“Looks nice, but......”

Holiday Inn Hull Marina
London
“Looks nice, but......”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The Holiday Inn Hull Marina looks very nice, and without doubt the location is perfect, especially if you have a room overlooking the marina itself. Rooms are reasonably well equipped, with fairly comfortable beds, plenty of space to work, and bathroom that also functioned correctly and was clean. The issues I had with the hotel are more related to build quality. For some reason, it seems that whenever anyone (even if they are on another floor) flushed the toilet the sound of running water and vibrating water pipes could be heard all the way through to my room. It meant that the room was noisy (despite the fact that no outside noise could be heard) and sleep was frequently disturbed. Sound insulation between rooms was also rather poor - either that or the person in the room next to mine snored like a pneumatic drill.

Whilst there was plenty of space to work, the so called "high speed broadband" was a complete joke. Firstly, it was extortionately expensive at £5 per hour (and it was per hour of time, not per hour of use, so if you purchased an hour of broadband and then had a phone call, you lost that time). Seconldy, it was not "High speed" at all - I have experienced faster and more reliable connections on dial-up. It was so slow, in fact, that I couldn't even download e-mails, so had to leave the work I was planning to do until I was back in the office. Very poor. Its 2014, not 1995.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Sarah W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Guest,

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our location of the hotel when you stayed with us, also that you found our rooms to be clean, comfortable & spacious. However i am very sorry to here you experienced noisy pipework from your bedroom, our maintenance team are now investigating this putting any corrective action in place for the future, so please accept my apologies for this inconvenience caused to you.

Also regarding the WIFI speed we are also investigating this in your room as it is usually a very high speed & quality service that we offer to our guests, which is charged at £16 for 24 hours, and shorter packages are available. We would also like to inform you that we now do offer free WiFi to our IHG Reward Gold & Platinum members and from July 1st 2014 free WiFi will be inclusive to all members of our free to join IHG Rewards Club. So we hope this will help you in the future.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future, and thank you for choosing The Holiday Inn Hull Marina
Kind Regards,
Sarah Whitfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Castleford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Just stopped here overnight on a National Holidays weekend.We were lucky enough to get a marina view room which was a nice surprise.We were greeted by staff on the bus on our arrival which was nice ckeck in was smooth.Staff were very nice and helpful.The room was clean and the food in the restaraunt was good.We will definately go there again in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay at The Holiday Inn Hull Marina.
I was delighted to read that you liked the hotel and enjoyed your stay. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guest’s needs, so I am pleased you found our staff very friendly & helpful and enjoyed your lovely Marina view.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future

Thank you for choosing The Holiday Inn Hull Marina
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I booked this hotel for a surprise birthday treat for my husbands birthday. On check in at the hotel we were given a key to our room to find the housekeeper in the bathroom who then informed us we had to move as no water coming from the taps. So then we went into room number two which was nice. I booked this visit on a DBB rate expecting to have a nice meal on Saturday night overlooking the marina. We found out on check in that there was to be a wedding reception in the Restaurant on this evening and so the restaurant was to be in another room. (We could not even have a nice relaxing drink in the bar as a band were setting up for the function. On visiting the room which was to be the restaurant for the night we found this to be like a canteen with no atmosphere at all and so decided to dine out. I informed the Restaurant Manager who told us that we should have been informed by phone in advance (Not!!!). I asked for the dinner to be refunded as we did not want to eat in the hotel as we could not even use the bar area to have a drink as all the wedding party were in there. What a complete let down and after checking my bill I do feel completely let down and will think twice again about staying again (Only one good thing I can mention is the very nice waitress at breakfast called Lizzy who is a credit to the hotel).

Room Tip: Ask on booking if a function is on in the Hotel
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review, I am really sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay. Firstly i would like to apologise for the maintenance issue in the room when you checked in but am glad to read you liked your new room & found this to be comfortable, we have now fixed that issue so thank you for being understanding on this matter.

We do host many Weddings here at the hotel and do always take great care of our in-house guests needs as well as having many happy brides & grooms, I am sorry to hear you felt let down. Unfortunately we do move our Restaurant into our Humber suite on occasions & always try our best to create a warm welcoming atmosphere for our guests to still enjoy a relaxing evening meal within the hotel. We do ring all of our guests before their arrival to inform them of these changes for this evening so you can make prior arrangments if you wish to do so. Please accept my apollogies if you did not recieve this call & I hope the refund of the dinner rate compensated this inconvenience caused to you. However I am pleased to read that you found Lizzy or staff member to be very helpful, your thanks have been passed on to her.

Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I would have to say the thought of travelling to Hull from Edinburgh did not fill me with glee! I shortly improved my disposition arriving at The Holiday Inn due mainly to the staff. Great hotel and genuinely never met more pleasant people. Congratulations to Jade, Hayley, Maria & Lizzy . Jim Barrowman

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review, I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments regarding our hotel & our staff, these have been passed on to the staff members you mentioned with many thanks.

Thank you for choosing The Holiday Inn Hull Marina
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in a good location overlooking the marina but that's the only positive. The room was very small, dark and extremely scruffy. There were doors banging all night long and the lift was noisy too. Breakfast finished much earlier than expected - half ten on a Sunday morning- and the receptionist didn't mention this or provide any information about the hotel's facilities. The room was only fairly clean. I would not stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adele B
Sarah W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review, I am really sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please be assured that we have taken on-board the points that you have raised and corrective action is taking place. However we have just under gone a 76 bedroom refurbishment so i am sorry to hear this is not to your personal standard. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused to you, and I am pleased to read that you found our lovely location of the hotel a plus.

Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve our standards, so I do hope that you will choose to stay with us at The Holiday Inn Hull Marina again in the future.

Wideopen
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

Another stay another twin room (single beds) with Holiday Inn, they must have it as a preference more me, no matter where I stay with them, Edinburgh, Manchester, London, Hull I always get a twin. And to cap it all my colleague, who checked in after me, gets an executive room despite reception stating rooms are allocated on a first come first served basis.
Add to this Wi-fi you have to pay for meaning they squeeze just a little bit more out of you.
I HATE HOLIDAY INN.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mozroz
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review, I am really sorry to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us, we do always alocate bedroom types to which have been booked and always offer an upgarde when it is avaliable, as we do only have a number of each room type to offer our guests so this is done at the time of booking.
Also we would like to inform you that we now do offer free WiFi to our IHG Reward Gold & Platinum members and from July 1st 2014 free WiFi will be inclusive to all members of our free to join IHG Rewards Club. So we hope this will help you in the future.

Thank you once again for your comments & we do hope to welcome you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future, and thank you for choosing The Holiday Inn Hull Marina.

Kind Regards,
SimonOF
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Lucky enough to be upgraded and given a room overlooking the marina. Nice large room that was newly decorated. Shame the bathroom wasn't which had cracked tiles on the floor.

The room was freezing and took over an hour to warm up.

Food wasn't too bad.

There isn't much choice of hotels in Hull so likely to be staying here again. Hopefully it will be warmer.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the marina are nice.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Sarah W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our lovely views & that you liked our newly refurbished bedrooms. However i am sorry you experienced a cold room, we do still have the heating programmed and have checked the room you stayed in with no reported problems to the system. In the future if it is ever needed we do always have extra portable heaters which we can arrange to be placed in your room for arrival, which we hope will be more to your preferred temperature.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Hull Marina in the not too distant future