“EXCELLENT STAY”

The Royal Hotel Hull
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Kingston-upon-Hull
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Telephoned for Reservation and Abbie (many thanks) arranged a last minute booking. Great location, and wonderful building. Good sized room with large comfy bed, all immaculately clean. Nice coffee machine in room. Superb full buffet style english breakfast, with options for inclusive Kippers, Smoked Haddock and Eggs Benedict. Brilliant! Would definitely return and highly recommed.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your views on your recent visit at the Mercure Royal Hotel Hull.

We all pleased to read that you overall had a good stay and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome back in the near future.

I will distribute your comments to the whole team as they too, will be pleased to read your comments.

Thank you again for taking the time to communicate your experience via the trip advisor.

Regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,376)

Reviewed 7 March 2014

I was delivering a course in Hull and this hotel is conveniently near the railway station as I had travelled there by train. The hotel is comfortable and has all you need. It is a Victorian or Edwardian vintage building but reasonably maintained. Food was good and not too expensive. The staff were very helpful and polite.

Room Tip: The hotel is near/in the station but is very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 7 March 2014

My partner and I spent a 2 night break February 12th. Arrived early by train receptionist very helpful left our luggage went into the city centre. On our return room was ready check in hassle free. The hotel is very clean, lovely old building with plenty of character. The room was more than adequate. Buffet style breakfast with everything you could want. All the staff extremely pleasant and helpful. We enjoyed Hull particularly the old town some great character pubs and bars. Looking to a return visit later in the year.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Arrived by train and checked in early. Woman at reception was really helpful and sympathetic. I was visiting Hull with my 91 year old mother to attend a funeral. Thanks to an early check in we were able to leave bags and freshen up before we went. Room was clean, well furnished with toiletries and great towels. Breakfast next day was buffet service with everything you could possibly want. Amazing value for the price we paid. Historic building with great local connections. Met my mother's old friends in the bar in the evening - very comfortable and civilized.

Room Tip: We asked for and got a room with grab rails in the bathroom for my mother who is frail, she was so p...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Arrived after 4 hour drive to find the car park full - they had an evening seminar on and the seminar guests had filled the car park. 20 minutes after arriving we were checked in, with one of the rooms we were allocated already being occupied! After the debacle of returning to reception we were given another room. Both rooms generally tired.

Went to bar for evening meal and (in fairness to the few staff around) had to wait 10 minutes to get a drink. Evening food was OK.

Breakfast was very poor, little choice of second rate food and did not feel like the locally sourced produce they say.

Also used the gym but it is hardly next door. The gym is pretty good but it is across the road from the hotel.

Definitely better places for the money.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

We are dissapointed to hear of your experience and please accept our apologies. I will distribute your comments to the whole team as they too, I am sure will be disapointed.
The next time you are planning to visit the area, please contact me directly as I would welcome the opportunity to apologise in person and also try to make up for the inconvinience you have experience.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Turned up to the hotel to find that there was no parking because of an function on at the hotel. Then only one member of staff at check in who was not able to check people in efficiently, taking over 30mins to check in. Then after this ordeal go to my room to then find that I have been given the wrong key and entered someone else's room with them in it. The cleanliness of the rooms were poor too with hairs in the bathroom and on some surfaces. The bed was below par too, not being very comfortable. Then the breakfast in the morning was not what it is advertised to be, claiming to be locally produced tasted like frozen food. Also to add to insult the staff at breakfast were rather rude too. Wished we stayed at the holiday inn down the road. I would avoid staying here in the future unless you are a fan on 1980's hotels.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 March 2014

Good Price, Ideal loction, Staff on the whole very good. Spoiled slightly by the very rude portly woman at reception who would not retrieve our left luggage as she was 'busy' on the phone to her friend an episode which then almost resulted in us missing our train.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends