“Amazing food, great value for money”

The Royal Hotel Hull
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Very comfy room, lots of nice extras in the room, grand hotel entrance. There is limited parking, and the football was on when we arrived so we had to park @ St Stephens. We were attending a wedding and the food was absolutely fantastic, incredibly generous portions and really tasty - my vegetarian option was enormous and different for a change.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your views on your recent visit at the Mercure Royal Hotel Hull.

We all pleased to read that you had a good memorable stay and I am glad to see that the wedding was a sucess.

I will distribute your comments to the catering team as they too will be pleased to read your comments.

There are newer reviews for The Royal Hotel Hull

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I have been to this hotel on numerous occassions mainly for events at the hotel ie valentines meal and a birthday party and I found the staff very friendly and welcoming couldnt do enough for you.The resturant was excellent the food was fantastic good value for money the service in the resturant was second to none and would highly recomend anyone to try this hotel its fantastic

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank fridg

We all pleased to read that your visit was good and is nice to see that the hotel is appreciated by the local communicty and other travelers.

I will distribute your comments to the catering team and the Head Chef will be pleased to read your comments.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Very conveniently situated beside the railway station in the centre of the town. An old hotel but has been pleasantly modernised and should be an example to other old hotels as to what can be achieved. We attended a wedding celebration and I would recommend it to others planning such events. Our room was adequate, very clean, warm and comfortable. Most of the staff were friendly and efficient except for the receptionist who was more interested in flirting with a colleague than dealing with our booking.
The breakfast was a bit of a let down. The room was small and uncomfortable. On my 1st visit to the buffet the bacon had run out so I waited 10 minutes. When it arrived the sausages had run out so another 10 minutes wait. I ordered a fried egg but it hasn't arrived yet. It was difficult to get the waiter to bring the coffee. I paid an extra £24 for the 2 breakfasts and I wished I hadn't bothered. A pity because otherwise this is a very good establishment.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Geronimo92

We all pleased to read that you overall had a good stay and I am glad to see that the wedding was a sucess.

It is disapointing to read your comments relating the breakfast and I assure you that we will work in the area to deliver all our clients on a consistent basis, good service, food and quality.

Thank you again for taking the time to communicate your experience via the trip advisor.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel 14th - 16th March 2014. I was given single occupancy of a double, en-suite, room. First impressions were favourable, the room was well made up with a nice, comfortable double bed, TV, hospitality tray, etc. The room and the bathroom were spotlessly clean (I met the housemaid later, she didn't speak English but she smiled a lot when I told her she had done a great job). Although directly over Hull Paragon Station, the hotel was nice and quiet and I enjoyed two good nights sleep. The resteraunt is a bit on the small side which results in some quueing for breakfast but at dinner it's fine. The food is excellent and the staff are pleasant and obliging. Queen Victoria and her family stayed at the Royal which, is an indication of its age, but it has obviouslty had make-overs down the years and all the public rooms are spacious and smart. By the standards of most hotels, the bar prices are reasonable.
I was at the Royal for a conference and the hotel met the needs of my colleagues and I in every respect. I would happilly stay here if I was visiting Hull for any other reason.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor at the front are the best.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank rafaman

We all pleased to read that you overall had a good stay and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome back in the near future.

I will distribute your comments to the whole team as they too, will be pleased to read your comments.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We've just come back from a 2-night stay in this excellent hotel; reception, friendliness, helpfulness, meals and general ambience were all had anticipated. The bedroom was a little small but the bed was very comfortable and the TV and Wi-fi reception were good. As we were 'looking up the ancestors' in Hull we found the hotel to be ideally placed for all our research, especially as we arrived by train - as did Queen Victoria when she stayed at the hotel in 1854. Luc, I think Mary Ivatts and Emma and Henry Jordan would be pleased with the way things are going. Please thank all your staff for their kindness and helpfulness. We'll definitely stay with you again if we return to Hull.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

We wanted a base for the East Riding of Yorkshire and this seemed to be very good value we took a 2 night deal with breakfast both days and dinner on the first evening. the meal we had was good, and the breakfast really nice ,they even managed to find me some Gluten free bread to toast although crusts on the second day. We had breakfast around 8.45am on the second day and all that was left for my partner was some dryish sliced bread, the rolls and other breads were not replenished, perhaps we should have asked.
There were a few problems during our on the second night of our visit ; the TV signal was lost to most of Hull, the internet service failed and we could not run a Hot Bath, we were offered an alternative room but decided to stay where we were as this was our second night. the following morning we could have a hot bath but not a shower, a faulty mixer unit!

Having said that we had an excellent stay an our small drinks bill was taken off our bill by way of compensation. We would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: Our room was a little small.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Is a shame the issue with the TV signal, faulty mixer and loss of electronic signals caused you some inconvinience. Please contact us directly when you planning to visit the area next as I would welcome the opportunity to apologise in person and welcome you at the hotel.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com