“Conveniently located above average chain hotel (but maybe best not go in winter unless a well hard northerner)”

Holiday Inn Hull Marina
saarfen-d'on-sea
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This hotel is ideally placed for visiting central Hull which is just 50 yards away on the other side of a busy through road. Not that road noise is noticeable, at least on the marina side of the hotel. Rooms are what you'd expect from a H.I.: clean, good size, comfortable beds, kettle with tea/coffee, reasonably updated bathrooms with individual toiletries, TV etc, oh and an empty minibar(!). There is adequate parking provision which is a chargeable extra on weekdays, and an on-site leisure centre which I didn't use. The dining room is south-facing overlooking the boats in the old dock and cheeringly bright and sunny (at least on the morning I stayed). Staff at reception and at breakfast were very attentive and helpful which was just as well since (a) each mug of breakfast coffee has to be requested, and (b) I needed an explanation as to why the bathroom heating was switched off in subzero January temperatures. The apologetic receptionist explained that H.I. elf'n saftee is concerned people can burn themselves on hot towel rails (but not apparently that they might freeze their nuts off). If I wanted to climb out of a hot bath into the freezing cold banya-style I'd probably go for the authentic experience somewhere closer to St Petersburg than Hull. Though to be fair I was offered an electric heater - er, for the bathroom!! no thanks.
Otherwise I really enjoyed my stay because of the good value, central location, room quality (though not the meat-safe bathroom), the staff, ambience, and breakfast too. In fact I have already booked a longer stay later this year, but his time it will be summer and I'll bring a warm robe just in case.
And please HIHM, if the tea-drinkers can get a pot for breakfast, how about a cafetiere or a coffee jug for us coffee fans? I'm not the first to comment on this.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south are away from the road and overlook the marina
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Nick H, Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Thank you for your constructive feedback regarding our hotel, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed many elements of your stay and that you are coming back to stay with us later this year.
I would like to apologise for your room being cold during your stay, we have, as our receptionist explained, turned off the towel rails in the bathrooms, but during your stay we unfortunately had performance issues with our main heating system due to the unusually cold weather. This is a problem we do not normally have an I apologise it affected your stay, I can assure you that all measures have been taken to ensure others don't encounter the same problem in the future.
With regards to your comment regarding coffee refills at breakfast, you are right you are not the first to bring this up on this website.I have tasked our newly appointed restaurant manager to ensure that this comment does not appear here in the future and I know that he is doing all he can to make sure that it doesn't.
Again, I would like to thank you for your feed back, we need our guests to let us know where we can improve our services to meet and exceed their expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Stayed here on a business trip in January, the rooms are spacious, the staff are great and the facilities are spot on. We also loved the location, its near the shopping centre and city centre , well worth a visit

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
England
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We used the restuarant at the Marina Holiday Inn and evening meal. From the moment we arrive we were treated curtiously . Once seasted our server Mark arrived and carefully went through the menu using his obvios knowledge to inform us of the merits of each dish. We both decided on steak and were asked how we would like it to appear once cooked . He went on to describe varios options - the one we choose was no pink colour ,but still moist. Something I have not been help with before in any restuarant and I have dined in quite a few round the world. While we waited for our food to arrive Mark kept an eye on us and with his friendly banter kept us amuse and entertained. When the food arrived it was superb and just as Mark had advised. We had a really pleasant evening that was made even better by Mark. He is a real gem. Something the Marina Holiday Inn I hope treasures. If you like good food well prepared and delivered with style this is the place to come. I hope that you get Mark as your server!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ian J
Bridlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2012

we decided to have lunch in a hotel in hull because my son was being conferred with a degree at hull university on friday the 27th of january. I booked a table in the restaurant for 12:30 on the friday. On arrival at 12:30 the the woman behind the bar asked us to sit in the lounge and we would be attended to.I went to the bar to get drinks but was told she was busy and would get our drinks as soon as possible. After half a hour the restaurant manager came to take our drinks order and direct us to our table.A painter had to move his dust sheets out of the way to allow us into the restaurant At 1:0 pm we were served with our drinks and later our order for our meal was taken. After a long delay the starter arrived with an apology for the delay. After another very long wait the main meal arrived with another apology for the delay. Finally the sweets arrived with more apologies from the staff.We would have liked coffee to finish the meal but thought the evening dinners might be coming into the restaurant before we had got our coffee. There was only one other table occupied in the whole of the restaurant so I can`t see that the staff had too many people to look after ?
To add insult to injury we were charged £9 service charge.
We left at 3:30 after the longest lunch I have ever experienced.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank frederick l
Thank you for your feed back regarding your lunch with us on 20/01/2012, I am very sorry that your experience was not up t our usual high standard. I have no excuse or reason why your lunch with us was so poor and I believe that the standard of service you have received to be unacceptable. I have fed back your comments to the restaurant manager and his team to ensure that this does not happen again in the future. Again thank you fr your constructive feedback, it is only through our guest comments that we know when we are delivering the great service we aim to give. I hope that you will give us chance to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Hull in the near future
Derbyshire, England
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Stayed here for two nights in January on a great deal booked directly with Holiday Inn.
Arrived late on a cold and windy night but got a warm welcome from the receptionist and where soon in our room which, as requested, overlooked the Marina. The booking staff obviously pay attention to small details as we'd mentioned when booking that our son was boat made... so in the room was a lovely personalised greeting letter and a gift of a handmade wooden model boat for him- just brilliant.

We didn't use the restaurant but the prices looked reasonable and if the food and service came close to the breakfast food and service you won't go far wrong.

The gym is fairly well equipped, if not overly large, and the swimming pool small but big enough for a splash around to start your day off. Again though, the friendly and helpful staff were a credit to the hotel.

Having only booked it as we wanted a cheap weekend away, and because a weekend in Hull sounded so daft to be honest, we ended up finding a gem of a hotel and a great little town too.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank andybev
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2012

This is an over priced Hotel. It is clean, the staff are awesome but it really is not worth the money.

I had to stay one night at the Holiday Inn Express for one night as I made a mistake with my booking and had free wi-fi and a good room for half the price. Moving down to the Marina the room was better, but not worth the cost the wi fi was charged for.

The breakfast was very good

I will not be staying there again as the rates are to high and charging wi fi is adding insult to injury.

Room Tip: Ask for a Marina facing room. Nice view
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank cranjee
Chesterfield
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel over Christmas 2011 and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff were friendly and accomodating, we were able to check in early, departure does not need to be before 12.00. The car park is large and free. The hotel sits in a perfect location on the marina and 5 minutes into Hull. I would recommend this hotel and Hull is a nice city to visit.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple