“Great service and location, dated accomodations” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Hull Marina

Holiday Inn Hull Marina
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great service and location, dated accomodations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

I stayed 5 nights at the Holiday Inn Hull Marina for business recently and I see why my company recommended this hotel as the location and service were top notch - beyond what I have ever experienced at US or international Holiday Inn's in the past. The location was easy walking distance to spots around the marina as well as city center, train station and the old town.
The hotel itself, however, is old with dated everything (carpet, mirrors, closet, bathtub,etc). I was given a room with two twin size beds that were neither comfortable nor appropriate size for an adult. I asked to switch rooms but they were fully booked :-( I understand nothing could be done to switch me but why do they have rooms with twin sized beds anyway...for an American brand hotel, I expect at least a full size bed.
There was also a smell in a couple of the guest rooms (I know of at least two because I asked to be switched out of the first due to the smell and unclean sheets. The second had the same smell of musty urine but it was not as strong, plus the sheets were clean, so I stayed there. I have given a 3/5 on the rating due to the smell and the twin beds.
I had dinner twice in the hotel restaurant and, again, the service was fantastic! The food was average but certainly acceptable for the price.

Room Tip: Room with a view of the marina and full-size or larger bed would be best.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kerry W, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this review, 14 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you found our staff & service fantastic, however we have taken your points raised onboard with corrective action taking place. We do always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations so please accept our apologies for this inconvenience caused to yourself on this occasion.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future and thank you for choosing The Holiday Inn Hull Marina.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Dover, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

Stayed one night on business midweek in January. Arrived early at 1400 and was able to check in. Reception staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful.

As I went to my room on the second floor, I noted that cleaning staff were still in the process of cleaning rooms, and that a half eaten room service tray (presumably from the night before) was on the floor outside of my room.

Room was large enough and pleasantly furnished, choice of soft or firm pillows, TV was OK
aircon and fan worked fine. View sadly was of the car park not the marina. Bathroom was perfectly adequate with a shower which had some power, although the shower head was fixed too low in my opinion I'm only 5'10" but had to bend my head to get it under the shower.

I left the room about 30 minutes later to go for a walk, and noted that the cleaners had finished and that the room service tray had now moved to the end of the corridor.

Outside the hotel has private parking for £5 per night - not excessive, employer was paying, but is such a charge really necessary? Located adjacent to the marine, the Humber is a 5 minute walk away, with nice views across and along the river. The bank has been renovated and forms part of the Trans Pennine Trail. The Deep is only a 15 minute walk away along the river bank.

I returned to the hotel at about 1700 hours and upon leaving the lift was surprised to find "that tray" was still there. It was still there 30 minutes later when I went to use the sauna and pool, I therefore reported it to reception, who to their credit were very apologetic.

Fitness area seemed fine, with all the usual machines. Changing rooms were clean and functional. The pool was small, but again clean and very usable, with a constant depth of 1.1 metres. The water however was heated far too high for my personal taste. The sauna room(s) however were located inside each changing room - and were therefore separated by sex. No problem on this business trip, however had I been with my wife we would have found this feature annoying.

Upon my return to my room, I noted that the tray had been removed.

Breakfast was OK, nothing special, standard buffet fayre, although only 2 fruit juices (orange and apple) were available which I found disappointing. Extra dishes such as poached eggs and omelettes may be ordered. Like many hotels the scrambled eggs were not the best, strange for something so simple......

The walk in rate shown behind the desk was £139 for a standard room, my employer's travel agency had paid a rate less than half of that. With the price we paid I was content, however I would have been extremely disappointed had we paid the walk in rate.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you found our staff very friendly & helpful and that you enjoyed the hotels gym & location.

We have taken your points raised onboard with corrective action taking place with the tray issue in mind. We do always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations so please execpt our apologies for this inconvenience to yourself.

Porto, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

I stayed at this hotel during a work trip.
The hotel is very confortable and the staff is very nice and professional. The rooms are confortable and very clean. Everything Ok.
I trully recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Kerry W, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this review, 10 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay, and I am glad that you found your room comfortable and our staff very friendly & professional.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Thank you for choosing The Holiday Inn Hull Marina.
Hull Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

We stayed at this hotel on New Years I know hotels are noisy at this time of year, but this went on all night shouting swearing the usual for Hull!! my main complaint is we tried on several occasions to call the front desk, but no one answered ,,ever!!! The rooms were cold so much so the staff gave us electric fan heaters , which was fair enough. The hotel is tired and needs a good refurb, On a high note the breakfast was excellent as were the morning staff. At this point we went home to sleep!

Room Tip: rooms facing the marina tend to be slightly more quiet although being next to the A63/Castle Street...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Kerry W, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review, I am really sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay over New Year, however please be assured that we have addressed the points that you have raised and that corrective action is taking place.

I am pleased to read however that you found our staff & breakfast excellent.

Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve our standards.

I do hope that you will choose to stay with us at The Holiday Inn Hull Marina again soon.

Thank you once again for your review.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013

I arrived to some smiling happy staff who made me feel instantly welcome, the room had a stunning view of the marina and was extremely well kept. The bed was comfortable and the aircon in the room ensured that the room was at the temperature I wanted. In space of curtains there was a wooden blast door type mechanism which meant that it was pitch black all the time which suited me. The gym was small but well stocked and the changing facilities top notch, the pool was nice and warm and very clean, the sauna was perfectly maintained as well.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay at The Holiday Inn Hull Marina.

I was delighted to read that you liked the hotel & Spirit Health Club and enjoyed your stay. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs so I am pleased you found our staff very friendly & helpful.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Thank you for choosing The Holiday Inn Hull Marina.
Springfield, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

First, let me start by saying that the staff - from the front desk to the maid service were some of the most professional I have had on the road. They went above and beyond whenever there was a question or concern and were very knowledgeable about the town and food choices. Breakfast was excellent in the morning and the bar and area was relaxing in the evening - a huge bonus during this long business trip.

However, the actual room had much to be desired:
Bed:
1. It was swayback and very uncomfortable, especially around 3 AM.
2. There was no top sheet: the comforter served as the sheet which sort of added to a minor "ewww" factor once I started thinking about it. (I never did test to see if the comforter was laundered between guests. I'm hoping so.)
3. Not by way of complaint, but notice - the room had two twin beds in it.

Room:
1. It was cold - all the time. The heater could never really catch up with the chill outside.
2. Electricity was plentiful around the desk and near the bed.
3. Lighting was dim throughout the night during work.
3. Internet service was a bit pricey; 46 GBP for 4 nights.

Bathroom:
1. It needs some updating. While clean and functional, it is starting to show age and wear.
2. I believe that there are hot-water temperature restrictions in UK hotels and properties, but I could never get a hot shower. It was temperate, but I just could not get it hot.

When I am back in Hull, I will try the Holiday Inn Express for the next stay.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Harry E
Kerry W, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this review, 20 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

I was pleased to read that you found our staff very professional & knowledgeable and that you enjoyed your breakfast and also relaxed in our bar on an evening.

We have taken your points raised onboard with corrective action taking place. We do always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012

I stayed here on a romantic weekend break with my wife, the staff are very helpfull and friendly, the location couldnt be better easy to access, great setting against the boats of the marina and easy to access the shops and the old town, but thats where the good bits stop, our rooom 231 was very poor, the extractor fan did not work, so if you had a shower the mirror steamed up and you couldnt see to get ready, shave, apply make up etc no matter how many times you wiped the mirror, the heated towel rail did not work so your morning shower was with damp soggy towels from the night before, the window didnt close properly took me 15 minutes messing to get it to shut so we didnt have a huge draft coming through the gap, reception asked if we wanted a table in the restaurant for dinner we booked 19.30, went to the restaurant only to find it closed ? to a disco and party, ? no one told us ? reception eventually directed us to a meeting room where some tables had been placed and we ate in there !!! my wife was really dissapointed and upset as the restaurant overlooks the marina..... no one told us if we had known we would have eaten out, on check out ,no asked if we had had a pleasant stay, or even explained why reception led us to believe we would eat in the restaurant when it was closed

Room Tip: dont go in room 231 they empty the bins at 08.00 am at weekend
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bumshanky
Kerry W, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review, I am really sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay and that our usual high standard of service was not delivered, please be assured that we have addressed the points that you have raised and that corrective action is taking place. I am pleased to read however that you found our staff friendly & helpful and enjoyed our hotels great location.

Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards.

Thank you once again for your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingston-upon-Hull
Premier Inn Hull City Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Hull City Centre Hot...
#2 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Ibis Hull
Ibis Hull
#5 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Holiday Inn  Express Hull City Centre
Holiday Inn Express Hull City C...
#8 of 17 in Kingston-upon-Hull
Lazaat
Lazaat
#1 of 1 in Cottingham

Been to Holiday Inn Hull Marina? Share your experiences!