybe this hotels only plus, especially if your arriving by train or bus. Frankly check-in was slow with careless attitude. Room was the smallest I've stayed in during my 6 weeks in UK. Room located on first floor directly above the entrance, extremely noisy room. My second evening after completing 12 hour work day went like a nightmare. Food service in restaurant took over 2 hours half of which was getting served by very slow staff. Food was nothing short of average and the price was high for quantity and quality. I was told that kitchen was slow because of large function in ball room. That ball room function, on a Monday night no less, was so loud with live music I had to threaten to call police as music went on into the early hours. When function was over the attendees who stayed on the same floor as myself were extremely intoxicated. It was as loud as a sporting event in the corridor as everyone said there good nights.
My complaints to desk staff fell on deaf ears who said they were helpless in controlling situation, although did try to apologize.
Highly over rated and would not recommend, for the little extra per night there is a relatively new hotel from large chain close by. This will be my next choice when returning to Hull city.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Redrooster52

We are dissapointed to hear of your experience and please accept our apologies. I will distribute your comments to the whole team as they too, I am sure will be disapointed too. The next time you are planning to visit the area again please give me a call as I would welcome the opportunity to apologise in person and also try to make up for the inconvinience you have experience.

Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingston-upon-Hull
Kingston Theatre Hotel
Kingston Theatre Hotel
#1 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Premier Inn Hull City Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Hull City Centre Hot...
#2 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Ibis Hull
Ibis Hull
#5 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Holiday Inn  Express Hull City Centre
Holiday Inn Express Hull City C...
#8 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Lazaat
Lazaat
#1 of 1 in Cottingham

Been to The Royal Hotel Hull? Share your experiences!