“Fabulous food!”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating
“Fabulous food!”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We have had a takeaway from here before but this is the first time I have eaten in. As a previous review said don't judge a book by its cover! We had a great night with fantastic friends and fabulous food. Would highly recommend a visit :)
They don't serve alcohol but do allow you to take your own with you and don't charge corkage!

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Icecream H

“Don't judge a book.....”
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

I was introduced to this restaurant by my daughter who has been many times and I must admit I was a little apprehensive looking at the outside. To be honest the inside decor isn't the best but the food was delicious and excellent value. My advice - ignore the outside and go in and enjoy the food!

• Visited July 2013
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Cant remember my visit, but can recommend the takeaways!”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I have eaten here once, but regrettably cant actually remember as I had been out with friends, HOWEVER - if you like traditionally made Indian food (im a scholar of curries!) so the packet stuff which is used in many 'posh' Indian restaurants wont get past me!

The staff on the phone are always very helpful and the food - especially the stuffed paratha and dhall are delish, im not sure but i think I am their only Phall ordering customer - go on give it a try!! (sweat sweat yum yum!!)

• Visited July 2013
East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Complaint about bad meal led to shouting/abuse by staff”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We have been to the Raj Puri many times, usually in groups of 4-12 and always had a good meal with good service and at a good price.

However, last night was a totally different experience and we will never go again. Having telephoned the booking and explained one of the party would be wanting a steak, we went as a party of 11, with 10 of us having the set menu. The set menu was fine, it is very good value and we have no complaints with the food ... though the service was extremely slow - it took over 30 minutes just for the poppadoms to arrive and each course was a long time coming. Other than our party, there was just two other people there.

My 78 year old dad has had steak there before and really enjoyed it. However on this occasion, the steak was cooked very rare (he'd ordered well done) and the steak was very fatty/gristley. The steak was replaced, but the replacement steak was even worse and he couldn't eat it because of all the fat/gristle. This was reported to the waiter but nothing was done on this occasion.

When asking for the bill, we politely asked for the inedible steak to be taken into account, and were quite annoyed to see just a 10% reduction was made on the steak (not on the whole bill). We explained that we had no complaint with any of the other meals, just the steak and felt that a deduction of 10% was inappropriate.

The response to this polite request was appalling in terms of customer service, with them shouting at us, being rude and telling us never to come back. Considering we had a genuine complaint, and focused only on the bad steak, this was very unfair.

A gentleman I think is the owner/chef came out and said he doesn't like unhappy customers, but because of the noise of his employees I couldn't pick up any more than that.

As it was clear the situation was not going to be resolved amicably, we ended up paying the bill in full. What should have been a pleasant family meal was ruined and we also felt embarrassed as our son's girlfriend and my niece's boyfriend were with us.

Despite having many good meals there, we will not be going back and we will definitely not recommend this restaurant to anyone.

A message to the staff at Raj Puri: we have eaten there many times but are so disappointed with you - when there is a genuine problem with a meal it should be sorted amicably, not by being rude and shouting at the customers.

• Visited April 2012
4 Thank tateypan
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food, service and atmoshphere and really great value too!”
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Great restaurant, food is always really nice and the staff are lovely. Done be put off by the basic interior, you will not be disappointed!
We eat here all the time at least 2 - 3 times a month and also get delivery takeaway, and it is always excellent.
highly recomended!