“noisy!!!!”

Holiday Inn Hull Marina
Hull Yorkshire
“noisy!!!!”
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We stayed at this hotel on New Years I know hotels are noisy at this time of year, but this went on all night shouting swearing the usual for Hull!! my main complaint is we tried on several occasions to call the front desk, but no one answered ,,ever!!! The rooms were cold so much so the staff gave us electric fan heaters , which was fair enough. The hotel is tired and needs a good refurb, On a high note the breakfast was excellent as were the morning staff. At this point we went home to sleep!

Room Tip: rooms facing the marina tend to be slightly more quiet although being next to the A63/Castle Street...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Kerry W, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review, I am really sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay over New Year, however please be assured that we have addressed the points that you have raised and that corrective action is taking place.

I am pleased to read however that you found our staff & breakfast excellent.

Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve our standards.

I do hope that you will choose to stay with us at The Holiday Inn Hull Marina again soon.

Thank you once again for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I arrived to some smiling happy staff who made me feel instantly welcome, the room had a stunning view of the marina and was extremely well kept. The bed was comfortable and the aircon in the room ensured that the room was at the temperature I wanted. In space of curtains there was a wooden blast door type mechanism which meant that it was pitch black all the time which suited me. The gym was small but well stocked and the changing facilities top notch, the pool was nice and warm and very clean, the sauna was perfectly maintained as well.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay at The Holiday Inn Hull Marina.

I was delighted to read that you liked the hotel & Spirit Health Club and enjoyed your stay. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs so I am pleased you found our staff very friendly & helpful.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed 9 December 2012

First, let me start by saying that the staff - from the front desk to the maid service were some of the most professional I have had on the road. They went above and beyond whenever there was a question or concern and were very knowledgeable about the town and food choices. Breakfast was excellent in the morning and the bar and area was relaxing in the evening - a huge bonus during this long business trip.

However, the actual room had much to be desired:
Bed:
1. It was swayback and very uncomfortable, especially around 3 AM.
2. There was no top sheet: the comforter served as the sheet which sort of added to a minor "ewww" factor once I started thinking about it. (I never did test to see if the comforter was laundered between guests. I'm hoping so.)
3. Not by way of complaint, but notice - the room had two twin beds in it.

Room:
1. It was cold - all the time. The heater could never really catch up with the chill outside.
2. Electricity was plentiful around the desk and near the bed.
3. Lighting was dim throughout the night during work.
3. Internet service was a bit pricey; 46 GBP for 4 nights.

Bathroom:
1. It needs some updating. While clean and functional, it is starting to show age and wear.
2. I believe that there are hot-water temperature restrictions in UK hotels and properties, but I could never get a hot shower. It was temperate, but I just could not get it hot.

When I am back in Hull, I will try the Holiday Inn Express for the next stay.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Harry E
Kerry W, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this review, 20 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you found our staff very professional & knowledgeable and that you enjoyed your breakfast and also relaxed in our bar on an evening.

We have taken your points raised onboard with corrective action taking place. We do always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future and thank you for choosing The Holiday Inn Hull Marina.
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I stayed here on a romantic weekend break with my wife, the staff are very helpfull and friendly, the location couldnt be better easy to access, great setting against the boats of the marina and easy to access the shops and the old town, but thats where the good bits stop, our rooom 231 was very poor, the extractor fan did not work, so if you had a shower the mirror steamed up and you couldnt see to get ready, shave, apply make up etc no matter how many times you wiped the mirror, the heated towel rail did not work so your morning shower was with damp soggy towels from the night before, the window didnt close properly took me 15 minutes messing to get it to shut so we didnt have a huge draft coming through the gap, reception asked if we wanted a table in the restaurant for dinner we booked 19.30, went to the restaurant only to find it closed ? to a disco and party, ? no one told us ? reception eventually directed us to a meeting room where some tables had been placed and we ate in there !!! my wife was really dissapointed and upset as the restaurant overlooks the marina..... no one told us if we had known we would have eaten out, on check out ,no asked if we had had a pleasant stay, or even explained why reception led us to believe we would eat in the restaurant when it was closed

Room Tip: dont go in room 231 they empty the bins at 08.00 am at weekend
1 Thank bumshanky
Kerry W, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review, I am really sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay and that our usual high standard of service was not delivered, please be assured that we have addressed the points that you have raised and that corrective action is taking place. I am pleased to read however that you found our staff friendly & helpful and enjoyed our hotels great location.

Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards.

Thank you once again for your review.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2012

The staff are so freindly and helpfull,the room was large very comfortable and looked over the marina,we ate in the restaurant and the food was very good I had rump steak while my husband had braised pork both cooked to perfection my husband works in a restaurant so knows his food,will certainly recommend a stay here.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay, and I am very glad that you liked your room, our fantastic location and enjoyed dining in our Restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Thank you for choosing The Holiday Inn Hull Marina
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2012

We arrived at 15.10 and was given room 130 overlooking the Marina. The reception staff where very friendly and helpfull.

The room was well appointed and clean, with a massive HD Flat screen TV

The position of the hotel allows you to walk easily to Hull city centre.

The only draw back of this hotel is its rather sterile Bar area. Has no warm atmosphere at all. The seating is rock hard with no support for your back. We found that lifting the bottom cushion up and using that as the back rest made it a little more comforatable. Also I never saw anything but Football on the TV screen, blaring out. Perhaps some music and comfy cushions would not go a miss.
As this was a hotel bar the prices where not too high as some hotels I have stayed in.

Breakfast was lovely and hot. It was great to get a nice warm welcome into the Breakfast longe. It certainly woke you up!

Well done Holiday Inn and your front of house staff.
I'm sure we will be back!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay at The Holiday Inn Hull Marina.

I was delighted to read that you liked the hotel and enjoyed your stay, also that you found our staff very friendly & helpful with an enjoyable breakfast and warm welcome. We do take your other point raised on board as we always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations.

Palm Coast, Florida
Reviewed 27 November 2012

After extensive research of hotels in Hull, we decided on this Holiday Inn for the last four nights of a two-week stay in Britain. As suggested by other Trip Advisor reviews, asked for an Executive room with marina view, which we were given upon check-in. Room 335 is at the end of a very long corrider and unfortunately located right next to the service elevator which seems to come to life by 7 am. The room itself is an odd L-shape, with the balcony actually overlooking the hotel's back car park. As some other reviewers have mentioned, walking into the room is like stepping back in time, and I don't mean the rosy, sentimental past that we dream about. The room's furniture looks like it is from the 70s, as do the bathroom fixtures. The television is NOT a flat screen tv. The linens are thin and worn and the toiletries were a mere afterthought.The hot towel rail in the bathroom is turned off "for Health and Safety reasons" explained a staff member.

Yes, the room IS a good size considering its strange shape; there IS a view of the marina from the one set of windows near the bed (really a Queen size for my fellow Americans) and there IS a seating area with two chairs as well as a separate desk area so you can spread out. However, of all the five hotels we stayed in during this trip in October, we count this as our least favorite. The public rooms, including the bar and the restaurant are attractive, looking out onto the marina through large plate glass windows. The breakfast buffet was extensive (by UK standards) and included in the room rate. The staff members are all very friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is within walking distance of both the Princes Quay mall and The Deep (you can see both from the hotel.) But unfortunately all these positives cannot outweigh the old, dated feeling of the building itself. I'm sure that the hotel was considered modern when it first opened but really, it's time to overhaul the whole hotel and make the Holiday Inn Hull Marina "modern" for the year 2012 at least.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here at least ask for a corner room on a higher floor with a view of the marin...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you found our staff very friendly & helpful and that you enjoyed breakfast along with our hotels great location & views. However i am sorry to hear you did not find our hotel up to date with your usual standards, we have taken your points raised onboard and always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations.

We do hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.