“Nice but room size....”

The Royal Hotel Hull
“Nice but room size....”
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

I made a reservation in the hotel 4 months before our stay for a surprise for my wife's birthday, At the time of making I asked the receptionist for a executive room which are larger rooms, She said she will book one of the larger room in the hotel on the first floor, When we arrived at the hotel on the day we were on the second floor in a rather small room, Which I was not pleased with, It was a old hotel but very and clean, the food was really nice The staff were very pleasant, Apart from the room size I could not fault the hotel, I would give the hotel 5 stars but the room size annoyed me because I booked it 4 months in advance only 3 stars from me

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cityull
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for your review.

I was so dissapointed to read of the mistake we made with your reservation. I can see you really liked our hotel and that the team looked after you so well - it is such a shame that we did not take enough care when handling your reservation and therefore failed to meet your expectations - please accept my appologies.

Kind regards

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Warrington
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We booked the hotel through a hotel voucher scheme and as a condition had to eat breakfast and evening meal in the hotel. We were not disappointed as the food was very good and staff were very pleasant and helpful. As others have said the hotel is a station hotel and dated but that's all part of the charm and character of the place. We stayed for two nights and the room was comfortable and clean, only slight downside was the strange shower.
Hotel is ideally situated for local attractions and shopping, also there's a cinema in the shopping centre next door. Free parking too! Never been to Hull before but and we were pleasantly surprised, it should do well as capital of culture

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank traveller0065
Thank you for your review.

Hull is a vibrant, proud and unique city, I am pleased you were impressed by your time here.

It gives me even more pleasure to know you found our food very good and the team friendly and helpful.

makem on hols
Reviewed 28 April 2014

we stayed for the weekend 26/04/2014-28/04/2014, it is a nice clean hotel, staff very friendly and helpful, air con in the room with tea and coffee facilities and plenty of TV stations to choose from. It is a bit dated but when you read up on the history of the hotel you can see why it has not been made to look modern, it is part of its character.
We asked for a upper floor,quiet,non smoking room which we got and were happy with it.
the hotel is very central for all amenities.
The price was a bit steep for the stay but we did enjoy it.

Room Tip: as someone said before which we took the advice, ask for a upper floor quiet room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review.

I was very pleased you found the hotel nice and clean and the team here friendly and helpful.

The history of the hotel is very fascinating (I am new here and learning lots of new things every day). Our maintenance manager John together with his team are working hard to ensure the impression the hotel gives is fresh and vibrant rather than dated and I am hopeful when you next visit you will be impressed with the progress we have made.

Barry SWales
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Built either as part of or right next to the train station, this hotel must have been the best in Hull, once!. A little dated but clean and with helpful staff.
I guess that the building must be listed which would explain why (even around the back where they cant be seen) the building still has sash windows. This meant that up until midnight and from 6am there was a continuous 'Ding dong! The next train on platform......'
I did quite enjoy staying there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank bigphil1
Dear Phil,

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed staying here, our aim is indeed to be the best hotel in the city and I am sorry you did not find us to be so. We have a brilliant and interesting history with a fascinating locatio and interesting features including sash windows - you should however not be disturbed by the station noise and we are working hard to ensure all 155 rooms are quite and peaceful.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This hotel is a decent value for money 3 star hotel. Accommodation is very acceptable if a little dated. All lights and appliances worked in my room during my one night stay.
The staff were all very friendly and willing to assist with any queries or local advice needed.
Restaurant food in the evening was very good indeed, a short and simple menu cooked very well.
All in all a good hotel offering decent value for money.

Room Tip: I only stayed in room 140 and it was fine!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Derek,

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased that you found the team to be friendly and willing and the food to be very good.

It is dissapointing that you found the hotel dated, myself and the team will be working hard to ensure that future guests form an impression of a vibrant historic hotel.

I hope you stay with us when you next visit the city.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We arrived with friends for new years eve,warm welcome clean rooms helpful staff.
Upon returning from our meal out we were welcomed to join in the celebrations for
Lowing the dinner dance disco and count down everyone really friendly and sociable. Drinks reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Breakfast was fabulous great choice unlimited seconds
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
royalhotelmanager, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Lynne,

Thank you for your generous review.

I was pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope next year you will join us for our celebrations - we are starting the evening with a glass of bubbly and our piper is piping everyone through to dinner. It promises to be a brilliant night.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Well it's an interesting place. Like the look of the old building, but it could do with a revamp. Some of the window don't close properly, which creates a bit of a draft. I think they have really tried to fit a double bed in a very small room, which created a closed in feeling for me. Not the worse room I've stayed in. Free wifi. If they gave a free breakfast and other places were full. Then I would consider. It's right next to the station which is great.

Stayed February 2014
Thank you for your review.

I was dissapointed to read that you had difficulty closing your window and that you found the room too small. There are many advantages when staying in a historic hotel and one of the differences with the standardised new build properties is the large variety of room types and sizes, it is essential that we communicate effectivelywith all our guests so their expectations match what they receive. Clearly we did not achieve this and for that I apoloigise.

I would be very grateful if you could drop me a quick email detailing the room you stayed in, this will allow me to ensure the window has been fixed and that the room is described accurately - my email address is gm@hotels-hull.co.uk .

Again thank you for taking the time to let me know know about your stay, I hope you do choose to stay with us again - if you do I will happily buy you breakfast!

David

Travellers are raving about these Kingston-upon-Hull hotels