“Overnight stay before visit to The Deep”

Holiday Inn Hull Marina
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We booked this as it was part of a deal we had with the Deep. It was excellent value of money. The room was enormous with fantastic views of the marina which was very picturesque. The heat/cool of the room was fine, no problems, plenty of hot water and good bathroom facilities.

The kids used the pool which had some swimming lessons going on for about half an hour of their swim but to be fair the lesson didn't affect the kids enjoyment and they didn't stop my kids going in the pool because of the lesson.

We didn't eat in the hotel save for breakfast which was excellent, fresh and plentiful. The kids loved the pancake machine.

The staff were very accommodating and sang happy birthday to my son at breakfast. the reception staff were great and helped me out with an item I had forgotten to bring without any questions.

I would recommend the HI Hull Marina for anyone staying in the area, great location, easy to find and exceptionally good quality at a great price.

Well done to all staff, keep up the good work

Room Tip: ask for a balcony room overlooking the marina
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Vikspool
Sarah W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear Vikspool,

Thank you for your review following your stay at The Holiday Inn Hull Marina.

I'm also glad to hear you were able to use our outstanding facilities, and your children as many do had fun using the pancake machine.

Thank you for your recommendation of our hotel, it is really appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

If you're looking for city centre hotel in Hull which somehow avoids the problems you associate with city centre hotels - such late night noise and traffic - then look no further. This hotel is ideally located just a few minutes walk from the city centre, right next to the marina - and many rooms have a superb view of the water and boats. If you book in advance - as we did - it's also excellent value, and cheaper than other similar hotels nearby.

The facilities are good - the gym is well-equipped and the pool and sauna are more than adequate. The bar is a little pricey, but the restaurant itself services decent grub. The rooms are furnished to the standard you'd expect, and are clean, light and of a decent size.

I must also single out the staff for praise as they were friendly, considerate and professional at all times. We stayed over a weekend when a wedding was taking place in the hotel, and the staff made sure that all the non-wedding guests had rooms as far away as possible from the function rooms and the rooms of wedding guests - to limit any disruption. In the end it was a well-behaved wedding, but we really appreciated the thought.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear David Moose,

Thank you for your review following your stay at The Holiday Inn Hull Marina.

It really matters to us that all our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay, and I am glad to hear that your room, our fantastic location and facilities met your expectations.

Thank you for your recommendation of our hotel, it is really appreciated.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Stayed at this Holiday Inn while on business in Hull over a weekend
This hotel is well located in marina/docklands part of Hull, close to the main town and near to the pubs and restaurants located in the marina itself.

While not being overly familiar with the Holiday Inn offering this hotel came across as very good, with a number of strengths to put it out at the front of Hulls meagre hotel offering:
Location is very good, quiet and close to town. Also not too far from the main railway station, I walked
A very spacious hotel with good public areas, restaurant and bar
Easy and secure parking
Total hotel wireless (although you must register with IHG (Intercontinental) Group to get access, small palaver)
Has a well equipped gym and small pool on site. Stretching area very limited.
Modern and upto date rooms
Lovely breakfast area, with top breakfast offering to match, loved the Pan Cake machine☺Breakfast also available outside on the marina if weather permitting

Very few grips with this place..
No specialist teas at Breakfast, seemed to be builders tea or nothing
Lifts can be very busy, would makes sense to label the stairs clearly so people on 1st and 2nd floor might use the stairs instead, and ease congestion
Bar - would be good to have some guest local ales on tap

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel.

It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay, and I am glad that you liked your room, our fantastic location and enjoyed your breakfast.

All feedback is appreciated; I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments as this will enable us to better our standards.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Hull is a little gem for a short break. I would never have guessed it had so much to offer. We checked into the Holiday inn with a room overlooking the marina. When the sun shone over the water and some very desirable boats it looked like thesouth of France!
The service was first class and after a swim we had a few drinks inthe bar (not cheap) and then out for lunch. We took advice and made our way to the Minerva pub. The food was delicious and very reasonable. We went onto visit all kinds of free museums and attractions as listed at the touris information centre. Our party of four spent the night at a bozzer called the Bonny Boat. Very friendly with a great atmosphere (from what I can remember)
The following day we made our way to The Deep, the queues were so long we hopped on a Noddy Train for a tour of the attractions. This was the highlight of the weekend. Mel the tour guide, comedian, historian, singer and dancer kept us amused and enthralled for well over 40 minutes, all for £3.00 each.
In conclusion, went to Hull, was: well fed, well "watered" educated, amused, entertained and looking forward to doing the same next year.

