“lovely hotel, dont eat there tho”

The Royal Hotel Hull
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
“lovely hotel, dont eat there tho”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

stayed again here, much better rooms then last time, staff lovely, couldnt fault it, its a credit to hull and all the staff that work there.
just one problem, i witnessed the staff in dinning area taking unused bread rolls off the tables and putting them back in the basket to serve to other people, # recycle

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
David C, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Thanks for your review.

I was pleased you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

I was very concerned to read that members of our team were removing bread rolls and planning to re-serve them. It is not something I have witnessed and we have made it very clear to the team that this must not happen.

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Spent two nights here recently. Firstly the positives: The bed was very comfortable, and the room was quiet, in spite of facing the main road, however, the room itself was quite small. The buffet breakfast was one of the very best I have ever tasted, with a selection of fresh and tinned fruit, yogurts, etc., plus the usual fare for a full English, with everything cooked superbly, and not dried up and exposed under a heat lamp as is often the case with hotels, and the waitress asked whether we wanted anything special, such as the Eggs Benedict, which my husband had, that was presented beautifully, and looked delicious, indeed I complimented the waitress on the service. However, my grumble was the temperature in the room was either too hot or too cold, and turning the control on the radiator did not make a scrap of difference. We did mention this at reception, and a fan was provided, but this did not cure the problem, as the radiator was too hot to touch, and continued to chuck out heat! My other grouse was the shower, an archaic apparatus that was permanently in the fixed position. To operate, one had to turn an extremely stiff tap in the middle of the hot and cold bath taps, when you were either scalded or doused with cold water. Needless to say, I gave up with the shower and ran a bath, which was fine until I decided to add more hot water, when the shower suddenly came back to life and soaked my hair with icy cold water, not a pleasant experience!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aissiegirl
Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed breakfast and had such a good sleep.

We are wokring round our showers to ensure they are all working well and having read your review will be doing the same with our radiators.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Visiting hull for the night for a family party and got a special offer on 3 double rooms.
Hotel foyer and reception is really lovely but the toilets on the ground floor smell damp and are very tired with taps missing etc.
My room was clean but had a fusty smell and was really dark. I left the window open to freshen it up.
The shower was awful, really old fixed to the wall and extremely hot. I couldn't seem to regulate it at all.
The bed for the night was really nice and I slept like a log.
I didn't eat in the hotel so cannot comment on the food.
All in all the hotel is ok for a flying visit and value for money if you get it as cheap as we did but is very tired and needs a facelift beyond the foyer. It's past it's best.

It's a great location for the station(next door) and access to the city centre.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank lucydvs
Dear Lucy,

Thank you for your review.

You are right our public toilets need refurbishment and this is planned for October. We have great beds in all our rooms and I was pleased to read that you had such a good sleep, I am however sorry you had difficulty with your shower and we are working through our showers to ensure they are all checked to ensure they are all working correctly.

Kind regards

Hull
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

I had the misfortune of booking this hotel to stay at on 16th August. The hotel is adequate, if a little dated and in need of a refresh, however it was badly let down by the customer service.
The staff were polite at checkin and no issues. Once in the room we noticed that the toilet was not filling and was constantly dripping. As well as making it unable to flush properly the dripping noise was loa enough to be clearly heard in the bedroom even with the doors closed. On heading out I notified the staff who said it would be fixed before we came back.
It was not fixed and returning late we had the same issue and that intensely annoying dropping noise making sleep impossible. I call to reception and we were told it would be fixed. A knock at the door ten minutes later and at 11pm we were told to move rooms and they wouldn't try and fix it. After packing everything up (que very grumpy wife) we went to the new room (309) with staff to find it already occupied. More than a little embarrassing. Back to original room and a very annoying restless night.
The bill was reduced but a promised meeting with head of operations in the morning never happened and was glossed over. I will not be returning.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Db9234
Thank you for your review.

I was sorry to read that you had a number of issues in your room, we have increased the number of people in our maintenance team and we ar working to ensure there is a marked improvement in this area.

I was pleased to read that we reduced your bill to take account of these problems, our operations manager was available and looking forward to meeting you, I am unsure of why you were unable to meet with him.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Dropped in to relax in their lounge for half an hour prior to taking a train.
Surprisingly comfortable and relaxing atmosphere. Feels upmarket - perhaps needs just a little panache here and there. Staff were very attentive & friendly and the beer |I ordered had been kept well. I shall visit again and maybe also sample the menu.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank SimplyFred
David C, General Manager at The Royal Hotel Hull, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Fred

I'm glad you visited our hotel and enjoyed your time here.

Many thanks

Irvine, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I had the mis-fortune to stay at the Royal, thankfully it was only for one night. The bedroom was cramped and, my pet hate, there was no iron or ironing board within the room. After a long day, I went down to the restaurant for dinner. To be honest, the food was not too bad but over priced - £18 for a small pate starter then fish & chips.
Then the fun started. When I went back to my room I saw an "out of order" notice on the air conditioning control. I thought no more of it until I went to my bed. The air con unit ran at full speed for the duration of the night. There was no power switch to turn it off. The dreadful noise kept me awake for the whole night!!
After being up all night, I was one of the first down to breakfast at 6.30am. I sat at a table for a full 15 mins, awaiting a member of staff to ask if I wanted tea or coffee. Needless to say, this never happened. I went up to help myself to the buffet breakfast, hoping for scrambled eggs & toast. I put two slice of bread in the rotating toaster, waited around 5 mins for it to shuffle it's way through but the toaster was not working. Cold bread was returned.
When I checked out, I pointed my issues out to the receptionist who looked dazed and slightly confused as to what she could say. She hurried my payment through the system, offered some sort of apology and sent me on my way.
I stay overnight in hotels throughout the UK around 40 nights per year.
THIS WAS THE WORST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!!
I can only advise others thinking of staying at the Royal to think again. There are many hotels in Hull that will offer far better facilities for a better price.
NEVER AGAIN!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Stuart,

I was very dissapointed to read your review and I have replied directly to you.

Please do contact me my email address is gm@hotels-hull.co.uk