“Good breakfast next to harbour”

Holiday Inn Hull Marina
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Nice hotel with good service. Swimming pool is big enough to swim nd breakfast is tasty. Harbour view is nice extra but exta bed was a huge disapoinment for an adult.

• Stayed: July 2011

Reviewed 15 February 2012

Was in Hull on business and booked an executive room, sadly the room is no bigger that a standard room, what you get for your extra £30 is a larger tv, a bar of chocolate (every other day) and a bottle of water, not even free wi-fi.Not really value for money.
That being said the food was good, especially the breakfast and the staff very friendly.

Room Tip: Dont expect anything special from upgrading, go for standard and bring your own water and chocolate.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank TSM1962
Nick H, Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel, I am sorry that we did meet your expectations during your visit. The new executive upgrade package is something that is currently under trial and as a company we are assessing customer feedback to understand the perceived value that the upgrade brings.
I would like to thank you fort he very kind words regarding our food and staff courteousness they are very appreciated and I will pass them on the team.
I hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the future and so that you can experience the new upgraded package when it is rolled out across the business.

Reviewed 14 February 2012

stayed here on sunday night restaurant was not open and customers were seate din lounge but not a problem and were able to accomoodate several large parties food fine as was breakfast were not able to upgrade me as no availabilty was not recogniaed as platinum member in room either with no extras that sais room wa sok if a little cold and staff here are always very friendly pool is small but clean and warm generally this is one of the bette rholiday inns if a little pricey

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Having read lots of reviews of hotels in Hull I settled on this one, mostly because of the location. I requested a marina view and was pleased that this was the room we were allocated. When we arrived we were advised that there were two weddings on, but we could have dined in the hotel (albeit in one of the conference rooms). The room was fine, as you would expect from one of the larger chains, but Holiday Inn seem to be cutting back (like everyone else) as all those little extras (tea,coffee,milk,shampoo etc) were kept to a minimum - and no biscuits! Even the towels seem to have shrunk from what I remember. We couldn't use the bar area on Saturday night because of the wedding and the music was very loud, but we did manage a good night's sleep. The breakfast buffet was very good, but again tea and coffee were not exactly flowing - the restaurant staff were friendly but did not notice when cups needed refilling. The marina area is very nice but it is more of a walk to the central shopping areas than I had expected (across a very busy dual carriageway). If I use Holiday Inn in Hull again I would probably use the Express, just because the location would have suited me better (right above the newer shopping centre with cinema and restaurants).

Room Tip: A marina view would be preferable to one of the dual carriageway
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This hotel is ideally placed for visiting central Hull which is just 50 yards away on the other side of a busy through road. Not that road noise is noticeable, at least on the marina side of the hotel. Rooms are what you'd expect from a H.I.: clean, good size, comfortable beds, kettle with tea/coffee, reasonably updated bathrooms with individual toiletries, TV etc, oh and an empty minibar(!). There is adequate parking provision which is a chargeable extra on weekdays, and an on-site leisure centre which I didn't use. The dining room is south-facing overlooking the boats in the old dock and cheeringly bright and sunny (at least on the morning I stayed). Staff at reception and at breakfast were very attentive and helpful which was just as well since (a) each mug of breakfast coffee has to be requested, and (b) I needed an explanation as to why the bathroom heating was switched off in subzero January temperatures. The apologetic receptionist explained that H.I. elf'n saftee is concerned people can burn themselves on hot towel rails (but not apparently that they might freeze their nuts off). If I wanted to climb out of a hot bath into the freezing cold banya-style I'd probably go for the authentic experience somewhere closer to St Petersburg than Hull. Though to be fair I was offered an electric heater - er, for the bathroom!! no thanks.
Otherwise I really enjoyed my stay because of the good value, central location, room quality (though not the meat-safe bathroom), the staff, ambience, and breakfast too. In fact I have already booked a longer stay later this year, but his time it will be summer and I'll bring a warm robe just in case.
And please HIHM, if the tea-drinkers can get a pot for breakfast, how about a cafetiere or a coffee jug for us coffee fans? I'm not the first to comment on this.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south are away from the road and overlook the marina
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your constructive feedback regarding our hotel, I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed many elements of your stay and that you are coming back to stay with us later this year.
I would like to apologise for your room being cold during your stay, we have, as our receptionist explained, turned off the towel rails in the bathrooms, but during your stay we unfortunately had performance issues with our main heating system due to the unusually cold weather. This is a problem we do not normally have an I apologise it affected your stay, I can assure you that all measures have been taken to ensure others don't encounter the same problem in the future.
With regards to your comment regarding coffee refills at breakfast, you are right you are not the first to bring this up on this website.I have tasked our newly appointed restaurant manager to ensure that this comment does not appear here in the future and I know that he is doing all he can to make sure that it doesn't.
Again, I would like to thank you for your feed back, we need our guests to let us know where we can improve our services to meet and exceed their expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit

Reviewed 4 February 2012

Stayed here on a business trip in January, the rooms are spacious, the staff are great and the facilities are spot on. We also loved the location, its near the shopping centre and city centre , well worth a visit

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We used the restuarant at the Marina Holiday Inn and evening meal. From the moment we arrive we were treated curtiously . Once seasted our server Mark arrived and carefully went through the menu using his obvios knowledge to inform us of the merits of each dish. We both decided on steak and were asked how we would like it to appear once cooked . He went on to describe varios options - the one we choose was no pink colour ,but still moist. Something I have not been help with before in any restuarant and I have dined in quite a few round the world. While we waited for our food to arrive Mark kept an eye on us and with his friendly banter kept us amuse and entertained. When the food arrived it was superb and just as Mark had advised. We had a really pleasant evening that was made even better by Mark. He is a real gem. Something the Marina Holiday Inn I hope treasures. If you like good food well prepared and delivered with style this is the place to come. I hope that you get Mark as your server!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple