“Amazing ...and very humbling.”
Review of Arctic Corsair

Arctic Corsair
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Come aboard Hull's last sidewinder trawler the Arctic Corsair and let the crew take you on a guided tour (access is limited). You'll hear all about life at sea and the dangers deep sea trawlermen faced in the Icelandic fishing grounds. Our free guided tours are the only way to see inside the Arctic Corsair (please note restricted opening times on right). Before each tour starts you can watch a short 10 minute action film - Life at Sea - in the Arctic Corsair visitor centre (next to the Hull and East Riding Museum). You can also find out more about the Arctic Corsair at the museum, which is free to enter and you do not need to book.
Reviewed 2 September 2013

On a nostalgic visit to my home town, of Hull, up from the South, I was, again pleasantly surprised with what this often maligned city has to offer - and most of it free. The Arctic Corsair is a trawler from the 1960s, and is a moving testimony to the brave men who sailed her in icy seas in harsh and dangerous conditions. They had to buy their own equipment, and their pay depended on the size of the catch and prices of fish on returning to port.
Volunteers guide the tour and are well informed and entertaining. I felt slightly ashamed that I knew so little about the heart of Hull in the 60s, when I was growing up in a comfy home in the suburbs and being educated at the posh convent in the city.
Don't miss this! Not open every day though so check first.

8  Thank trescomania

Reviewed 28 August 2013

This is something not to miss!
Check when its open as its a summer only , and only a couple of days a week.
Its FREE!
Volunteer guide, with stories to tell. they suggested allowing just over an hour but it was 2 before we were away.
Any questions the guide couldn't answer he went and found them at the end.
Equipment, living conditions, engines, storage. so many things to see and learn.

4  Thank Rachelk65
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

We happened to be in Hull on a Saturday afternoon and walked up the River Hull from the marina. We hadn't visited before, despite having lived in the area for a number of years previously. We saw that the tours were running and that they were free. We had an hour or so to spare so we went into the Hull & ER Museum reception to book on. We had a look round the Arctic Corsair exhibition in the building next door then Jim gave us an introductory talk and showed us a 10-minute film about the trawlers. Then we went down to the boat with Alf. All the guides and volunteers are ex-trawlermen and they really do make history come to life with their stories of life on board boats like this. The tour lasted just over an hour and takes in pretty much everywhere on board. Alf was a great guide and a brilliant storyteller. If you have any interest in the history of Hull then I'd urge you to visit the Arctic Corsair. You'll be glad you did!

5  Thank sthmcr
Reviewed 22 August 2013

This is a rare gem of an attraction.
It's the last Side-Winding Trawler left of the Hull Fleet and has been preserved, along with a charming on-shore museum, to give us a flavour of what the brave fishermen went through to get us our fish: sadly at the extreme cost of their lives.

3  Thank Robin C
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I took my daughter on this trawler to show her what life is like on a fishing trawler. Her grandad is currently working away fishing and she's always wondered what it is like. (My partner thinks her grandad actually worked on the corsair in the early 1980s as I later found out).

2  Thank TraceyHumphrey