“breakfast no co-ordination”

The Royal Hotel Hull
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This is a good location Hotel, Rooms are comfortable but not plush in anyway, its at best a high end 3 star, when we stayed there was no air con working in the rooms, Hull is not normally warm
so not a general problem.
The breakfast was a sight to behold, none of the buffet food came out together, so people were
waiting for eggs, then bacon, then toast ( No bread ) Then no beans at no stage did they have a full buffet so you could have your breakfast..

No structure, No control in the kitchen, great fun watching though

Room Tip: Almost on the train lines, so close your windows if the air con is working, ask for front rooms only
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
David C, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Thank you for your review.

I was sorry to read that breakfast was rather un-coordinated, I'm unsure if there was a particular issue affecting oour service that morning but I am pleased you didn't let shortcomings affect your experince.

Many thanks

Reviewed 20 July 2014

The Mercure brand conjures up many different pictures for travellers, but this one is a cracker. The old station hotel is a little oasis in the centre of the town which retains real connections to its history and maintains a lovely old-world feel. The decor is well looked after and the lounge space in the bar is really excellent. I love the way that you can access both the station concourse and the city centre from either end of the reception area.

The staff are friendly, the food and drink are reasonably priced and the room that we had was clean and well presented. The bed was very comfortable. My only two complaints would be that there was no air-conditioning in the room, which was significant during our visit as the temperature exceeded 26 Degrees Centigrade (Celcius) 79 Degrees Fahrenheit, and the buffet breakfast was low on choice.

Apart from that, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wanted to be in the centre of Hull and to be able to escape back to a little oasis of calm and tranquility quickly. It is literally in the centre of the town.

Room Tip: Top Floor on the side of the hotel gave a good balance of noise, the rooms at the front tended to pi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Phil S

Dear Phil,

Thank you for your review.

I agree the Mercure Royal Hotel is geographically, historically and culturally at the heart of the city. Our public areas are superb and great judgement was used in our refurbishment to create a space which celebrates the history of the hotel whilst providing a vibrant modern feel.

Both yourself and the previous reviewer suggest our breakfast has room for improvement we have listened to this and have team working towardsimplementing an improved breakfast offering.

Best wishes

Reviewed 19 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Jane B

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We booked one night at the hotel for our daughters graduation and judging by the noise levels from other rooms (paper thin walls) and the constant platform announcements I think I would have been better to sleep in the car. In fairness the rooms were clean enough

Stayed: July 2014
David C, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Jim,

Thank you for your review.

I was concerned to read that you found the room noisy and would be grateful if you could drop me a short email with either the number of the room you stayed in or the dates and your surname so I can investigate and take the neccesary measures to ensure future guests are not disturbed- gm@hotels-hull.co.uk

Many thanks

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel is impressive when you drive up - old (in a good way), full of character, close to train station and city centre and excellent free parking right outside.

Staff were great, check in very easy, rooms basic but clean and comfortable, the bed was very soft and comfy.

Good selection of tea and coffee, plus there was a hairdryer!!!

Only downside was that the room had only a small window that let in a minimal amount of air, and because we stayed on a warm night, this made sleeping very uncomfortable!!

Also, the wifi was a little temperamental (though it was at least free!!!!)

Given that we paid only £44 off this room I was very impressed and would deffo stay again!!

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read you had an enjoyable stay.

We have good quality WiFi throughout the hotel and we are one of the only hotels in the city to offer this free of charge. I am pleased to report that we are having a survey conducted next week to ensure that we are offering excellent connection and speed in all areas on the hotel.

Best wishes

Reviewed 13 July 2014

On arrival check in quick & efficient & was told we had been upgraded to a room with a lounge
which was very much appreciated, as other family members in our party rooms were on the small side, room was very warm overnight even with window open, a certain amount of noise but this is a city center hotel on a Saturday night. Shower very good if you have mobility problems some rooms a long way from lift. Staff very friendly over all a good stay

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris F
David C, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Chris

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay

regards

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed one night in room 312. It was a really bad experience. They charged me full rate and when asked for a discount the staff was rude and was not even empathetic. AC didn't work the whole night. The phone was broken and the man came to repair couldn't fix either of them. Flush doesn't work. Couldn't turn off the tap after a shower. One Lift was broken. Very noisy hotel. Unfortunately my first and last trip to the hotel. It was recommended by a very senior figure in the Hull city but I was very disappointed .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ArulnathanS

Thank you for your review.

I was very dissapointed to read that you experienced a number of problems in your room and that we failed to resolve them. We have a good reputation and I was pleased that you were recommended to stay with ourselves, clearly during your stay we got things wrong. Please contact me directly and let me know when you are next due to visit Hull as I would like to make a gesture to help restore your faith in our hotel - my email address is gm@hotels-hull.co.uk

Regards