“Lovely little place, lovely food.”
Review of Le Crepier Papin

Le Crepier Papin
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Decided to try this place I wanted to try somewhere a bit different. I visited with a friend on a Wednesday night and the place was about half full. The waitress was very attentive from the moment of seating us, helping me decide what to choose (there were just so many options from savoury pancakes, burgers, kievs etc), right up until we left. I ordered the beef stroganoff which was honestly one of the nicest things I've had at a restaurant recently, full of flavour and accompanied by nicely spiced, sauteed potatoes. My friend had a savoury crepe with salmon which she also enjoyed. I believe our mains were brought to us by the chef/owner who was also very friendly. We both had sweet crepes for desert as we couldn't resist and they were huge! Went away feeling very satisfied. I will definitely be going back to this place, especially as it features on my tastecard meaning I get 2for1 but even without this I feel the meals are fairly priced.

1  Thank emerald85

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I am one of a small group who have visited on several occasions. I contacted Jo, whom I believe is the owner to ask if he would consider opening on a Monday night for an 18th celebration meal for my daughter, the one night they are usually closed. A number of her friends were coming and we needed somewhere local and inexpensive, (as well as adult family) as most of them were still at college and funds were limited. We also needed a menu that suited all tastes - adults, teenagers, vegetarians etc., etc., !! Given we were a party of around 20, all needing serving at roughly the same time, we agreed to pre order and Jo asked that we try and limit the number of options in each course to three. Have you ever tried pinning a bunch of teenagers down to what they want to eat two weeks in advance!! Did the best we could and I hoped and prayed I could sweet talk Jo into accepting the requests. He sure did!! Further, as many of the guests had ordered two desserts from the online menu, which are no longer offered, (gateaux and cheesecake, apparently due to lack of demand), rather than ask me to find alternatives, he had them made especially. I can guarantee they were freshly made in the restaurant as one of the chefs was making them when I called in the day before - fabulous. On the night itself, Jo was away, however all the staff couldn't have been more helpful and made the night really memorable. Not only did they open just for us, they let me in late afternoon and staff helped me decorate with banners and balloons etc., stored the birthday cake, set out the seating the way I wanted, to ensure teenagers and adults could mix as they wanted, put the candles on the cake when ready and carried it in for us, took photographs, asked if we wanted to take our own music in, can I say more?? Oh yes, And..... the food was absolutely fabulous, no moans from anyone, everyone got what they wanted and a thoroughly good time was had by all. Highly recommended. Thanks a bunch to all the staff and Jo for a great night.

Already booked for another meal next week with friends and planning a further visit a couple of weeks after that. What more can I say!!

3  Thank Wendy S
Reviewed 6 July 2014

If you are looking for great, tasty food which is very cheap then you will be very pleased with Crepin Papin. We stuggled to choose a dish as there were so many options. We opted for the French onion soup and garlic mushrooms which were both delicious. For main coursethe tuna steak and the steak au poiivre pancake which were also very good especially the tuna.With 2 rounds of drinks the bill came to £32 which we were happy with.
If you are wanting a really stunning restaurant then this isn't the place for you but if you are wanting a cheap tea then this is a very laid back restaurant with very good food.

2  Thank Nicola C
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Good service in a pleasantly surly sort of way, clean enough to eat off the floor, great creeps and a real taste of France in Hull

2  Thank Happytraveller4943
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I visited here for my sisters 21st birthday. As a large party we took over the whole restaurant, the staff where all very friendly and the chef worked extra hard even thought it was also his birthday. Everyone enjoyed their food and the atmosphere was great - the only downside was the loud background music. If you get a chance you should visit this restaurant.

2  Thank Harley C