Room Tip: Request a marina view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear David,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review, I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments with reference to our staff, we pride ourselves on the service we offer to our guests & always put our guest’s needs first.

We are glad we were able to make your visit one to remember.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We had our wedding reception here on Saturday 23.8.14 and what can I say everything was amazing, The staff where so friendly and helpful in every way they couldn't have done enough for us everyone who attended the wedding commented on how organised it was.. We also stayed over the night and have to say it is one of the best hotels we have stayed in the rooms where so comfortable and clean and the breakfast the following morning was excellent.. We didn't want our day to end would highly recommend this hotel to others.. Would like to say a massive Thank you to all the staff in particular Ashleigh and Andrew who took care of us on our special day

Room Tip: I would recommend any of the rooms as also family and friends stayed other and all commented on ther...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Donna M

Dear Donna,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review and for your kind comments about the Hotel whilst holding your wedding here.

We are so very pleased your special day was perfect as we pride ourselves on the service we offer to weddings and we have many happy Brides & Grooms, so to hear your day was made so special is fantastic news to us.

Your comments have been passed onto the staff especially Ashleigh and Andrew who you personally mentioned, and CONGRATULATIONS again on becoming Mr & Mrs we wish you all the happiness for the future.

Once again thank you for your positive feedback on the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the future, so please do let us know if we can be of an assistance to you.

Thank You for Choosing the Holiday Inn Hull Marina

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Try and get a room overlooking the marina, but if not, the bar and outdoor seating do, and it's gorgeous.
About 10 minutes' walk from The Deep across a loch and then along the sea wall. We went to the Deep for an evening meal (dining with sharks), but you have to book ahead.
We didn't eat there as breakfast is about £15 each. there are places nearby to eat. About 5 minute's drive on the A63 out of town gets you to St Andrew's Quay retail park. There you'll find a MacDonalds and next to the estuary is a Frankie and Bennys (£5 breakfast).
The hotel is nice, as is the pool and gym. Clean and well-furbished. My room was quite big with a double bed, settee, and a separate dressing area. Two friends stayed in an accessible room which was really long and a massive bathroom - plenty of room for the wheelchair to get around. they also had a balcony, but it was tiny, and no furniture out there. it did overlook the marina though.
I was concerned that my friend in a wheelchair was booked into a room on the first floor and the Reception staff didn't inform her of the evacuation process. We had to ask later. We were told we'd have to wait in the refuge area, but no further details given. A big safety risk if people don't know what to do.
When we went to bed, I could make out which songs were being played in the function room, I rang Reception and they said they'd have a word with the DJ. Amazingly the volume dropped within a few minutes. My friends were in the room above the main door to the outdoor seating area (and popular smoker's area). As there was a function on, they could hear the door banging at regular intervals and people talking loudly til late.
Staff were helpful and really friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the marina.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review following your stay at The Holiday Inn Hull Marina.

I was delighted to read that you liked the hotel and enjoyed your stay. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guest’s needs, so I am pleased you found our staff very friendly & helpful. I am also pleased to hear we rectified the noise levels to your satisfaction; we aim to keep our non-wedding guests just as happy as those attending the weddings here.

I will pass on your comments regarding the evacuation procedure for wheelchair users to the relevant departments for review; we appreciate all feedback as it enables us to better our standards we offer our guests.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed in two rooms over a week or so in June when in Hull due to a family illness. The rooms were both roomy and clean. I have stayed here twice before for overnight trips. The bathroom is well provisioned and the towels are nice and fluffy.

The location at the Marina is pleasant. I still can't get over how nice an area it is to explore.

The breakfast is a buffet style but is well laid out and so avoids the scrum of some buffets. There is even a pancake machine which is definitely worth a try. We ate our breakfast outside most mornings which meant we could have the dog with us. A couple of the waiting staff got used to us and headed out with water for the dog and to serve us straight away. A good sign. They also told us that we could eat inside with the dog if we wanted.

Room service was good and delivered on time. Getting through to them via the telephone system was a bit of a challenge. This happened to me on a previous trip as well. So we called reception and got them to connect us.

We didn't use the leisure facilities during this stay. But I have on my previous two visits and have found the pool to be quiet as long as you avoid the time of the swimming lessons. The sauna is a great treat.

Room Tip: Ask for a marina view room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarah W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hull Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear JaneInBrighton,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us, I was delighted to read that you liked the hotel and enjoyed your stay. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guest’s needs and aim high to deliver a great guest experience so I am pleased you found our staff very friendly & helpful, this has been communicated back to the team.