“Stayed a few times on Business, not value for money”

Holiday Inn Hull Marina
Scotland, United Kingdom
“Stayed a few times on Business, not value for money”
Reviewed 8 January 2012

This is an over priced Hotel. It is clean, the staff are awesome but it really is not worth the money.

I had to stay one night at the Holiday Inn Express for one night as I made a mistake with my booking and had free wi-fi and a good room for half the price. Moving down to the Marina the room was better, but not worth the cost the wi fi was charged for.

The breakfast was very good

I will not be staying there again as the rates are to high and charging wi fi is adding insult to injury.

Room Tip: Ask for a Marina facing room. Nice view
1 Thank cranjee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Chesterfield
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel over Christmas 2011 and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff were friendly and accomodating, we were able to check in early, departure does not need to be before 12.00. The car park is large and free. The hotel sits in a perfect location on the marina and 5 minutes into Hull. I would recommend this hotel and Hull is a nice city to visit.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank adesam
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2011

When visiting our daughter in Hull, we usually stay at a hotel a couple of miles along the road, which although classed as a budget hotel, always offers stylish, comfortable and warm accommodation. Perhaps I was expecting more from the Holiday Inn, but this was not to be. On the day of our arrival, admittedly the weather had suddenly turned cold outside, but it was the end of November so not entirely unexpected. Our room was cold and unwelcoming on arrival. We managed to work out the heating controls and eventually the room warmed up. We then went down to the restaurant for dinner and were immediately hit by the cold. We noticed other people dining in fleeces and complaining about the temperature, so we were certainly not the only ones feeling the freeze. We had to go and get our coats and sit in the restaurant wearing them, and the food was not worth the chill or the price. The following morning we went down for breakfast and the plates for the hot buffet were cold. The hot food was cold by the time we got it back to our table, so we just decided that cold was obviously the theme of the weekend. Have to agree with other comments about the coffee (or lack of refills). We ate out on the Saturday and I have to say that by the Sunday things had vastly improved - the room was warm, the breakfast was hot and even the plates were warm! Maybe we just got there on the wrong day. On a positive note, the hotel was immaculately clean and the staff were all excellent - fortunately their welcome and enthusiasm was much warmer than the hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank joanmac0
Whitfis, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this review, 2 December 2011
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Hull Marina,I am really concerned to read that your stay was not up to our normal high standard. Unfortunately we did have some problems with our heating systems over the period of your stay, which as you saw where fixed the following day. There can however be no excuse for cold plates, please be assured that this has been dealt with. We have also now changing how we do coffee on a weekend to ensure that there is always a plentiful supply in the restaurant. I have however noted your positive comments about the cleanliness of the Hotel and the the staff. Once again thank you for your constructive feedback, and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Holiday Inn, in the near future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed at the holiday inn in HULL for 3nights this weekend and i expected just basic rooms ,food, attention etc...... so i was very happy to find we were in a very nice room with a very comfortable bed, we were given complimentary bottles of water/some chocolates each day , also as much tea/coffee as we wanted,only had to call front desk if we ran out , the view from our room was of the marina and was lovely ,,although we didnt have an evening meal in the restuarant we did have our lunch in the bar which was also very nice and not to expensive,, the breakfast was very good , great selection,, well worth what we paid for our stay,,

Room Tip: If you want a lovely view of the marina make sure you request it as some of the rooms also face the...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ginasuckling
Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Hull Marina, I am really pleased to read that your enjoyed your stay and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Holiday Inn, in the near future.
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night to meet up with family. What should have been a pleasant evening meal was spoilt by one of the meals being overcooked with no offer made to serve another dish as an alternative. This issue was resolved by the hotel management but annoyingly when checking out I had been charged £5 for parking when other family members were not charged at all. On querying this charge I was promised a refund but despite a follow up telephone call and e mail the promised refund has not materialised. While overall I was satisfied with the amenities provided by the hotel this lack of customer care has deterred me from staying here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Travelbugs915
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your recent stay here at the Hotel.I would like to offer my personal apologies for the level of service you received, this is totally unacceptable, and certainly is not our normal standard. I understand that our Rooms Division Manager has spoke to you and sorted the refund, and also a further gesture of goodwill.
Please be assured that corrective training has taken please with the individuals concerned. Once again thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Holiday Inn, in the near future.
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 26 November 2011

After a long drive a cheery welcome and a quiet room, plus a cheerful barman. What more do you need? It is a small pain having to drive past the hotel to come back, but..everything went very well and the girls at the desk were very helpful with a small query I had. Only complaint- the coffee at breakfast - will call again when the weather warmer!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Whitfis, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
Thank you for your kind comments about the Hotel, I am pleased to read that you had a good welcome at the Hotel, I have also noted your comment about the breakfast coffee and will discuss this with the team. I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back ( I note when the weather is warmer ) to the Hotel in the near future.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2011

I stayed for the fourth time for a few days at this hotel on a business trip. A very average room costs well over £100. OK - there are other benefits - like cheerful and helpful staff, a good bar and restaurant, pool and gym. However, I am appalled at the cost of wi-fi access (£16.50 per 24 hours or £5 per hour!). Interestingly, the Holiday Inn Express, in my view a comparable hotel in the city centre, makes no charge for internet usage. Nowadays, to charge for internet usage when one is already paying quite a whack for normal hotel facilities is reflective of a cheese-paring attitude by management, bordering on rip-off. I, and many other clients have complained about this on previous visits. When are they going to get the message? When we finally stop patronising this hotel? When they go out of business? Think about it, Holiday Inn.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay here at the Holiday Inn Hull Marina,I am pleased to read your comments about the staff and the facilities. I have noted our comments about the Internet and will forward these to the appropriate person. Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.