“Poor Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of New Garden

New Garden
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
HULL
“Poor Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

We went here on a saturday night, was supprised there were only two tables eating the rest was empty. (This place used to be full years ago). We was seated and ordered the drinks, they came back to check the drinks order. Then they brought red wine instead of white, they did change it. We then ordered, whilst waiting for the meal a couple came in to order a take out. I have never heard such fowl language of people, even the gent from the other table asked them to be more conciderate. The meal arrived, i had ordered a side portion to go with my main, which after about 3-4 mins the waitress asked if i was waiting for anything else?. After reminding them of my order they then brought the rest out. The place was very cold they had turned the heating off and a lack of lighting. I did tell them the service was apaulling, they did apologise. But we would never go back there again.

• Visited February 2013

Gainsborough, United Kingdom
“Nice Chinese Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

This is the place to come for good Chinese food on a budget.
There is nothing sparkling about the venue or indeed the service but the food is very good, not the best but as far as your budget goes as good as you can expect for the price.
There is plenty of choice and the amount you get would frighten a small person, you certainly don't leave the restaurant feeling you could have had more.
All in all not the most salubrious of surroundings but clean and inviting.
Certainly the place to go if there is not too much of the jangly stuff in your pocket

• Visited October 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very disappoiting”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

My wife and I arrived in taxi at about 10pm on a saturday the driver told us it looked closed.we so a light on and went inside.I ordered 2 halves of lager.the waitress brought one pint instead.I odered spare ribs. My wife ordered salt and pepper king prawn. My spare ribs were over cooked and burnt, but my wifes dish was very nice. I then ordered special chow main and my wife king prawn curry. The king prawns had a black line running through the back, which I believe is classed as poo. So, my wife didn't eat hers and I had king prawn in my dish also. We complained to the waitress and we didn't eat the food. They still charged us full price for the meal and we told them we won't ever go there again! We prefered the old new gardens were they used to serve quality food.

1 Thank annetta22
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“New Garden reborn.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

This is a long standing restaurant but has been shut for quite a while until a total refurbishment enabled it to re-open during 2011. Use to go quite a lot as they did a reasonable lunch between 11am - 2pm for a few pounds. It was a set menu and if you were looking for posh nosh then I'm afraid this was not the place. The decor was fake Chinese but service was reasonable and like I say for the price of the meal it did its best.

But times change and the old 'New Garden' really did look awful, both inside and out, dated, tired, definitely seen its best days, then it closed. For quite a while as well, in the meantime another restaurant opened next door to the empty Chinese, Indian I think and something stirred at New Garden. Now open under the same name but a very different place to what went before.

Out has gone the fake Chinese decor and fixtures in fact out has gone everything as a total re-design has taken place making it light an airy. One of the down side factors is its location, just on the edge of Hull City centre and on the main Anlaby Road so no parking, only on street nearby. And because of that you have to find the place its not on the way to anywhere in particular.

We entered and were served by two charming ladies who gave us menus and a drinks list, like before they were set menus but with a difference. You could pay a little extra and get another course, depending on how hungry you were. My wife and I just chose the basic menu of starter and main course and had two halves of larger. There were about eight to ten people in the place so we didn't have long to wait for our starter course.

Not soup, as you would expect but skewered chicken, spring rolls, and prawn toast, all very tasty indeed, and two of each item. Then the main meal, I had chicken chow mein, my wife curry, served piping hot and not long after we had finished the starter course. The chow mein was very nice, a dash of soy sauce made it really tasty, but my wife wished she had got the same, nothing wrong with her curry but mine looked better she said, no pudding included for the meal we ordered.

Like the previous New Garden not posh nosh but reasonable for the price which was £15 including the halves of larger, bearing in mind its just a basic lunch time meal. So for a Saturday or any weekday lunch, nothing fancy but reasonable this place is worth a try, there is an a la carte menu which we haven't yet tried, ours was a set menu. Service was excellent and the place clean and tidy, as I say the place is a little off the beaten track and you will pass other restaurants on your way. But for a change just give this new 'New Garden' a try you might just like it.

• Visited January 2012